Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,753
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

Well, luckily for me. I got my X-mas present early mainly because my GF and I are scheduled to work all through the weekend through Tuesday and so we probably won'd see each other.

The Pros:
I soon as I got the phone, I have a habit of immediately turning on the phone before actually charging the battery. I know, I know, I shouldn't do that. So that battery was at 50%. As we all know, we drain the battery just messing with the phone, tweaking until its an extension of ourselves, and just seeing what it is capable of doing. Well, pretty much ALL day, the battery lasted. It wasn't until I got home, almost 8 hrs since I turned it on and have been messing with it that it finally touched a charger. That's a pretty nice battery.

Another thing that I loved was all the STANDARD features. Which is something other manufacturers should take note. The only thing I installed that I felt it needed before I was able to have more free time for was Facade, Smart411, and Avantgo. Thats it. It had all the alarms it needed, the shortcut buttons were there where they were supposed to be, and there was a little extra icing on the cake for your to meddle with. There was no need for a drastic registry-fixer-upper or a need to install about 5 to 10 plugins. It is just the right weight. The back plastic feels nice, oooooh. Very user friendly, my GF was already messing with it, and she never had a smartphone.

And now, the Cons:

One thing that did bug is that I like my phone to be in the key-locked mode. However, I also would like to prompt it to the unlock screen by just hitting any button. But with the Blackjack, I have to tap the power button (and nothing else) in order to unlock it. Its tedious. The buttons are a bit small for clumsy fingers such as my own, but i'll manage. There is no dedicated button for the CommManager (such as the Cing. 2125) which is okay, it just feels like I am making a step back. I have always had MiniSD, now I am forced to use MicroSD. It has proprietary jack, so no Sony headphones unless I cut and tape some together. No flash, but its not meant to be taking pictures at Wimbleton.

All in all, I think I made the right decision. As you all know, I am flip-phone man. But I think it was a reasonable sacrifice for the comfort and ease of the Samsung i-607. I am going to mess that 2125 and wish I had a 3125. But everytime I check my MGN with my phone, a small smile can be seen off the reflection on my Blackjack's screen. take care y'all.

One more thing, anybody know how to keep Activesync from running automatically? I used that little server trick that I used on my Axim, but it didn't work for my Blackjack. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by SkippyTheNurse: Dec 22 2006, 05:59 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 22 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (SkippyTheNurse @ Dec 21 2006, 09:56 PM) *
...I am going to mess that 2125 and wish I had a 3125. But everytime I check my MGN with my phone, a small smile can be seen off the reflection on my Blackjack's screen. take care y'all.

One more thing, anybody know how to keep Activesync from running automatically? I used that little server trick that I used on my Axim, but it didn't work for my Blackjack. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
laugh.gif Glad you umm, *like* your phone Skippy. What will you do with all your extra time? wink.gif Every time I walk by a Cingular outlet I walk in and just hold the BlackJack. <hold, not fondle dry.gif >I know it's just a dummy...but, it's as close as I'm gonna get to owning one. Why no WIFI? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? As consolation there is a new 3125 in my life. I'm giving it as a gift, but there is a method in my madness. tongue.gif

Anyway...to stop ActiveSync from running automatically can you just go to the file menu in AS then connection settings and un-check the "Open ActiveSync when my device connects"?

Great review Skippy! Thanks for posting.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 23 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I just saw the following on Cingular's BlackJack site:
"Consider the Samsung BlackJack with a plan that offers easy access to both work and personal email for as low as $29.99 Data Connect 10 MB plan. Or step up to the PDA Max plan with unlimited data and 1000 text/IM/MMS messages for only $54.99."

Which did you go with Skippy? Do you really have to buy the most expensive plan to get unlimited internet on this device? I thought Cingular offered an "unlimited data" SmartPhone plan for $19.99 that includes Xpress mail (whatever that is). What is this $55 plan?!?!?! Does the $20 plan work with BlackJack?

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Dec 23 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #4

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 23 2006, 01:39 AM) *
I just saw the following on Cingular's BlackJack site:
"Consider the Samsung BlackJack with a plan that offers easy access to both work and personal email for as low as $29.99 Data Connect 10 MB plan. Or step up to the PDA Max plan with unlimited data and 1000 text/IM/MMS messages for only $54.99."

Which did you go with Skippy? Do you really have to buy the most expensive plan to get unlimited internet on this device? I thought Cingular offered an "unlimited data" SmartPhone plan for $19.99 that includes Xpress mail (whatever that is). What is this $55 plan?!?!?! Does the $20 plan work with BlackJack?

I didn't get their most expensive plan. In my own opinion, they're about the same speed. I don't see the difference. I have the $20 unlimited connect plan and I am just fine with it. There are some that shell out more just for the internet. That PDA MAX does sound like a good deal. However, its not for me since I don't IM much nor do I bother with MMS. So all in all, I'd say that the $20 plan is just fine. As far as text messaging, I have the 200 text message plan. One thing I would invest in would be a good solid case. I bought one of those MOBO horizontal cases for $10. I like it. Better than that $30 Moto Q case.

My Question is this, I never did see the option to de-activate ActiveSync at startup. It still starts up on its own. Is there a registry tweak for that?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 24 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Thanks for the info Skippy. I don't know of a reg edit to do what you want. But, here's more info on what I was talking about. The version of ActiveSync I'm running is 4.2.0 (Build 4876) and here's what it looks like:

Attached Image

You don't have this? Or, is yours different?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Dec 24 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #6

Gadget Junkie

Actually, I believe that we were talking two different things. I was talking about the AS on the BlackJack keeps running on its own. Not the AS on the desktop. Sorry about the confusion.

This post has been edited by SkippyTheNurse: Dec 24 2006, 08:05 AM

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Dec 24 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600

QUOTE (SkippyTheNurse @ Dec 24 2006, 03:02 AM) *
Actually, I believe that we were talking two different things. I was talking about the AS on the BlackJack keeps running on its own. Not the AS on the desktop. Sorry about the confusion.

This is odd. And too would like to know how to stop it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Dec 25 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #8

Gadget Junkie

I think I know who can fix this but doesn't have a Blackjack. Omega2008. He usually can find an answer for anything. Where's he at?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:53 PM