IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why I bailed on GSM, How important is data speed to you?
Does data speed matter to you?
Would you switch your wireless carrier because of data speed?
No, I rarely or never use data on my phone [ 1 ] ** [9.09%]
No, I"m happy with my current carrier's data options [ 2 ] ** [18.18%]
Yes, data speed is very important to me [ 6 ] ** [54.55%]
Maybe, I haven't really thought about it [ 2 ] ** [18.18%]
Total Votes: 11
Guests cannot vote 
smeg36
post Feb 6 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Last August I jumped ship on T-Mobile, and GSM carriers all together. The reason? I was moving to Miami and Verizon has EVDO coverage down here and the Samsung i730, a great Pocket PC Phone. Here is a picture of a speed test that I was kind of disappointed with:

Attached Image

I'm at work right now, and couldn't get a faster test than that. I was pretty disappointed, but realized that any GSM carriers' data speeds won't even come close to that. EDGE is about half that, and UMTS maxes out at about that speed (but isn't available anywhere really, and costs an arm and a leg). My fastest speed test with EVDO is 968kbps. I have yet to break the 1MB mark though.

So that got me thinking. How important is data speed to our average user? Obviously it was important enough for me to switch not only carriers but technologies. I used to hate the whole concept of CDMA. It just seemed overpriced and to difficult to switch phones. And there were very few Windows Mobile devices available for CDMA service. Obviously my opinion has changed and I don't have any plans for the near future to switch back to GSM service. Verizon seems to have the market of cool new devices cornered here in the US, and I can't imagine going without EVDO-speed data anymore. I'll be interested to see the results of how important data is to the MGN users.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Feb 6 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

My story is easy. I switched from ATT to T-Mobile for cheap data. I switched from T-Mo to Verizon for fast data (EVDO). I just ran the same test as you. Sitting in my office and had 577 kbit/sec with the 600K test.

I am very satisfied with Verizon EVDO and at $30/mo a decent rate.

Smeg, There are only a few of us Verizon folks around this board, but with the new phones I see people coming. I still have my family on a T-Mo plan and keep an extra line on family minutes (for GSM testing).

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 7 2006, 01:37 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Yeah, I get the impression Windows Mobile is going to get a big boom in the Verizon area. With the exclusive on the i730, the Treo 700w (for now), and the Motorola Q, Verizon is really hitting Windows Mobile hard. Plus they have the xv6700 already and the i830 coming out soon. Last I checked, that is more Windows Mobile options than any other carrier, past or present. I may be switching to Sprint in August when my contact is up though. Their unlimited EVDO data plan (for phone use only) is only $15. It goes up to $40 if you want to tether, which is still cheaper than Verizon (with their new tethering plan before any discounts).

--------------------

+Quote Post
net_bull
post Feb 7 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 42
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Creative Zen

Data is important to me, and was the reason I moved from ATT to Tmo last year. I'm on Cingular now because of 2125, but EDGE is good too. On a smartphone like 2125, EDGE speed is all I need for pop mail, browse web, etc. and occasionally upload a few files. If I'm going back to a PDA phone like 8125, then I'd prefer to have faster speed. Just wish it could be on GSM rather than CDMA. I travel outside the country couple of times a month so need to be able to pop in local sims.
Can't seem to find a perfect scenario not involving multiple devices. Oh well.

Steve

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 9 2006, 02:58 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

It looks like most people who voted in the poll think data is really important. I would love to get more votes though. Here is a better screen shot of why EVDO is SO worth it:

Attached Image

So all of you considering switching to CDMA for the enhanced speed of EVDO data, go for it. You won't regret it. We can all jump back to GSM in a couple years when they have UMTS or HSDPA at reasonable prices with reasonable coverage. Until then, I'll stick with Verizon (maybe Sprint, but probably not).

--------------------

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Mar 9 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #6

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,048
Phone: Other

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Feb 6 2006, 08:37 PM) *
Yeah, I get the impression Windows Mobile is going to get a big boom in the Verizon area.

At the office here, more than 20 employees have dropped GSM for Verizon EVDO....

Its a virus that has me moving over in the next couple weeks.

--------------------
Samsung Omnia i910 - Former Samsung SCH i760 (2gb MicroSD) - Former Treo700W user
USB720 WWan Device Rev. A for Remote WWAN Access.

+Quote Post
abatis
post Mar 9 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #7

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Secondary Carrier: Sprint

I am now testing Sprint out under there Ambassador Program. I have not set the tether up ye but I plan to test Sprint and Verizon services side by side. What I miss about GSM is the SIM and the ease to change phones and transfer contacts. But data SPEED is most important to me and with solid PPCs like the i730 and others, CDMA is OK in the USA.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 10 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

I'll be interested to hear your comments. I'd love to read about someone who has a PPC6700 on Sprint and a XV6700 on Verizon and see comments strictly on provider service. I'm considering trying Sprint when my VZW contract is up.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:50 PM