Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beam me UP!
chawks2
post Jul 8 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,800

So, I got my Qtek and now I can get rid of my MPx200. biggrin.gif

However, with such a fine product there are always some _minor_ issues needing to be resolved.

Cons - to be worked out

1. DOES NOT PICK UP PHONE CALLS/RECEIVE TXT OR EMAIL MSGS WHEN PHONE HAS BEEN IN A "IDLE" STATE FOR APPROXIMATELY 30 MINUTES. ADDITIONALLY, VOICEMAIL INDICATOR WILL NOT SHOW IF A CALL IS MADE DURING THIS "IDLE" STATE. <crying icon goes here>
-Review documented fixes in this thread; $40 IMEA CID unlocker OR $9 SlipStream software will solve the coma problems.

2. Internet does not work the same, but I'm sure we can get that going.
-Ez fix, just change your GPRS connection to "proxy" if you are in the USA.

Check this link for connections near you:http://www.voq.com/site/downloads/GPRSSettings.htm

3. Construction seems a little flimsier than I thought.

4. Am I the only 1 who likes the menus in a list?? Why does WM5 not allow you to change this feature??
-addressed by reghack, but WHY?!?!?

5. Unable to find a hack to stop the status light from draining my battery!!!

6. Top right key can sometimes be a pain because it is just above the close connection/power button. A little frustrating, but smaller thumbs help. laugh.gif

Pros

1. Design is great, reminds me of one of the robots from "Battery's not included" when it's charging.

2. Camera & Video Recorder are fair, meets expectation level.

3. Media player works well, but have noticed with MicroSD the files take sometime to be loaded. Reminds me of the SD rated speed mpx200 issue. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by chawks2: Aug 2 2006, 11:52 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 8 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

You can switch it back to list from icon by performing this registry hack. You'll need a registry editor like PHM or Resco to do it.

Navigate to:

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMenu

• Change the GridView value to 0 if you want list view.

• Change it to 1 if you want grid view.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
muchomorek
post Jul 8 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #3

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 2,186
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
PMC: Other

4. Unable to find a hack to stop the status light from draining my battery!!!

Do you mean the blinking LED?

--------------------
iPhone 3GS
SP5
Holux GR-236 Bluetooth GPS
MPx200

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Jul 9 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #4

Yeah, anyone know the reghack to kill it?

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jul 10 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

on the LED blinking - see our post on turning WM5 LED off. It works for PPC. A SP experiment would be nice if you want to try.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
rr191
post Jul 10 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,178

How's the battery life so far? Are you getting more than a day's use ou of it?

-- Rob

+Quote Post
VinceClortho
post Jul 11 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,835
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel

Since my QTEK 8500 is bordering on $500 paperweight status with the missed calls issue (see HoFo for details), I decided to give the LED hack a shot. Doesn't work.

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Jul 11 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #8

The battery is fantastic. I have charged it once(Monday afternoon) since friday night, and I have been using the phone quite a bit, playing SmartNES, Camera, VideoCamera, editing the registry (bummed about LED hack not working dry.gif ) etc.

It took approx 1 hour to get a full charge from the outlet charger, not sure about the USB one tho. Not sure what the deal is with the missed calls. Can someone post this link from HoFo? Thanks.

This post has been edited by chawks2: Jul 11 2006, 10:46 AM

+Quote Post
VinceClortho
post Jul 11 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (chawks2 @ Jul 11 2006, 05:45 AM) *
The battery is fantastic. I have charged it once(Monday afternoon) since friday night, and I have been using the phone quite a bit, playing SmartNES, Camera, VideoCamera, editing the registry (bummed about LED hack not working dry.gif ) etc.

It took approx 1 hour to get a full charge from the outlet charger, not sure about the USB one tho. Not sure what the deal is with the missed calls. Can someone post this link from HoFo? Thanks.

Enjoy, it's quite a read. You may want to test yours out. The problem seems almost universal with a few exceptions.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=950133

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 11 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486

When Vince mentioned the "missed call" problem yesterday I went and read all the HoFo threads I could find regarding the HTC StarTrek. It seems this is too big a problem NOT to be solved quickly with an updated ROM. One would hope anyway!

But, it is interesting just the same. How does this happen? I've only recently joined the Smartphone community and have only had exposure to two Motorola phones - the MPx200 and 220. I've dealt with their issues and pined for an HTC device since it seemed these were the "cream of the crop" - so to speak. I'm VERY much inclined to want a flip/clamshell form factor and this is just soooooooooo disappointing to see that even HTC can't seem to get it right (out of the box). On top of the phone not having WiFi, I'm just not sure what will be the answer for ME?

Tell me again, how terrible is the MPx300 (MPX)? laugh.gif Darn it, that's not a Smartphone - on top of IT's other shortcomings. sad.gif dry.gif mad.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Jul 11 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #11

After just realizing the issue early morning today, I'm super disappointed. I was able to successfully duplicate the problem, but I am unsure how or who to direct my anger towards.

If memory serves correctly, the MPx200 had an issue with not being able to get into voicemail. For some unknown reason, the touchpad did not recognize the numbers keyed in. The way I resolved the problem was by upgrading the firmware to the EUR/Orange and everything worked perfectly.

I really hope this can be worked out soon. In the meantime, just open it up every 10m and you should be fine. dry.gif

How is this problem not identified during testing? Is testing done? Or is this a rush to the market item? I thought Dopod had a similar phone in Japan, I wonder if they experience the same issue.

+Quote Post
VinceClortho
post Jul 11 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (chawks2 @ Jul 11 2006, 03:56 PM) *
After just realizing the issue early morning today, I'm super disappointed. I was able to successfully duplicate the problem, but I am unsure how or who to direct my anger towards.

If memory serves correctly, the MPx200 had an issue with not being able to get into voicemail. For some unknown reason, the touchpad did not recognize the numbers keyed in. The way I resolved the problem was by upgrading the firmware to the EUR/Orange and everything worked perfectly.

I really hope this can be worked out soon. In the meantime, just open it up every 10m and you should be fine. dry.gif

How is this problem not identified during testing? Is testing done? Or is this a rush to the market item? I thought Dopod had a similar phone in Japan, I wonder if they experience the same issue.

The Dopod users on HoFo are not expriencing this problem. The latest communications indicate that HTC is working on a fix, but there's a lot of PO'd people right now who were expecting better of HTC.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 12 2006, 08:19 AM
Post #13

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (chawks2 @ Jul 11 2006, 01:56 PM) *
It reminded me of the problem some MPx220 users had maintaning the ability to connect to the internet. There was a bunch of posts regarding this issue and people were looking for ways to keep their connection "alive" by having the phone do something internet related every 10 minutes or so so they could connect to the internet if they wanted to without rebooting. There was lots of talk then about what towers were connecting etc. I was told the issue just sort of dropped 'cuz it went away after awhile for most people (perhaps the carrier(s) made an adjustment to their network). I came along months after everyone was having a fit over the issue (trading in 220s for Razors etc) and there I was with the same problem, but nobody else seemed to be having it any longer. It was worse on the ROM my phone came with and improved by loading a newer ROM. I used to be able to watch it happen. Two minutes after turning the phone on the carrier name would drop out and it would say "searching...". When it regained a signal connecting to the internet was impossible. But, if I'd make a GPRS connection in that intitial two minutes, I could make an internet connection any time after that that I wanted.

This issue sounds very similar to me. BTW, the issue for me only occurred on Cingular's network. The same phone/same ROM on T-Mo worked just fine. It would not drop the signal then search out a new tower. Once it connected, it just stayed connected. It made $$ sense for me to stay a Cingular customer so I'm glad the updated ROM fixed my situation.

Based upon this example, it seemed like a network problem at first, but was it really if an updated ROM fixed it? Clearly, the different networks handled the same situation (fresh boot) differently and one ROM was able to deal with it and the other was not. Hopefully a new ROM is on the way for the StarTrek that fixes it across the board. The difference this time seems to be most (if not all) networks are experiencing the same problem and it may be a different branded handset (with a different ROM) is not having the trouble.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 15 2006, 09:55 AM
Post #14

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

I don't think these problems are issues on the i-Mates either, at least I haven't noticed any of these issues yet. I have had missed calls, and I have gone more than ten minuts of it being closed while idle and been able to answer a call. Also, is it an i-Mate thing where you have the option of having list or grid (for the start menu and file explorer)? This is a setting that I can toggle back and forth as I see fit, but for some reason I think I am one of the few that prefers grid over list (at least on the start menu).

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Jul 16 2006, 05:24 AM
Post #15

It seems the "idle" time is approx. 30 minutes. For me it's not just calls, it's text msgs & emails as well. sad.gif

I'm just disappointed because I really am in love with the phone and it's unfortunate the most basic function is flawed. Kinda happy I'm not a heavy phone user, maybe this will turn me into one. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Jul 25 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #16

For those of you who have the phone and are not aware, you can download "Stay Connected for Smartphones" From SlipStream Solutions. BTW, a gent lokjje found this, just giving him props. wink.gif

http://www.slipstreamsolutions.co.u...ayConnected.htm

Then set the configuration like this:

Dial if Not Connected - Yes
Operating System Can - Yes
Check Every - 300 seconds

You can d/l the trial for 15 days, hopefully Qtek/HTC have a resolution by this time.

This post has been edited by chawks2: Jul 25 2006, 12:17 PM

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jul 25 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #17

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I just ordered a Qtek 8500 for my wife. Overall, are you Star Trek owners satisfied with the phone?

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Jul 26 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #18

I love the 8500, now that I can receive calls! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 26 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #19

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

What changed chawks2? I haven't been keeping up with the "no answer" problem since I don't own the device. But, I am curious, and think the "fix" should be mentioned here - since the "problem" has been discussed.

edit...is it just that you've added the temporary "Stay Connected for Smartphones" fix? Or, is there some sort of "official" resolution of the problem?

--------------------

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Jul 27 2006, 02:15 PM
Post #20

There is a documented fix. You can purchase a CID unlocker from some yahoo for $40, thus allowing you to install either the DOPOD or iMATE roms on this phone, this has been successfully tested and the missed calls problem goes away. I am assuming the company will come out with a firmware which fixes this problem, but you do not know how long it will take. The band-aid at the moment is installing the "Slipstream Software" - the configuration should be:

Dial if Not Connected - Yes
Operating System Can... (too small to finish reading) - Yes
Check Every - 300 seconds

This will prevent the phone from going to a coma and you will not miss any calls or text messages.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:31 AM