IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Important announcement about firmware - Please read!
Sean
post Jan 28 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

This whole firmware thing has gotten way out of hand and it will now stop. I am sick of requests to me for it - I DON'T HAVE IT! I have had 4 separate Black belts or Sensei's ask me to do something so now I am. Here are the rules:

1. Do not PM anyone for the firmware, if you do and they tell me I will ban your IP from the site.

2. Do not email anyone for the firmware, if you do and they tell me I will ban your IP from the site.

3. Do not use any of the instant messenger services to ask for the firmware, if you do and they tell me I will ban your IP from the site.

4. Do not post a request for the firmware to be emailed or anything else. If I see a request and I am in a good mood I will delete it, if I am in a bad mood I will ban your IP.

Don't mess with me on this, I can ban you faster than you can say oops. I hate to have to do this but come on, someone actually threatened AJ. Get a grip people, you could always pay GSMLocker.com $100 if you want it so bad.

Let's go over it again, no PMs, no emails, no instant messaging, only the request forum.

If you are lucky and you ask real nice in the forum, you may get it but if you get annoying - BAM - your gone.

Got it? Can you tell I'm pissed? Don't make me block you, follow the rules.

Sean

PS. I will of course publicly humiliate anyone who makes me block them.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thankins
post Jan 28 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,425

Good Job Sean, I was sick of seeing the same post over and over on the site when I came to visit. Glad to see some action being taken. =D>

+Quote Post
RandyRants
post Jan 28 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 59

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

+Quote Post
smittyofdhs
post Jan 28 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 31

how about adding no more "I flashed my device and now xx doesn't it work right" or "I flashed/unlocked my device and I need settings for xxxx carrier". Dear god people! That's what you get for flashing/unlocking your phone. Quit flooding the boards with the same old question.

WAY TO GO SEAN!!!

--------------------
My PDAs: Handspring Visor Deluxe > Handspring Edge > Ipaq 3850 > Siemens/AT&T SX56 PPCPE > Moto MPx200 Smartphone > Audiovox 4100 PPCPE > Audiovox SMT5600 > Cingular SX66 PPCPE > RIM Blackberry 7520 > RIM Blackberry 7100i > Verizon XV6700 > Samsung BlackJack > AT&T Tilt

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 29 2004, 02:11 AM
Post #5

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

We/I should compile these settings in the FAQs, good point.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
jvanliew
post Jul 14 2004, 07:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,416

Thanks for the clarification Sean. I did not know there was a seperate forum for these requests.

I think you guys should lighten up a little!

We're all just trying to get the most out of our phones. Some people may have more time than other to cruise these boards and gather information. Some may be more technically savy, but what is this forum for? Hopefully to get and share information.

I think you did the right thing Sean by clarifting that there is another forum for these posts, as opposed to complaining about all of the posts.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Jul 14 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #7

Site Administrator

Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile

If people would take a few minutes to look, most of the answers are here. Unfortunately people are lazy, and think their time is more valuable than everyone else's, so they don't bother to look. And that does tend to get frustrating. Especially when you just answered the exact same question 2 days ago for someone else.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
normie
post Jan 17 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,890

I've searched the forum, and pretty much the entire internet.. Seems that the "new Forum for Firmware requests" does not exist. Do any of you fellows have an idea of where I would post such a request?

+Quote Post
KingDaddy
post Jan 17 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #9

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 188
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

You have searched too hard if you didn't see the recent announcement about Sean removing the firmware requets forum...

--------------------
Lambrettas: 1974 Jet 200

Vespas: 1987 PK50XLS Plurimatic, 2001 ET4 150

Clearance: Interim Top Secret

+Quote Post
chuckyd850
post Jan 18 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,930

I've been visting this site and reading the forums for some time now and this is the first post i've ever made. Why? because every single question ive ever had was answered in a few minutes of searching. I really don't understand why people say that they dont have the time to search seeing as how it takes longer to post a question and then wait for a reply. thanks, chuck

+Quote Post
olobley
post Feb 11 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,431

Sean & Staff,
Good job on the boards!
Quick question - did this site host firmware(s) in the past? If so, why were they taken down?
I'm hosting some on my site at the moment, but am not really wanting legal hassles!
Any thoughts/ideas?

+Quote Post
nbercasio
post Feb 11 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #12

Super Moderator

Member No.: 593
Phone: MPx200

QUOTE (olobley @ Feb 11 2005, 03:56 PM)
Sean & Staff,
Good job on the boards!
Quick question - did this site host firmware(s) in the past? If so, why were they taken down?
I'm hosting some on my site at the moment, but am not really wanting legal hassles!
Any thoughts/ideas?

Please check the beginning of this thread.

This post has been edited by nbercasio: Feb 11 2005, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
alynch75
post Feb 20 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,457
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
PMC: Other

QUOTE (nbercasio @ Feb 11 2005, 05:41 PM)
Please check the beginning of this thread.

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ May 26 2004, 12:14 AM)
Off Topic: What Service?

biggrin.gif I just purchased one of the firmware upgrade packages on ebay. I was skeptical but I installed it. It upgraded my MPX 200 with 2002 mobile to the Mobile 2003 version. It also unlocked the phone and now its Triband instaed of dual. They also had alot of games and etc. Its a 15MB download. If you need it send me a pm and I will email you the link. Remember its a 150mb download and contains the rom flash and the upgards with alot of other games and apps. If you want the ebay link I can send you that but why pay if I already paid I can give you the link. Let me know.

*LINK REMOVED*

*LINK REMOVED*

This post has been edited by GrYph0n: Feb 20 2005, 08:07 PM

+Quote Post
abell4
post Mar 3 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,673
PocketPC: Dell

I'm haven't been on the site in a long while and I'm trying to play "catch up". I suppose I have been under a rock for a while as I am an mpx200 owner that doesn't have the 2003 firmware. My questions is why is this a big deal to obtain it and why is this site taking such a strong stance against people obtaining it? Are there some legal issues involved? Excuse me in advance for my ignorance on the subject.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Mar 3 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #15

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
MP3 Player: Creative
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

QUOTE (abell4 @ Mar 3 2005, 04:02 PM)
I'm haven't been on the site in a long while and I'm trying to play "catch up".  I suppose I have been under a rock for a while as I am an mpx200 owner that doesn't have the 2003 firmware.  My questions is why is this a big deal to obtain it and why is this site taking such a strong stance against people obtaining it?  Are there some legal issues involved?  Excuse me in advance for my ignorance on the subject.

Personally if you are to come across it then that is on you completly. The site will no longer be the place to ask for it though. Feel free to discuss on the topic, just no links to firmware, or requesting firmware.

To answer your question, it is of legal concern. There wouldn't be much difference in posting Windows XP for those running 2000 to upgrade to. Granted we are talking a big money difference, but it is the principal behind it. No upgrade was ever offered, and you are licensed for thecopy that origionally came on the phone.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
aves_okc
post Aug 19 2005, 02:15 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 9,784
Carrier: Alltel

I noticed someone said they purchased a firmware upgrade on EBay. I'll check that out when I get home tonight (blocked at work). I noticed this post said it made the phone a tri-band. The model I bought has only european gsm bands, so my reception in Oklahoma leaves a little room for improvement. Will a firmware upgrade like that enable my phone to recieve US band (1900, ect) towers too?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Aug 19 2005, 02:26 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

All MPx200's already have the 1900Mhz band on them. They are either 1800/1900 (AT&T version), or 900/1800/1900 (European versions). You probably need the 850Mhz band, which no MPx200 has, or can have regardless of ROM flashing. The ROM flash enables the 900Mhz band on some AT&T version phones.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
gsmnutt
post Aug 25 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #18

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,541
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
PMC: Other

QUOTE (aves_okc @ Aug 19 2005, 09:15 AM)
I noticed someone said they purchased a firmware upgrade on EBay.  I'll check that out when I get home tonight (blocked at work).  I noticed this post said it made the phone a tri-band.  The model I bought has only european gsm bands, so my reception in Oklahoma leaves a little room for improvement.  Will a firmware upgrade like that enable my phone to recieve US band (1900, ect) towers too?

I would also like to add that even though the ROM enables the 900mhz band in menu, most people who have taken this phone to Europe have found that it still doesn't recieve signal on the 900 band due to AT&T & Moto messing with other stuff in the phone (likely hardware).

JUST NOTE: Those guys on eBay are just making you pay for the same software they downloaded for free (from various places which can't be discussed here). They are not licenced to sell it and they have no affiliation with Motorola or Microsoft.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:49 PM