IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forcing backlight to turn off when making a call (registry edit)?
fenningenarius
post Oct 1 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,475
Phone: Motorola Q
Carrier: Verizon

Hello,
I bought a Motorola Q this week, which runs the Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone software. You have probably heard about the very annoying buzzing sound that the keypad emits when the backlight/keypad light is on. As soon as the keypad light and screen backlight turn off, the sound goes away. It's only audible (to my ears at least) when making a call (when the phone is near the ear).

I was hoping there would be some way to force the backlight (or just the keypad light) to turn off as soon as the phone is actually connected and making a call (perhaps through a change in the registry). You don't really need the backlight turned on most of the time when you're talking on the phone anyway.

If not through a setting/registry change, is there any way to turn the backlight off by pressing/holding a certain key?

The best solution I've found so far is to set the backlight timer to 5 seconds, but I really prefer to leave it at about 30 seconds though. I just cannot stand hearing that buzzing sound for the first 30 seconds of every call I make. It's also annoying when it comes back on every time I adjust the volume during a call.

Thank you for any help....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 1 2006, 05:51 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

If you press and hold the Message key the backlight will turn off. I don't think there's any registry setting that could turn off the backlight when a call is made. The best bet would be someone writing a program to do specifically that, but I doubt that's going to happen. Having owned a Motorola Q, I know what you are talking about with the keyboard buzzing, but it shouldn't be loud enough to hear when making a call, only if you hold your ear directly to the keyboard. I'd check out some demo Q at a VZW store and see if it is as bad as yours. If not, try getting a replacement.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
fenningenarius
post Oct 1 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,475
Phone: Motorola Q
Carrier: Verizon

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Oct 1 2006, 12:51 AM) *
If you press and hold the Message key the backlight will turn off. I don't think there's any registry setting that could turn off the backlight when a call is made. The best bet would be someone writing a program to do specifically that, but I doubt that's going to happen. Having owned a Motorola Q, I know what you are talking about with the keyboard buzzing, but it shouldn't be loud enough to hear when making a call, only if you hold your ear directly to the keyboard. I'd check out some demo Q at a VZW store and see if it is as bad as yours. If not, try getting a replacement.

Thanks for your help.

Knowing about the message key will certainly help.

I already tried to return my Q the same day that I bought it, thinking this was just a defect and not a problem with the entire line of phones (I still do think it's a pretty big defect though...). The guy at the store told me that all of the phones behave this way, so I didn't exchange it. Perhaps you're right - maybe my phone's buzzing is louder than others. I can very easily hear when the backlight turns off when making a call.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:53 PM