Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hello... anyone out there?
Skitals
post Dec 14 2003, 03:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 699

Sad to see this forum so dead. Everyone has been raving about the mpx200 so much and the i600 hardly gets any mention :? I dont know about where you guys are, but in my area Verizon has better coverage then any other provider... easily. The mpx200 are pretty much identical in feature, the only difference being looks and price. The way I look at it though, even if you can get something comparable for much cheaper with a different carrier, what good is it if it doesnt work most places around you?

I've been thinking about trying out t-mobile, cause they are better around here then att. I had t-mo ages ago when they were voicestream, and Im hoping it got better since then. Then I realized if I had to get a mpx without the rebates and such, I would still be paying $400... then I would need to unlock the phone, and start/activate a new t-mo account sad.gif Then, if the rumors that t-mo is coming out with the mpx220 in the next 5 months, I wont be able to upgrade without paying the full retail price AGAIN.

I opted to not extend my contract with verizon 2 more years and instead bought the phone on ebay. My contract already doesnt end until november of 04, but I have 3 lines and I can drop one any time I want without a termination fee. I got an okay deal on ebay (about what you would pay w/ activation from verizon) so I figure I can always sell the phone and get most of the money back, and start a t-mobile contract any time I like, and still be eligible for the discounts. Plus, I reckon its only a matter of time before the i600 is hacked and the stupid app-lock is removed.

Anyway. I had the money sitting in my paypal account so it wasnt that big of a loss to my bank account anyways smile.gif

And fyi, I paid $575 shipped for the phone, WITH a 256mb sd card and a the optional leather swivel case. By the time you paid $499 at verizon, paid shipping and taxes, bought a 256mb sd card, and bought the case you would be over my price. Just bought tonight... shipping monday.

Wish me luck biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thor
post Dec 14 2003, 04:01 AM
Post #2

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 328
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Other

my guess about why this forum is dead is because the sites name is "mpx200.org"...ie...it visitors will be mostly mpx200 owners or people interested in the mpx200

I wish you luck in getting a i600 community going here...the more people the better...

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Dec 14 2003, 04:10 AM
Post #3

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 470

I should add, you can get an Mpx200 for 169.99 without rebates at Amazon.com (Free shipping too!) and hook it up with TMobile, or get it for free with ATT, I don't know where your getting this 499.99 figure from. I agree Verizon has the best coverage, however T-Mobile's service is pretty good in NY, and they have better data and voice plans. Verizon's plans and phones are too expensive.

+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2003, 05:12 AM
Post #4

Group:
Member No.: 0

I should add, you can get an Mpx200 for 169.99 without rebates at Amazon.com (Free shipping too!)  and hook it up with TMobile, or get it for free with ATT, I don't know where your getting this 499.99 figure from.  I agree Verizon has the best coverage, however T-Mobile's service is pretty good in NY, and they have better data and voice plans.  Verizon's plans and phones are too expensive.
Ummm.... actually the mpx200 is still $399.99 without a service plan at Amazon.

Phone only purchase:  
 Motorola MPx200 Smartphone - Next Generation (AT&T)
Avg. Customer Rating:  
Usually ships in 24 hours

Phone Price: $399.99
(without service activation)

To get the phone for $179 and then not activating would not be legit, even if you didnt send in the rebates.

+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2003, 05:13 AM
Post #5

Group:

my guess about why this forum is dead is because the sites name is "mpx200.org"...ie...it visitors will be mostly mpx200 owners or people interested in the mpx200

And if you look right under the title it says:

"News, Reviews, and Help for the MPX200, SPH-i600, and SmartPhone Community"

Doesnt look mpx200 specific to me.

+Quote Post
Skitals
post Dec 14 2003, 05:13 AM
Post #6

Doh! I forgot to log in, those last 2 posts were mine.

+Quote Post
Thor
post Dec 14 2003, 06:09 AM
Post #7

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 328
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Other

To get the phone for $179 and then not activating would not be legit, even if you didnt send in the rebates.
actually this is perfectly legit...I was completely honest with AT&T when I called to cancel the service...I told them I was switching to T-Mobile because they had better data plans and that I had bought the phone from Amazon...

as long as you don't try to take advantage of the rebates (Which require a contract) then you can cancel the service and keep the phone...that little thing that says purchase with service plan doesn't mean you have to stick with AT&T...nothing on amazon's sites says you have to stay with AT&T once you get the phone...you just have to purchase the phone at Amazon with a service plan to get that price...it is entirely legal to cancel that service once you get the phone...

And if you look right under the title it says:

"News, Reviews, and Help for the MPX200, SPH-i600, and SmartPhone Community"

Doesnt look mpx200 specific to me.

yes..that part doesn't look mpx200 specific to me either...but the thing that gets you here is entirely mpx200 specific...and that's the domain name mpx200.org...the domain is the one thing that makes the first impression about what a site will be about...

to be honest I'm kinda surprised they are trying to make this into a community site...even when that domain name is specific to one phone...

+Quote Post
Skitals
post Dec 14 2003, 06:57 AM
Post #8

to be honest I'm kinda surprised they are trying to make this into a community site...even when that domain name is specific to one phone...

I agree... it sorta seems like they registered a domain, and worked with it. Ive done that before. Register a domain with one thing in mind, and try to make it work with something else.

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Dec 14 2003, 01:11 PM
Post #9

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 470

It's a very interesting debate we are having. I went through this myself. Here is the way I look at it: I had Verizon, I wanted to get the Samsung because I liked Verizon's coverage, however these are the reasons I decided on the MPX200 with TMobile:

1) Saving me a lot of money. Not only am I saving $330 on the phone, but I am also saving 5 dollars a month with a better voice plan for TMobile that fits my needs. Let's let the tax on the 499 cancel out the fact I need to purchase an additional clip. As far as memory, that is really not a necessity I crave, it's a luxury. Total Savings over a year = $390 bucks. 330 saving on the phone, and then 60 a year in voice plans. In addition, with T Mobile I get the added feature of unlimited free WAP plan and the ability to pop/smtp my yahoo mail. I could not get these services with Verizon for free. In addition, I am trying to get a $120 rebate from Amazon by sending them my first bill from ATT, if that works, my savings becomes $510 bucks. If not, I am still at $390.

2) The actual Mpx200 is lighter than the Samsung. I am very big on portability and I want to have the lightest equipment on me. It's bad enough my company makes me carry around a Motorola Talk About pager, and this is why I wanted a smartphone so I wouldn't need a PDA to lug around anymore. The Samsung is more bulkier and weighs I believe 1 more ounce than the Motorola. The Samsung has a faster processer 200 mhz to 133 on the Mpx200, however, I don't plan on doing heavy computing on it, so that was not a big enough difference to me. This is all about personal preference, and mine is to carry a smaller/light phone over a small hardware performance increase.

3) Now I agree, Verizon's coverage here in NY and probably everywhere else is better than ATT or Tmobile. This is the only disadvantage I see with my choice. However, it's a small disadvantage because I am still able to make the calls I need to when I need to. I have only really seen 2 dead spots with T Mobile, and every carrier does have dead spots. If the service is unusable, then I would have to stick with Verizon, but T Mobile's service is servicable.

Final Summary: The decision was easy for me, It will cost me ALOT less to get an Mpx200. This was the ultimate factor. The better coverage vs the added free data plan I now have offset each other. The tiebreaker was the money to me, and I think that is a pretty big tie breaker! I am not trying to start a war here, just wanted to let you know why I made the decision I have made.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Dec 14 2003, 01:44 PM
Post #10

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

So I guess I should ring in here. I am thrilled to see activity in this forum. This site as you are seeing it right now is probably MPx200.org but don't get hung up on the domain name too much because you can also go here http://www.sph-i600.org You will see that this site says MPx200.org at the top also but as soon as I can figure out how to change that I will (it is a database nightmare).

From what I can tell from my unscientific research and surveys the current market share in the US is about 70-85% MPx200 and 15-30% others including the i600. I think this has something to do with the heavily lop-sided usage here. Another factor is that I have never seen Verizon customer forums. We use the AT&T forums to help alert MPx users about the site. We don't really have a good source to bring you i600 users in.

I personally use the MPx and so does Rey and the other folks that are heavy posters right now but we do our best to try to involve the i600 people. I link to every bit of i600 news I can find on the home page, I have nearly equal coverage in the FAQ for each phone, and I welcome anyone who would like to get involved who is an i600 user.

We welcome you and no that the "why is this place dead?" question is behind us, let's get this section flying.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
Skitals
post Dec 14 2003, 03:40 PM
Post #11

I guess it's just sorta annoying when you read a HARDWARE review and it comes down to how much a CARRIER decides to charge you for it. I was talking earlier about registering domain names... I have had many websites myself in the past. Subsequently I have made lotssss of money at my young age. Being 17 I still dont have any bills to pay or responsibilities with my money. This means I can dump it all into my car and expensive toys smile.gif

Now if I still dont like the i600, I wont hesitate to put it back on ebay smile.gif I probably dont travel around as much as most, but I have NEVER been without a usable signal w/ verizon. That sounds like an exaggeration but its not. This is one of those luxaries that I am use to and not quite redy to let go of wink.gif I just know how much it would tear me up if I was sitting at a bus station with a lot of time to kill and think "i can go on AIM or IE and kill some time!"... only to pull out the phone and have no signal. At those times smartphone = paperweight, of course except for its offline capabilities.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Dec 14 2003, 03:42 PM
Post #12

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

I too love toys.

+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2003, 06:30 PM
Post #13

Group:

xx

+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2003, 06:36 PM
Post #14

Group:

I am sitting here with both an MPx200 from AT&T and an i600 from Verizon and trying to figure out which one to keep. The pros and cons:

1. Prefer the form factor of the mpx200, and its a better phone from the point of view of weight, size, and keyboard layout.

2. Verizon CDMA service is much better than AT&T GSM service in the northeast where I am.

3. i600 has a larger display and is trivially faster in performance.

4. Both phones feel "first generation" in the sense that they have features that step on other features or are not fully integrated between the phone and the PDA. For example, called ID problem endemic to Smartphone OS.

5. Samsung phone is not of a size I'm used to - I'm always having to move the earpiece to hear it, as I've always has Motorola phones.

6. Cradle and phone to cradle connection is more sensitive in the i600 as opposed to the mpx200 where its a plug-in.

7. Lame built-in ring tones on the i600; better on the mpx200.

So, in the end, I prefer the mpx200 phone but the Verizon service is better, and that is what its really about.

+Quote Post
Skitals
post Dec 14 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #15

Are you sure the i600 has a larger screen? I thought they both had 2.2 in or something close? I actually thought ALL smartphones released thus far had the same size screen. Could be wrong though.

I actually havent used either phone, but have handled the dummies of both. Wish I could get my had on the real thing. I wonder how big of a difference the cpu speed is? I plan do do NES emulation and mp3/wma streaming so speed is important to me. This is scaling wayyy back compared to the SNES emulation and playing Quake I did on my ipaq 2210 smile.gif

+Quote Post
post Dec 22 2003, 05:09 AM
Post #16

Group:

Screens on both are same size. I had mpx200 and sent it back because service was so bad (LA area). Then got i600 and service is great, but am on my 3rd phone. Device lock activates after a minute or 2 even though you tell it 60 minutes and problems with key tones when speaker phone is on. Verizon says it's the phone. Samsung says it's the operating softoware and Verizon's vm. I hope to see more i600 people too.

+Quote Post
bbsilver
post Jan 19 2004, 04:51 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,268

There shouldn't be much of a difference. They use the same processor. Firmware is the only difference.

+Quote Post
post Feb 5 2004, 04:39 AM
Post #18

Group:

I'm just about to receive an i600 - tomorrow if FedEx is good to me.

Has anyone found an ssh client for the phone - PuTTY or other solution? Most of my network access is via ssh, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Has anyone compiled and added software to their phone? Any tips?

+Quote Post
sleepless
post May 10 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 382

I had the mpx200 for 6 months and switched to the i600 recently. I've been a long time Verizon customer because their service seems to work everywhere I go; only t-mobile has come close to matching their service. Utlitimately, the service coverage is the most important thing to me so I switched back from t-mobile to Verizon; hence the change from the mpx200 to the i600.

I originally went for the mpx200 because of the form factor and free unlimited internet access at t-mobile. But, the coverage has not been as good, the data speed is very slow compared to Verizon, and the MPX200 has some really annoying quirks which I'm glad to be rid of. Frankly, I've concluded that for me, the i600 + Verizon is the more usable solution even though it is more expensive.

Overall, I think the i600 is a better phone than the mpx200. Even the form factor is actually better because it is thinner than the mpx which makes it fit more comfortably in my rear pocket.

So, my advice is to always pick the carrier that does the job and then pick the phone.

+Quote Post
Tonyp126
post May 29 2004, 03:02 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 813

I have had my MPx200 since Christmas, and I just switched to Verizon and the I600. I have immediately noticed 2 things. The verizon coverage in the Orlando area is far superior to AT&T GSM, and the I600 seems to go through the menus faster and respond to other commands faster. One of the things I hated with the MPx200 was trying to switch calls while using call waiting. I'd have to hit the "accept" button 4 or 5 times until it finally switched calls.

On the downside for the I600, the included USB cradle needs to use the AC power cord to charge the phone while in the cradle, unlike the MPx200 which transfers data and power through the USB cable. That was very convenient for me. While I would travel, I'd sync up at night on y laptop and recharge at the same time. That also allowed me to charge my phone from my laptop if I needed to when there were no other power souces around, all from a $10 USB cable I bought at Staples.

I loved my MPx200, but I think overall the I600 will be my favorite due to Verizon's superior coverage. I do have to buy another AC power adapter, and if I need to sync while traveling I'll either have to pack my home cradle or buy another one. Oh well. A small price to pay to actually be able to use my phone as a phone! What a concept. By the way, I was with AT&T for 9 years.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:50 PM