Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Camera problem, not work after rom upgrade
Carlos
post Jun 29 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,722

Hi,

i was running rom 1.49 and upgrade to 1.53, after this camera does not work anymore.... the screen capture is all black and when i try to make a photo i receive the msg "capture failed".

i revert to rom 1.49 and problem persist......

i need help....

thks,

Carlos
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mkestu
post Jul 1 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #2

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,088
Phone: Cingular 3125
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Other

I've had both of those and neither one affected the camera.

Sounds like a hardware problem.

Does the video camera work?

--------------------
Mike S (mkestu)

HTC StarTrek aka 3125
1G microSD
ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Bluespoon AX2 & JawBoneII
Garmin GPS10x BT GPS

+Quote Post
Nidza
post Jul 2 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 8,504
Phone: MPx220

I used 1.49 and 1.53 the most. No camera problems. Anyway, it's camera is so incredible horrible, not a waste even if it is dead for good.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 3 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (Nidza @ Jul 1 2006, 05:07 PM) *
Anyway, it's camera is so incredible horrible, not a waste even if it is dead for good.
Everyone has their own opinion of course, but I think the camera is "acceptable" for snapshots. It won't do for your family's portrait for your Christmas cards! But, it's better than nothing if there is something you want a photo of right then and there and you've only got your phone on you. I would agree with Nidza completely if I had kept the first 220 I had. The camera on that thing was the worst. I couldn't imagine why anybody would even bother with the thing. But, that phone had other problems, so I returned it and got a different 220. There is a WORLD of difference between the two cameras. It's now clear to me the first one was a hardware issue and the thing wasn't designed to "work" the way it was "working".

If you want to read my full opinion, please look at my thread comparing the RAZR camera to my current 220 here:
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...c=11996&hl=

If you just want to see the comparison, then see below. Some may disagree, but I think the 220 photos (as well as the RAZR's) are perfectly usuable images.

Attached Image

Photo 1 & 3 are the RAZR and 2 & 4 are the 220. The images on top (1 & 2) are as the camera took them. The bottom ones (3 & 4) are after a little PhotoShop color correction and sharpening. Photo 4 is the most accurate as to how it looked in real life (yea MPx220!).

I'm also posting a photo that shows how bad the camera was on my first phone. I'm sure it doesn't need clarification, but I'm going to say it anyway. The one of the kids bunny rabbit is the one shot with my first 220. Ick. So, soo, soooooooooooo bad.

Attached Image

I know this isn't a thread about the "quality" of the MPx220 camera. But, you never know what somebody will do a search on and come up with this topic. I just wanted to put some info here that I thought would be useful after reading an opinion that says the camera is so terrible that it's a waste...that it's equally useful dead. This way readers can draw their own conclusion.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Nidza
post Jul 3 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #5

Gadget Junkie

Ok, not completely useless but very close to. smile.gif I use it to create and attach photos to contacs. Got lots of funny pictures of my friends who dissagree holding 'em that way, but I can't help it...

Some people just can't use to possibility that you can take pictures of them while flip closed. Since the horrible visibility of external LCD on the daylight, we just have so much candid camera situations. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Carlos
post Jul 3 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,722

QUOTE (mkestu @ Jul 1 2006, 02:15 PM) *
I've had both of those and neither one affected the camera.

Sounds like a hardware problem.

Does the video camera work?

video camera does not work too.... sometimes its works but only in 640X480 but after some minutos its stops again.. blink.gif blink.gif

now the photo screen is green.... but when i change it to 1024 the screen is black....

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 4 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I can't EVEN believe this! I last used the camera in my phone on June 11th without any problems. After reading this thread and posting about the "quality" of the camera, I decided to take a photo to test something and I am having the EXACT SAME problem you are having Carlos!!! ohmy.gif

Mine did not start with a ROM update since I haven't done one of those in a long time. I have NO IDEA when this started or, why? So, last night I did a hard reset and the problem did not go away. It's exactly as you describe it. mad.gif

I've been thinking back at what I've done between June 11th and last night that could have made this happen? The only things that stand out in my mind are:
1) upgraded to the newest version of AvantGo (seemed to go well)
2) tried the trial version of "Mini Lyrics Magic" music player which ran terrible on my phone - this made me think it was not playing well with some software I had on my phone since it runs beautifully on Nidza's 220.
3) tried to install Google Mobile Maps...which didn't fully install 'cuz they don't have all the button commands labled correctly (wrote to them, they said they know and are working on it - then why was I allowed to download it when it is known to have this problem????).
4) attended a concert where they killed all cell phone service and scrambled recorders (I tried to use my voice notes recorder to make memos of the set list, and when I played them back they were completely scrambled - nothing but static. I tried using the voice notes since I left the concert and it works perfectly.)

Do we have any of those things in common Carlos? After I did the hard reset the first thing I checked (before adding/changing anything on the phone) was the camera - and it's still dead. sad.gif Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 4 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Played with this problem more today and it's a hardware problem not a software conflict. Too bad for me! sad.gif

I noticed the camera would come on if the flip was closed...but, it looked weird. So, I played with the flip (trying different degrees of openess) to see if I could make the camera turn on. I ended up giving it a shake and heard a little rattle noise. After the shake, the camera works and looks as it should. After using it and then closing the flip, it reverts to the "green screen". Gave it another shake, the camera is back. It won't stay ready to be used with all the opening and closing from normal use, but I can get the camera anytime I want just by giving it a shake. I'm not doing that a lot though since there is obvious concern regarding what kind of damage THAT could do.

Carlos, give your phone a shake (like you do when you're shaking up a can of spray paint) and see if you can get the camera to "pop up"...albeit temporary.

I don't remember anything physically happening to my phone to have caused trauma/damage to blame this problem on. (No tree branches have hit it lately - for those who remember me saying a couple months ago that that happened rolleyes.gif ) I guess something must have though.

Carlos, do you know of anything happening to your phone that might have caused the problem (a drop perhaps)?

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 4 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Since my last post I've opened up the top part of the phone and now know that the rattle was caused by the flash not sitting in it's place correctly. Fixed that and got rid of the rattle. Tried everything else I could think of to get the camera working without permanent success. I can get it working and take great pictures. But, each time I snap the top housing back together, the camera quits working. I completely removed the camera, the flash, and disconnected the ribbon cable that makes the top LCD work. Then I put them all back in place thinking that reseating the cables might do the trick - but, sadly, no.

I could NOT force it to work at will, nor could I force it to quit working. It seemed random. Sometimes moving the camera around made it work and other times that did nothing. Sometimes it seemed like giving the LCD connector a squeeze made it work, then other times not. Sometimes moving the flash around would do, and other times not. All those examples are with the top flip taken apart. With it all put together it just doesn't work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nidza
post Jul 5 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #10

Gadget Junkie

I will send you my camera, it so incredible sux. biggrin.gif Probably you've hit it, if you're wearing the phone with the camera side away on the belt clip. I'm holding the phone in my belt magnet bag with the battery side away (anyway it is easier to pick it up from the bag that way).

Don't mourn it, it sux. Use digital camera for photographing.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 6 2006, 06:24 AM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Nidza, you and I clearly use our phone/cameras for different purposes.

I'll be glad to take your camera off your hands since you're not using it. laugh.gif

I understand the kind of things you want to take pictures of and can see why the camera isn't good for you. Action photography is not it's forte. As for using a digital camera in place of the phone...yes, and no. Of course I use a good digital camera when I KNOW I need a camera. And, I've carried a Casio Exilm around with me for years just to take snapshots that I'd miss otherwise 'cuz I didn't have my 'good' camera with me. That's what I was hoping for and got with the camera built into the 220. The ability to take a little snapshot when I wasn't packin' anything better than a phone (that I ALWAYS have with me). The quality from my 220 works 90% of the time. That's why I don't think it's a waste of time. Of course, now it's dead...and I am sad. That is until your camera gets here Nidza! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 15 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #12

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I got brave today (for me!) and opened up my phone again. But, this time, I opened it up all the way! Last time I wrote about this I had just opened the top/flip part and was unable to get the camera working. After spending the last week looking at replacement phones (and reading the reality that is Qtek 8500/Star Trek...not just the no answer problem, but other disappointments as well) I decided I still like my 220 and would give it another shot. So, I took the whole darn thing apart and put it all back together. I had no parts left over, so I was quite pleased with myself. laugh.gif

I believe the "green screen" problem was caused by the ribbon cable thingy that connects the top to the bottom not having a good connection. Before, I'd only undone and reseated the top part. Today, after undoing the bottom connection too and reseating it, I believe it's fixed...at least temporarily! It's tricky (in my opinion...or, at my skill level) to get the phone back together! But, I'm glad I did it.

I am going to try and get a replacement part 'cuz I can tell it's not 100%. I thought it was fixed, but just now when I started the camera app the image on screen stayed black a tad too long (compared to when I originally got the phone). And then the image "rolled" around. That's not right! It stopped doing that pretty quick and I could see what looked like clipping on the top and bottom of the image. So, I closed the phone and reopened it, and it cleared up. But, clearly, it's not supposed to do all the extra stuff!

Hmm, I've just sat here and turned it on and off a dozen times and it worked great 10 out of 12 times. Well, anyway, just thought I'd follow up. Hopefully I can get that ribbon cable replaced AND hopefully it's the cause...since I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Glad to have the camera back - most of the time!

--------------------

+Quote Post
RODRIGO2KX
post Oct 20 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,591
Phone: MPx
Carrier: Other

HELLO MY FRIEND

I ve been reading your posts in this forums, related to the camera problems.
I must say, that i'm having exactly the same problems that all of you are suffering.

Please, let me know if you found a solution for this problem as your last post is from last july and we are close to november.

Maybe you found a solution
please, let me know

i'm a laptops/notebooks tech and i could open the phone (i believe) with no problems
but is that the final solution?

please let me know asap
i really want to solve this problem.

Thank you!

Rodrigo

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 20 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #14

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Sorry I forgot to follow up on this...

Only bad news to pass along though. Nothing I did fixed it. I opened the phone and made sure the original ribbon cable was not loose on either end. It looked good except for a bit of peeling of some clear "plastic" on the cable. So, I bought a new cable and installed it and it fixed nothing. It's still not working as it should, and I have no idea why. After I get in and mess around with it, it'll work for awhile and then it stops working. This makes me suspect the problem is related to the flip which makes me think the ribbon cable is somehow the problem. But, I can't figure it out.

Sorry I can't help you. Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:22 PM