Post #1

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

PC MAG Reviews Cingular 2125

PC MAG points out a few differences between the Cingular 2125 and the T-Mobile USA SDA, two very similar Windows Mobile 5.0 phones that have just hit the US market. I've tried to pick out a few tidbits.

The petite (4.3 by 1.8 by 0.7 inches, 3.7 oz) 2125 is easy to hold, and looks professional in its gray and silver case. It's flatter and squarer than the SDA, with fewer confusing buttons, as the dedicated music-player buttons are gone from the front, and the row of four soft keys below the screen has been reduced to two.

The 2125 got much more talk time than the SDA, a fabulous 14 hours. We suspect that's because of differences in the T-Mobile and Cingular firmware. PDA-mode battery life, at 8 hours 41 minutes of use, was also excellent.

The 2125 comes with the ClearVue suite for viewing Microsoft Office and PDF documents, a file manager, and a task manager. We were disappointed that no IM program was built in.

Cingular provides three different e-mail options. Microsoft's built-in system syncs with POP3 and IMAP accounts, and over the air with Exchange servers that have that option turned on. Cingular's Xpress Mail is a push solution, which delivers POP3/IMAP e-mail and reroutes corporate e-mail through a desktop client. Companies that run GoodLink servers can take advantage of the link to GoodLink client software that is preloaded onto the phone.

You can use the 2125 as a laptop modem on Cingular's EDGE network, and we got excellent EDGE speeds of 159 to 185 Kbps with a USB connection in our tests.

Videos record at 176-by-144 and 10 frames per second.

To read the full PC MAG reviews of the Cingular 2125, click here.

To read reviews of T-Mobile USA's SDA phone, click here.

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Feb 21 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Mobility Site Reviews the Cingular 2125

In summary:

Developer/Vender: Cingular/HTC (Faraday)
Price: $299.99 ($199.99 with current $100.00 rebate)
Rating (out of 100): 81

91-100: Excellent; this product is highly recommended
80-90: Good; this product is recommended
70-79: Average; entry level product or some design/functionality issues
60-69: Below Average; serious design/functionality issues, recommend upgrading
00-59: Junk; major design/functionality issues, recommend using it as a paper weight

Cingular 2125 WM5 Smartphone Rating Breakdown
16/20 Ease of Installation/setup
16/20 Ease of Use
18/20 Does it do what it advertises
15/20 Cost/Value assessment
16/20 Quality/Construction

Click here to read the full Mobility Site review of the Cingular 2125.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Feb 22 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

2/13/06 - CNET...

The good: The Cingular 2125 packs a lot of features into its compact form factor, including a 1.3-megapixel camera, a speakerphone, Bluetooth and EDGE support, and Windows Mobile 5. The smart phone also offers outstanding battery life.

The bad: The Cingular 2125 suffers from mediocre call quality and doesn't have integrated Wi-Fi. The smart phone also has a quirky power button, and the Mini SD card expansion slot is located behind the battery.

The bottom line: Although it lacks Wi-Fi and has only average call quality, the Cingular 2125 is a powerful smart phone that will help mobile professionals be more productive on the road.

1/18/2006 - RussellBeattie.com

Today’s “official” launch of the Cingular 2125 Windows Mobile smart phone reminded me that I hadn’t posted my thoughts about this device. I got a chance to play with it about a month ago in the Cingular store and was pretty impressed. I hadn’t heard about this phone before I found it in the back corner of the store and I was completely surprised. The specs are great, the screen is gorgeous, it was one of the only two megapixel phones for sale at the time. I was pretty close to buying it, but decided to hold off for now because I’m pretty happy with my current phones. But let me say though that if I was just some guy looking for a decent phone, this would be way up there in terms of options.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Feb 27 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

MSMobiles.com has a characteristically opinionated review of the Cingular 2125

here. Here's an excerpt from the full review...

"The verdict - The Cingular 2125 is a great device, but it has some rough edges right now. The ordering process with Cingular is currently flawed, but this should be worked out when the stores know about the device and have them in stock. The operating system, while stable does exhibit some problems, for instance when playing around with the standard applications, the icons can get messed up, it happened more than once. This led to the Pictures and Videos application showing the wrong icon for folders. This wouldn't be a problem since a simple reboot will solve the problem, however using the power button on the device is nearly impossible. Its a shame there is no way to change the background image for the Start Menu. The phone however is fast, and the screen is wonderful. The sound is very loud without a headset, and sounds great with a headset. The device constantly failed to recognize the Mini SD card, all of these problems can be easily solved with a ROM update from Cingular, with exception to the Ordering process, and the horrible power button. The device does lack WiFi, but EDGE performance makes up for this shortcoming. We highly recommend the Cingular 2125, its a great phone, and will be a much better phone when the sharp edges are worked out.

Pros:

MIDP 2.0 (Java Enabled)
QVGA 240x320 64K color display
EDGE
Joystick
Two Tier Prompt Security
Great battery life
Good phone reception and sound quality
Macromedia Flash support

Average:

1.3 Mega pixel Camera

Cons:

No built in WiFi
Power button is nearly impossible to press
Unable to change the Start Menu background.
Completely inadequate additional applications
Problems recognizing Mini SD Cards
"

It's interesting to read various reviews. Each person seems to pick up on something different. This reviewer had a problem using the power on/off button. Another reviewer (I wish I could remember which) complained that applications took longer to get started in WM 5.0 that in 2003 SE.

I hope some of these teething pains, where possible, will be addressed quickly in a ROM update.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Mar 9 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Mobility Today Review of Cingular 2125
Mobility Today go deep with the Cingular 2125 in a review that left them very impressed. And why not? Afterall, this is an impressive device. If you own an Audiovox SMT 5600, this device is in many ways its successor, running WM 5.0, a better screen and much faster data transfer speeds.

Conclusion
There are a lot of features with this device, some I am still discovering as I continue to use it. I like the Home Screen and the Start Menu. It has a familiar look and feel and gives me at a glance what I am looking for. I am continually impressed with the connection and the quality of the calls. When making calls, I like using a BT headset but if by chance I don’t have it on, the speaker phone is my choice and it is terrific! There is a Voice Tag feature which works well. Active Sync has been flawless as has been my daily access to the internet. I have been pleased with email and am happy that I can use my Bluetooth keyboards to enter text if my replies are long.

Source: Mobility Today
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:25 PM