IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VERY weird SD card problem (in WM2003 and WM5), PLUS some WM5 on MPx200 thoughts/review
scar45
post Jan 12 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,512
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Other

I am having a funny problem with my SD card slot on my MPx200...After booting up fresh, the phone works fine and reads from the SD card no probs. However, if I take the SD card out after Windows has loaded, then put it back in 10 secs later or so, the phone will never reinitialize the card, and it acts like it's not even in the phone until I reboot it. VERY odd indeed...

The card I was using was a Kingston 512mb (normal speed) SD card, however a buddy just lent me his 1gb Sandisk (normal speed) SD card, and it is happening with this card too.

Anyways, has anyone heard of this issue before? I *JUST* installed WM5 and since it's more dependant on the SD card, I am not sure how it's gonna go in the future or if I should put WM2003 back on...

ALSO, i forgot to mention that sometimes, WITHOUT me personally taking the SD card out and back in, the phone will 'lose' its connection to it and I'll notice this when someone calls and the default ring haunts me.

In other news, I have installed WM5 on my MPx200 and the first impressions I have are pretty much 50/50...As I said above, I have the 1gb Sandisk normal speed SD card in the phone, and I would say that the phone seems to react slower than WM2003...its not unbearable, but it isn't as fast as WM2003...I have also noticed that it would appear that WM5 kills apps from mem when you close/exit out of them. I found out after installing xBar 2.6, because when you bring xBar up, nothing is ever in it's current task list. Now this MAY be a problem with xBar on WM5 itself, but as far as I can tell, memory management is a little better in WM5 (plus there is a mem optimization tweak that I haven't yet applied, it is as follows):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem
Write 256 instead 80
ResetDivision change from 0 to 1

So maybe it will be better after. Currently my phone (fresh install of WM5 with only xBar installed and running) is using 71% RAM...still kind of early to see if it goes up AND down, or if it just keeps going UP and UP like WM2002/3...

Signal strength and call/voice quality seems to be great, no better than WM2003, but that's a good thing...a better test will be when I get home and back to my basement to see if it's better or worse than 2003...

ActiveSync 4.1 installed fine on my p00ter, and then the first time I sync'd the phone, everything went SMOOOOTH, (altho I had to wait a wee bit longer the first time) and this is great since I was ready to do the ActiveSync troubleshooting because it now uses TCP/IP...OH one complaint about ActiveSync 4+ tho, is that you can't click SETTINGS for Contacts (or Tasks for that matter) and have it sync only certain contacts from categories (which is what I did before)...now I HAVE to sync all of my contacts (I usually leave my business contacts off so I dont call them one night by accident when I'm drunk or something). Anyways, no biggie, I can just move my contacts elsewhere or delete 'em from my PC so they don't sync....Good thing is I exported my current Contacts/Tasks to a separate .PST file so that AS4.1 + WM5 wouldn't permanently mess with my Outlook (that CANNOT happen ever)...backups are good, yes biggrin.gif

I guess this is sorta a mini-review, but I have to use the phone for a couple more days and see how it behaves...problem is, I don't wanna spend tons of time customizing the ^*&& outta it, only to end up goin back to WM2003 a week later or so...ah well...

In the meantime, I'm gonna setup my old Homescreen that I made (and seems to be pretty popular on MoDaCo) which you can check out here:

Blueness feat. Anetta Keys v1.6 by Scar45 (Help me get from spot #5 to spot #1 without cheating like the others!!) /endShamelessPlug

Final words, respects to those who hacked the WM5 rom onto our beloved MPx200's that we just can't let die...I still think it's one of the sexiest phones out there, I always get compliments, PLUS they don't even sell the phone up here in Canada...our main Telco company only offers ONE Smartphone (the SMT 5600)...what a shame... blink.gif

If anyone DOES know why my sexy MPx200 has that SD card problem described (alllll the way) above, or better yet knows how to fix it, that'd make me happier than WM5 even!!

Thanks guys!

-scar

--------------------
Check my personal Blog site out @ www.GeorgeM.name!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KingDaddy
post Jan 13 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #2

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 188
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

It's not a problem with the SD card, it's a feature. Pulling the SD card while the phone is on is just like unplugging the hard drive while your PC is on. That's just how it is. Most, if not all, of the OS is on the SD card.

--------------------
Lambrettas: 1974 Jet 200

Vespas: 1987 PK50XLS Plurimatic, 2001 ET4 150

Clearance: Interim Top Secret

+Quote Post
scar45
post Jan 13 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,512
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Other

Hello KingDaddy,

Thanks for your reply, however I don't believe that it's the cause of the issue. You see, even with WM2003, the same thing happens, which doesnt RELY on the SD card...also, my girlfriends MPx200 which has a Sandisk Mini-SD --> SD Adapter w/512mb IS able to to remove the SD, use the phone, then put it back in, and the phone recognizes the card again. At least in WM2003, it is NOT like a hard drive, since it is "REMOVABLE" media, you are able to take it in and out without powering the device off.

This problem has stumped nearly everyone I'm sure, and I;ll probably end up attributing it to a faulty MPx200 itself....just my damn luck....

-scar

--------------------
Check my personal Blog site out @ www.GeorgeM.name!!

+Quote Post
KingDaddy
post Jan 14 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 188
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

If it's happening with WM2003, it's probably a hardware problem.

--------------------
Lambrettas: 1974 Jet 200

Vespas: 1987 PK50XLS Plurimatic, 2001 ET4 150

Clearance: Interim Top Secret

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:14 AM