post Nov 3 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

Back in January I had the opportunity to review the first version of the Tube application. For reference you can read that review here. There were several things I liked about the application, and some I didn't. Visual IT Mobile Solutions, Tube's developer, has released an update to Tube and I am happy to say that they specifically addressed the issues I identified with that version, making Tube 2 a very solid product. How solid? Let's take a look.

Here is what Visual IT Mobile Solutions says about Tube 2:
Tube 2 is the new enhanced interface to our award winning and highly acclaimed application that guides you around the subway & metro systems of the major cities in the world. An essential addition to any Windows Powered Smartphone.

Transform your Microsoft Windows Powered Smartphone into a fully scrollable detailed map of the transport system of the city and see your journeys come alive with a superb animated display of the route tracking around the system map.
Save hours by automatically having the quickest routes to hand, with all the details you need including line changes, platform directions and accurate journey times.

No more confusion on your trips, route details include, direction of travel, end of line, towards information, and number of stops in each segment. Select advanced journey options such as quickest journey, fewest stops, avoid lines and quickly display return journey details.

Pro versions are available for many cities with integrated high quality street maps of the city.
These cities are currently supported:
  • Atlanta
  • Baltimore
  • Berlin
  • Dublin
  • Dublin Pro
  • Hong Kong
  • London
  • London Pro
  • London Streets
  • London Congestion Charge Map
  • GB Road Atlas
  • Los Angeles
  • Madrid
  • Madrid Pro
  • New York City
  • New York City Pro
  • Paris
  • Paris Pro
  • Washington
  • Washington Pro
As in my first review, I will be taking a look at the Washington DC Pro version of Tube 2. Notice this is NOT version 2 of Tube, but a completely new application Tube 2.

When you start up Tube 2 you are given a list of available maps. Initially I chose the Washington DC Metro map but I will cover the other available maps later.

Notice the little hand image in the center? That is new in this version and it is a pointer to let you get specific information about map locations. For example this is what happens when you move the cursor to a metro station and press your action button:

Notice the text balloon that opens up to give you specific information about, in this case, the metro station you click on. It tells you the name, location, and lines that this metro station sits on. It also includes very useful time information like station opening and closing times, first and last train times, parking information, and even connecting bus route information. How much more information can you possibly need?

Before we leave this screen lets look at the CONS I listed in my review of the first Tube application:

Cons:
The street level map doesn't cover the same area as the subway system map
No connection between subway and street level maps

Tube 2 addresses the second point I made quite nicely. Notice the soft menu option on the left, called LINK? Guess what that does:

It connects the below ground metro map with the above ground map provided in the Pro version of Tube 2. No longer do you have to switch maps and then search around to figure out where the metro station will put you on the street. Very cool.

The street level maps in the Washington DC version are broken up to allow for better memory usage on the phone. But unlike the the first release of Tube, Tube 2 street level maps cover most of the metro system area. Although not a 100% coverage it is certainly much better than the first release. I believe the limiting factor here is simple math though. The Washington metro system is huge compared to many other systems, and the points of interest information required to give you a decent list are much more numerous here than most anywhere else. In the Washington DC Mall alone there are more than 30 points of interest in a 4 square mile area. Additionally many of the outlying metro stations are only to residential areas. In fact most every side of every line ends up in townhome villages. So the fact that the street level maps do not cover residential streets, especially in the Washington DC case is certainly understandable.

One of the best features of Tube is the plan a trip feature. These images walk you through that process of selecting a start and finish station and show you what options you can choose for your trip.

Once you have your trip planned, you can get an animation of that trip. This animation is from the developer's website and does not reflect the Washington DC metro system but you get the idea. Notice how the box color changes with the line it is on? Cool!

Now lets look at the FIND feature. Say you just got off the Smithsonian metro stop and want to know how to get to the Department of State. No problem. Just pick the type of find you want, then pick from the many items provided.

So it gives you an address and nearest station information. Is there anything more? Absolutely. That point of interest is tied directly into the street level map!

So the application has another map type that you can view, but not really interact with. It is provided for a reference to help you see where you are in the "big picture". This is called the Street Index map.

You can also load just a street level map without using the metro map.

Each map has information about it which you can view:

And the program has a few configuration options:

This is a very solid, usable product that I am sure I will continue to use. But keep in mind this is not a GPS application, so turn by turn directions and GPS based navigation is not part of the package. That's about it. A completely reworked Tube 2 satisfies all of the issues I was able to find with what was already a really good product. I can not imagine anything else that would make this product more useful. It all ties together well to give you complete screen to screen coordination to make sure you don't get lost in the switch. So I give Tube 2 a 5 out of 5 rating based on its upgrade to the previous version. which was already a really good application, and answering what were the shortcomings identified in that first version. I look forward to the enhancements they are working on for the next version.

Get the demo or buy Tube 2 from Visual IT Mobile Solutions

UPDATE: Visual IT Mobile Solutions is working on updates for many of the cities they cover to create "Touristic" versions of their subway system maps. These new touristic versions have the subway and above ground maps tied together in the same map giving you pinpoint accuracy in the relationship between submay and street maps. This provides a better idea of where the rail system fits "in the real world" enabling you to more easily find landmarks in relation to the available subway routes and stops.

Also in the Pocket PC version is the ability to add your own stops or Points of Interest so that you can more easily find them later.

When Tube 2 was first reviewed we gave it 5 stars because it was then a really well put together package that covered what a person in a strange city would need to get around and thrive on a transit rail system. But Visual IT Mobile Solutions has not let up with their development and improvements to the Tube application and this is just another example of how they drive their products to perfection.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Feb 20 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

This looks awesome! And it looks like they do more cities now too.

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:49 PM