IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> wm5 "File Explorer" vs wm5 "File Manager", can't "associate" files on "File Explorer"
runningtiger
post Feb 27 2007, 08:27 AM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

long story short...is there a way to associate files on the 3125 -OR- is there an easy way to edit text files on the 3125?

long story long...My wm5 device (an i-mate SP5m) came with a ROM program called "File Manager" whereas our wm5 device (a Cingular 3125) came with a ROM program called "File Explorer".

The two are more different than just the simple name difference implies.

On the i-mate I can associate files with the program I want to use to open them, and on the 3125 I can't.

I found this out 'cuz I've been installing Tillanosoft's PocketNotepad since my MPx200 (I think, or was it the 220?) and I did the same on these two newer phones. I use the simple text editor to keep lists and edit them on the fly. Not a problem on the i-mate.

However, I went to open a text file that was copied onto the 3125 and it opens using pIE...and can't be edited. So, I went to associate text files with the Tillanosoft program and couldn't do it. The option is not there in File "Explorer". I installed TotalCommanderSP thinking it could probably associate files. Turns out it could not...but, surprise it allows you to edit text files!!

That would be fine if this were my phone, but it's not. The one who does carry the 3125 (and now needs to edit text files on the fly) isn't adept at using computers etc. Opening TotalCommander, scrolling to the proper folder and finding the text file to be opened, finding "edit" on the menu doesn't come as easy for them as it does for me. It's a tad much...know what I mean?

Anyone know how to associate files and/or edit text files on the 3125?

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Feb 28 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

I use Binary's SmartExplorer. It is a pretty powerful powerful file explorer that will allow you to rename file extensions as well as change what a program opens with.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 1 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Thanks Gryphon! That did the trick!! If anyone is interested, it's available here: http://www.binarys.com/

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Mar 2 2007, 06:09 AM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

hehe, sorry I forgot to post the link. Life is a haze at times...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:19 PM