Quickywd01
post Dec 8 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,865
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

Hey, Is the headphone jack on the smt5600 a 2.5mm? I'm trying to get an adapter so that I can play music in my car using the tape adapter but the tape adapter uses the standered jack size.

--------------------
THink THe TWitch is solved. :)

my stuff: Audiovox 5600, GlobalSat BT-338 SIRF star 3, 1 gb minisd sandisk.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 8 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Yes, it is 2.5mm. But it has a different pin than most 2.5mm headsets, and the standard 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor you find at Radio Shack won't work. I got mine on ebay specifically designed for the SMT5600. You could also search for a MPx200/MPx220/Treo 600 adaptor, they are all the same.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Quickywd01
post Dec 8 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply smeg. http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDSPRING-TREO-600-ST...1QQcmdZViewItem Like that one. It looks standard, wats special about it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 9 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I don't know if that one will work or not, but I meant this kind. That is the kind I have, and it works.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quickywd01
post Dec 9 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

If you look at each pic from each page that shows the connector closely you can see that they look to be exactly the same except for the gold coating. I'll look around a bit more just to see what’s out there but I’m 99.9% sure I’ll be getting it off eBay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
schexad
post Dec 22 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,786
Carrier: Alltel
MP3 Player: Cowon iAudio

Hey I am looking for the same converter,if you have found it can you please let me know, thanks. So far ebay and radio shack appear to be the only places that carry it.If i find one I will let you know.

+Quote Post
schexad
post Dec 22 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,786
MP3 Player: Cowon iAudio

Check out this website , I don't know if it works but if i can't find it at Radio Shack, I will buy this.
http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~Aud...io+Adapters.htm

+Quote Post
Quickywd01
post Dec 26 2005, 05:56 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (schexad @ Dec 22 2005, 06:20 AM)
Check out this website , I don't know if it works but if i can't find it at Radio Shack, I will buy this.
http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~Aud...io+Adapters.htm

I'm trying to find the exact one but heres one for now. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=family

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronaldgr
post May 5 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,682
Carrier: T-Mobile

Smeg, I have a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter that I bought from eBay for my MPX200. It works great on the MPX200. However, when I tried to use it for my SMT5600, I can only hear mono over my car stereo and headphones. Do you think that it's due to my phone? Are there any other adapter's out there?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 5 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

I'm not sure on that one. I've been using the one I bought on ebay for my MPx200 for years now, and it's worked great with most phones, including multiple SMT5600s. Maybe yours is slightly different from mine or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronaldgr
post May 5 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #11

Smeg, I did some more research from this forum. The one I bought has three conductors on the jack. There was one post for a headphone adapter for SMT5600 selliing from PPC Techs has four conductors. How many conductors are on the phone jack you bought from eBay? The one showing from your link above has three only.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 5 2006, 02:58 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Mine only has 3 as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronaldgr
post May 8 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #13

OK. After looking at some actual ones, here's what I've discovered. The one I bought from eBay for my Motorola actually has four conductors*, which only played mono on my Audiovox SMT5600. I borrowed a friend's Sony Ericsson earphone with mic that has four conductors, and that worked on my SMT5600. Thus, I think that an earphone adaptor with four conductors will not work on the SMT5600, but an an actual earphone with mic with four conductors do work.

I went to Radio Shack yesterday and saw an adaptor that has only three condutors and stereo worked. I'm getting the one Smeg recommended from eBay since that has three conductors too only to work as an earphone adaptor. If I need a stereo headphone with mic, I would have to get an actual headphone with mic with the four conductor plug, and not use an adaptor for it.

*Condutors mean the metal contact points on the plug, separated by the black plastic insulators. Four conductors are divided by three black insulators, three are divided by two, etc.

+Quote Post
scott
post May 20 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,174

I knew I should have checked out this forum before ordering.....

I got a set of Sennheiser MM 50 (http://www.tmcnet.com/channels/headsets/articles/196-sennheiser-multi-purposes-mobile-headset.htm) ear bud earphones for my SMT 5600 and LOVE them. However, as pointed out here, the 2.5 mm mini plug is not standard (whatever that is wink.gif ) and only the right channel works. The earphones work in a friends Motorola phone (and they also do not work in my wifes SMT 5600). So obviously it is the plug. I have the original set of earphones that came with it (and are just about worthless in my opinion compared to the MM 50's) and I would gladly snip the plug off the end and use it for the MM 50's.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? The MM 50 is stereo with an in-line microphone and has a four conductor plug like the earphones that came with the phone.

Thanks!

Scott.

+Quote Post
ronaldgr
post Jul 14 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #15

Hi Scott,

I'm not sure if switching the plugs between the MM 50 and the standard earphones will work. I think what's screwing it up is the plug and the mic channel. As I mentioned above, the Sony Ericcson earphones and mic worked on my SMT5600. Now, your MM 50 with earphones and mic do not work. Thus, the plugs my look the same, but their channels are different. Maybe the mic and the left earphone are reversed or something on the MM 50. Now, since you have the 2.5 plug already, the adaptor mentioned by Smeg above may not work.

Your last resort is to just return it, or experiment with the cheap standard earphones to find the right channel and which conductor is for the mic and for the earphones. Good luck.

Ron

+Quote Post
jmjh88
post Jan 19 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 14,549

i gave this item a try http://www.tangshop.com/audiovox-smt-5600-...daptor-mic.html but it turned out it doesn't work in stereo like they advertised. plus their customer service is an answering machine during the hours they're supposed to be open. not good practice on their part. sad.gif thinking about trying the one on ppctechs.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:47 PM