Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GPS Navigation for 220
mbhelfman
post Oct 22 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #1

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 470

I am thinking of buying a GPS Bluetooth receiver for the 220. What is the best software, it looks like Mapopolis and for 99 bucks, seems like a good deal. Will any bluetooth GPS receiver work with the 220?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yossarian
post Oct 22 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,348

The Belkin GPS reciever connects to my the MPx220 just fine. I don't have any smartphone GPS software, so can't test it yet.

I'd love to hear any experience anyone has with any of the smartphone GPS routing products. I have the Routis derived Pocket PC routing software that comes with teh Belkin and it was great, but no version for smartphone. Copilot Live for Smartphone seems to have a product (although expensive!). Be careful of the Microsoft Streets 2005 software, though. I don't think it actually provides routing, just a map of where you are.

Anyone tried any of these? I can't even find any good reviews on the internet.

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Oct 23 2004, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

As long as I know you can connect a GPS receiver because I know you need a serial profile. Since you connected it, I know it can be done now. I know the 220 supports serial profiles, otherwise ActiveSync wouldn't work. It just doesn't show it as a service under Bluetooth services. I know the Motorola MPX220 doesn't give you the option to change the COM port your BT serial connection uses like some of the other smartphones, I guess it's trial and error and you have to guess the COM port in your application until it works. Mapopolis looks cool, and it's only 99 bucks for all maps. MS Pocket Streets 2005 doest not support routing and GPS, which explains why it's 25 bucks! Microsoft makes Street and Trips with GPS support, but it's 129 bucks. So forget that. There is also TomTom and CoPolot, but I think I am going to use Mapopolis since that seems to be the best one. I downloaded it, and it seems easy to use.

+Quote Post
Toad
post Oct 23 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #4

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 1,161

Mapopolis is the best www.mapopolis.com

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Oct 23 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Mapopolis Review

In the review I mention the lack of GPS support, but that is on the phone not the software. I use mapopolis on all of my gadgets, it has been a life saver and has yet to let me down on the GPS navigation.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
hmss007
post Oct 24 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,243
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: Other

For those of you using Mapopolis, how do you deal with the crossing between counties?

I live in Seattle and I have to cross between two or three counties on a regular basis. Since I have lots of storage space, can you create a single map file that includes all the areas you want (i.e. all of the State of Washington, northern Oregon and southern British Columbia)?

If Mapopolis can't support this, what about Tom Tom MOBILE or CoPilot Live, do either of them allow this?

I used to have a Garmin GPS product and their desktop map program would let you create custom maps, which was great.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Yossarian
post Oct 24 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #7

So I'm trying to use the demo of mapopolis and can't get it to connect to my Belkin bluetooth adapter. Has anyone successfully done this? I can pair the two no problem, but in Mapopolis, it doesn't seem to be able to find it. Mapopolis wants to know what com port to look on (0-9) or autodetects. The autodetect just hangs on Com 1 and I've tried each of teh coms with out sucess.

Anyone know what com port the Belkin might be on or how I might find out?

Thanks

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Oct 24 2004, 05:34 AM
Post #8

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I think this is the problem with the 220, (I assume your using this phone??) because there is no easy way to find out. I had to guess to get activesync working. Why don't you do a trial and error, try com2, com3, com4, etc until you get it working....

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Oct 24 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #9

Site Administrator
Group Icon

It is COM7 on my iPAQ, and I would be willing to bet that is the same COM for most if not all devices. If that isn't it, I would think that it would be something between 6 and 9.

hmss007,
I am not sure that I fully understand what you are asking, I have about half the country on my phone with no problems. I think there is a limit but I have the Eastern U.S. Major Roads loaded, parts of Michigan in detail, most of Kentucy, Virginia, all of D.C. and Birmingham, Al and surrounding counties all loaded with no issues. Go to Choose Map, pick Selection, then make multiple select has been selected. Once this is done you should be able to put your whole section of the state and then some all on your SD card...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Yossarian
post Oct 25 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #10

I get the message "GPS Port (COM7:) is not available" when I try to start bluetooth GPS in the Mapopolis software. I went through each of the other ports and either got the same message or it just hung trying to connect. Has anyone been able to get this to work? Or does anyone know where/how to configure the incoming and outgoing ports used by Bluetooth on the MPx220?

+Quote Post
deu
post Oct 25 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,179

Have you tried to use ActiveSync via Bluetooth and assigned your outbound COM port to COM7 (in BT Serial Port Setup)?

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 9 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #12

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I just got the Rikaline GPS Bluetooth Receiver and am having the same problems, Mapopolis can't find it. If I try auto-detect, it hangs on COM1. If I do trial and error, it hangs on each port, some of the ports like7 are not available. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 9 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #13

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Are there any settings or properity options in the phones BT? What I mean is, the other day I found properities (?) on my phone that listed the inbound and outbound COM ports for bluetooth. I am not at all familiar with the 220, but I do have a WM device with BT so just dropping this to see if there is something that may have been overlooked.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 9 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #14

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

No, the MPX220 does not have any interface for it's serial/COM ports, nice, huh?

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 9 2004, 03:01 PM
Post #15

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Well my phone doesn't really have an "interface", it is nothing that I can change it only lists the two ports.

For example, I goto Bluetooth Settings, services, serial port, and hit advanced it lists Inbound COM Port:4 and Outbound COM Port:7.

Again I don't know if you have anything like that on the phone, but I would think that there should be. You could also see if there is anything in the registry about it as well.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
Mikebetz42
post Nov 9 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 5,636

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 will also work. It now has a Smartphone App as well as a PPC App. I have installed it and it works well, although I only have an Mpx200... So I am unsure of the GPS functionality on the Mpx220 but it also supports GPS functions.

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 9 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #17

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

What software works on the smartphone? I see Microsoft has Pocket Streets for 25 bucks (and comes with Street and Trips), but Pocket Streets does not offer GPS Navigation driving directions.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 9 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #18

Site Administrator
Group Icon

According to this Thread over at Smartphone Thoughts, Mapopolis and CoPilot Live will not work with the MPx220. Kris Kumar mentions that he has Socket BT GPS and Pocket Streets 2005 and that is a working combinaton.

I must say though that if you MPx220 owners want to use mapopolis then contact their tech support. In the past when I delt with them they were always very prompt in offering solutions. Who knows, they may not even be aware of the problem, and this could prompt an update. Mapopolis

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 10 2004, 02:32 AM
Post #19

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I thought Pocket Streets 2005 doesn't support GPS? I thought only Streets and Trips does. Microsoft's web site is of course confusing as always. Anyhows, I have contacted Mapopolis about this issue. I think your right b/c my laptop and phone both recognize the GPS receiver fine, just not the software.

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 10 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #20

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I sort of answered my own question. According to Microsoft, with Pocket Streets 2005, you can:

Use a Bluetooth-enabled GPS receiver with your Windows Mobile 2002 software for Smartphones to show your current location on a map.

But Pocket Streets will not provide you with driving and routing directions, GPS or not. You need Streets and Trips for this, but on their site, it looks like Street and Trips is only available on a Windows pc, not a mobile device. So if Mapopolis and Co-pilot do not work with the 220, we are in deed without a GPS solution for our cars : (

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:57 PM