IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What mobile device is tempting you nowadays?, And why?
The Undude
post Nov 11 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

So, it's that time of year when lot's of new mobile devices come on the market. So many to pick from! What's been tempting you recently?

For myself, as I'm on Cingular, I'm thinking the Blackjack would keep me snuggly warm through the long winter months... of course I may have to wait all through those long winter months before it appears. sad.gif I'm not a fan of the slideout keyboard. I've never a device with one, so I can't speak from direct experience, but I like the simplicity of the keyboard being right there all the time. Also, to me less moving parts means less chance of something breaking.

Alternatively, Dashing to T-Mobile seems like an idea. The reason I've not made the switch to T-Mo is I have relatives in Europe, and T-Mobile has very expensive international long distance call charges.

And you? What's been tempting you?

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 12 2006, 01:31 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Currently I am using a Samsung i730 and a Cingular 3125. What I am really looking forward to is a clamshell PocketPC like the Samsung SGH-i770. The Smartphones are nice for quick and easy but they do lack some of the PocketPC functions and programs I use on a regular basis. For me, I am waiting for the SGH-i770 or something like it. However, I would love to try a Dash out in the near term.

Attached Image

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 12 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

It's still the Q for me. I'm just waiting on Sprint getting it. I really like the looks of a clamshell PPC though.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 12 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

I'm waiting for a good flip smartphone with 3G personally, but the blackjack has my attention, but it isn't something that I am really "holding" out for. I am happy with my 3125 honestly, and don't see myself moving on until something like it comes along with 3G.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
dwhitelaw
post Nov 12 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #5

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,487
Phone: Motorola Q
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

My "Q" is on the way as I have been thrown off of Nextel and switched to Verizon by my Company.

Trying to get a Pink 3125 for my wife for Christmas, but we're on TMobile. Cingular will sell one to me for $500 then I need to unlock it. Trying to find a better deal but specs online for IMate and Dopod I've found, don't match the 3125.

--------------------
Working for the Weekends

Motorola Q on Verizon
Mpx200 on T-Mo
Sony SZ280P
Mio GPS
Just trying to carry less stuff!

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 13 2006, 03:01 AM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

3125 is definitely the superior phone in the startrek line since it has 64 ROM and the extended battery. I had the i-mate Smartflip and loved it, but the memory issues killed me, so I was relieved when Cingular released the 3125 with double the memory, and the extended battery was an added bonus. This is the first that I had heard that they are going to start selling in different colors though. Interesting...

Oh, and I must admit that I am a little interested in the Cingular 8525 depending on if the Marine Corps transfers me to Recruiting (not sure if that is going to happen yet, but if it does I will need something a little more robust to keep track of a lot more goings on in my life).

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
dwhitelaw
post Nov 13 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #7

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 1,487
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Nov 12 2006, 10:01 PM) *
This is the first that I had heard that they are going to start selling in different colors though.

unsure.gif My mistake. The Imate or Dopod had pink, not Cingular. I looked at one of those Cell phone cover places at the mall and they had items for the 3125, but my wife was with me and I didn't want to lead on as to what I was looking for.

--------------------
Working for the Weekends

Motorola Q on Verizon
Mpx200 on T-Mo
Sony SZ280P
Mio GPS
Just trying to carry less stuff!

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 13 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

Any SmartPhone with wifi built in is on my radar. Sadly, that means I have my eye on only two...the T-Mo Dash and the Samsung i320. I don't like the form factor of either phone (essentially look like calculators to me huh.gif ) so I'm not running out to buy one. I really like Cingular's 3125 flipper (I miss using my MPx200 and 220 flippers), but haven't bought a 3125 due to lack of wifi. Still waiting I guess...and enjoying using my i-mate SP5m...just not thrilled with it's form factor either. But, at least it looks like a phone TO ME.

I'd also be interested in any SmartPhone that manages a camera better than the 1.3 that goes in everything these days. dry.gif Of course, it should be a flipper with built-in wifi! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
TheSaint
post Nov 14 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,540
Phone: Blackjack

My Christmas came early this year, according to my wife. dry.gif For the last two weeks we were on vacation/honeymoon in Thailand visiting her family and friends. While shopping we happened by a Samsung store in Bangkok's newest and biggest mall. I wanted to see if they had the SGH-i320. I wasn't expecting too much since it wasn't in any of the display cases. To my surprise they had one. So I took now time in purchasing it. The sales person said the the 512mb is biggest micro SD card that the phone will accept. sad.gif I find this hard to believe, as soon as I find out otherwise, you bet I'm gonna get a bigger card. The new card is almost full already. Since I was plunking down so much money for this phone I decided to spend a little extra to get a car charger, a cheap case till I find a better one and a Jabra BT350.

IMO this phone is much sexier then the "Q". I've always thought the electronics express themselves richer in black rather then silver in color. I really haven't had a chance to put this phone through is paces yet. But as far as I can tell it works as advertised. I still have to get use to using the small keys in the QWERTY keyboard, but I will adjust. I do have to say the typing text is much faster then typing with my old i-mate SP3i even with t9 predictive text. In comparison to my old phone this one loads programs faster and is smoother in program and menu transitions. Also the screen is much sharper. Unfortunately there is no wifi built in. But after thinking about that, the only time I would see myself using it would be to check the Internet at home.

My unit looks slightly different than the one in abatis post. Not sure why, maybe it was an earlier model.

So to answer the question on what has been tempting me, I would say the Samsung SGH-i320.

--------------------
Current Mobile Phones: Samsung SGH-i320, i-mate SP3i

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 14 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Well Saint, thanks for ruining it for me. wink.gif I had a mental note to keep an eye on the i-320 and now you've corrected my bad memory - the phone does NOT have wifi. sad.gif I remembering being concerned that it wasn't quad band but liked that it had a flash on the camera.

Looks like I'm not completely tempted by anything available these days. sad.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Nov 19 2006, 01:59 AM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Gadzooks! The Blackjack is for sale already!

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 19 2006, 05:26 AM
Post #12

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Well, Undude, the long winter months are not exactly upon us yet...but, it looks like it's time to get snuggly warm! Can't wait to hear what you think of Blackjack.

--------------------

+Quote Post
micaels
post Nov 19 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,623
Carrier: Other
PMC: Other

Currently im using a Nokia E61 and Qtek 9100. Both good units that's going to hold me warm during winter months. Altough the Qtek 9100 get's the most use. Im also saving up for the qtek 8500 biggrin.gif

--------------------
Phone(s): SPV C100; HP IPAQ 614; Q9; Nokia N95 8GB; HTC Advantage
PDA: Dell Axim X51v:
PMP(S): iPod Classic 160 GB; Ipod Shuffle 1G 1GB
Mobile acessories: Huawei E220; Novatell Wireless 3G cards; Stoaway Bluetooth keyboard

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Nov 25 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #14

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Nov 19 2006, 12:26 AM) *
Well, Undude, the long winter months are not exactly upon us yet...but, it looks like it's time to get snuggly warm! Can't wait to hear what you think of Blackjack.

After 18 solid months with my trusty Audiovox SMT 5600, I've plonked down some cash for a new Blackjack. I think Cingular must be doing a lot of business today, because the purchase took a while as store computers trying to access account and sales information databases and systems that were running very very slowly. While I was at it I bought a 1Gig microSD, a car-charger and a spare phone to PC Samsung proprietary connector. I just know I'll need two of them...

Anyway, I'll be playing with this for a while before I become accustomed to it. One thing that is very nice however, the Blackjack as a lot of cool software built-in and available out of the box. I have a lot to learn here though. I'll be posting comments and questions to the Samsung Balackjack Forum. See you there! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superstar
post Jul 23 2008, 05:35 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,444

I am new to this forum and I just wanted to say hey and that I look forward to speaking everybody.

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Aug 25 2008, 05:21 AM
Post #16

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

It's interesting reading this thread again now. I wonder how many people have already upgraded a few times since they they received the device they mentioned lucting after in 2006.

After almost two years with my Blackjack I (with the 6.0 upgrade) I'm very ready for a new device. I have to believe there are faster devices out there. Of course the irony is in reality I'm sure I'll still do 90% of the same things on any new device as I'm doing on my present device. But then again, who knows?

Top of my lusting list is the Samsung OMNIA / i900. I sure hope AT&T bring this to their network. What is selling me on that, rather than an HTC or the Sony-Ericsson is the 5MP camera. I never seem to have my camera with wih nowadays, but I do have my phone.

So, what new device is appealing to you nowadays?

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Aug 25 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

That is funny to read through. Since having the Q I've actually upgraded surprisingly little (for me at least). After the Q I got the Mogul, then the Touch. I've had the Touch now since last November. The device that's got me excited now is the Touch Diamond. It's supposed to be coming out soon on Sprint, and I'm due for an upgrade.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
abatis
post Aug 25 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #18

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

What happened to the Samsung i770 clamshell PPC? I did get the Samsung i760 -an excellent PPC Phone. However, the new Omnia looks interesting, especially if it works as well as the Instinct, but includes WM.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
AuntYaYa
post Apr 15 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 16,886

iPhone3G--finally my tMobile contract is up and I can switch to AT&T and get my iphone!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:00 PM