smccall
post Jun 16 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,534
Phone: Motorola Q
Carrier: Verizon
PocketPC: None

Does anyone know how to turn off the Windows start up sound that plays when the Motorola Q is turned on?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 16 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I've been looking into it, but it isn't as easy as past WM phones have been. There are a couple options so far. First, you can turn the Notification volume in whatever profile you use (probably Normal) to off. To do this go to Start/Settings/Profiles and highlight the profile you want to turn the sound off for. Then choose Menu/Edit, scroll down to Notification volume and set it to Off. The downside to this is all other notifications won't sound now either, including new email, new SMS, etc.

The other option is a registry edit. I'm still messing around with this one to make it work better. In your registry (you'll need an editor like PHM Regedit or Resco) go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Sounds/SystemStart. That is where the startup sound is located. In the values there is a Category and a Sound. The Sound value dictates what sound is played at system start. If you change it it will play the another sound. I tried just deleting it, and the sound doesn't play, but a different, less annoying sound does.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 16 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

I had stopped trying until you asked your question. Completely deleting the Sound value in the above registry location will silence the sound without silencing all the other notifications.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smccall
post Jun 19 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 16 2006, 03:25 PM) *
I had stopped trying until you asked your question. Completely deleting the Sound value in the above registry location will silence the sound without silencing all the other notifications.

I tried to load a registry editor to the phone but it won't allow the installation because the program is not digitally signed. Any idea how to override this?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 19 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Which regedit program are you using? I have Resco installed for the File Manager and the Registry Editor. It works great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smccall
post Jun 19 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 19 2006, 12:32 PM) *
Which regedit program are you using? I have Resco installed for the File Manager and the Registry Editor. It works great.

I tried to install Resco but the phone wouldn't allow the download. It downloaded to my desktop computer but not on the phone.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 19 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

You need to download the .exe to your PC (the cab doesn't have the registry editor), connect your Q to the PC via Activesync, then run the exe on your PC nd follow the installation instructions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleBob
post Jul 16 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,892
PocketPC: Other
MP3 Player: Other
PMC: Other

smile.gif
I used the Resco reg editor (installed from my PC) and deleted the registry entry for a startup sound, and it worked fine !! Now I can leave my notifications intact, and not have to put up with the annoying sound each time I start the Q (such as after having turned it of as required in a plane). Thanks for the tip !

+Quote Post
supercub
post Jan 26 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,099

If your afraid to delete files just create a silent wav file and copy it to the same windows directory and choose it for the startup sound. That way you can always go back and restore the original piano.wav file as default.

Works like a charm!

+Quote Post
Gunny Lee
post Aug 26 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 16,518

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 16 2006, 08:21 AM) *
I've been looking into it, but it isn't as easy as past WM phones have been. There are a couple options so far. First, you can turn the Notification volume in whatever profile you use (probably Normal) to off. To do this go to Start/Settings/Profiles and highlight the profile you want to turn the sound off for. Then choose Menu/Edit, scroll down to Notification volume and set it to Off. The downside to this is all other notifications won't sound now either, including new email, new SMS, etc.

The other option is a registry edit. I'm still messing around with this one to make it work better. In your registry (you'll need an editor like PHM Regedit or Resco) go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Sounds/SystemStart. That is where the startup sound is located. In the values there is a Category and a Sound. The Sound value dictates what sound is played at system start. If you change it it will play the another sound. I tried just deleting it, and the sound doesn't play, but a different, less annoying sound does.

I have a T-Mobile SDA running WM 5.0 and installed PHM Registry Editor per your suggestion, then I removed HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Sounds/SystemStart. to be clear I removed the SystemStart Key. In other words SystemStart no longer exist within HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Sounds. I also removed the Shutdown Key, but the phone still has a startup sound and shutdown sound. What am I missing? What did I do wrong?

Thank you for your help.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Aug 26 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

With older versions of the WM Smartphone OS, it wasn't very easy to change the startup sounds because anything placed in the Windows folder on the device would get overwritten every time it booted. Now there's a much easier method because this doesn't seem to happen anymore. Simply create two blank files called Startup.wav and Shutdown.wav, and copy them over to your Windows folder. Notepad works very well on the PC, just be sure to change the file extension from .txt to .wav, and that should silence the sounds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gunny Lee
post Aug 26 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 16,518

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Aug 25 2008, 07:37 PM) *
With older versions of the WM Smartphone OS, it wasn't very easy to change the startup sounds because anything placed in the Windows folder on the device would get overwritten every time it booted. Now there's a much easier method because this doesn't seem to happen anymore. Simply create two blank files called Startup.wav and Shutdown.wav, and copy them over to your Windows folder. Notepad works very well on the PC, just be sure to change the file extension from .txt to .wav, and that should silence the sounds.

Thanks for you help, this still didn't work, but because you had pointed me in the right direction I did find the .wav files in the Windows folder, named "T-Mobile Startup.wav" and "T-Mobile Shutdown.wav" both files are in ROM and can not be renamed or deleted.

+Quote Post
abatis
post Aug 26 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #13

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Gunny, try a better file explorer like http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm, the basic one is pretty limited.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:51 PM