IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trouble Creating New Data Connection on Unlocked MPx220, Password resets to old carrier's password
StormGoose
post Feb 11 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,017
Phone: MPx220

I bought an unlocked MPx220. It was originally a Cingular phone. It operates fine with its' FIDO SIM card with one EXCEPTION. I created a new GPRS connection, called FIDO and set Internet Connection to be FIDO. In FIDO I entered all the data per the carrier. But it didn't work. In reviewing it to make sure that I entered the data correctly I found that the password was too long.. in fact it is the length of the Cingular password.. (hmmmm), the FIDO password is "fido". So I reset it and said done and checked it again.. and it again reset itself to the longer password.
I am also unclear why I can't set the WAP or Secure WAP connection to anything but Automatic.. but until I can get the password to stay correct I don't know if it is even an issue.
Anyone have any experience/ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 11 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

What I think is happening is a security measure. I don't think the password is changing, just the length of the * is so someone who doesn't know the password can't even fgure out how many characters are in it. I'm not positive though, but I'd bet the cause of it not connecting is something else.

In order to set a connection for WAP you have to create a connection with the Connects to option as WAP instead of The Internet. Without having a MPX220 in front of me it's difficult to say anything for certain though.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
StormGoose
post Feb 11 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,017
Phone: MPx220

Thanks.. sounds reasonable.. so I do have a WAP connection now, called FIDO 2. I am wondering which data fields are actually required for Internet versus WAP.. I have all the data, but not sure if having too much meses it up.. specifically I have the following and maybe I have entered too much or too little. I assume I need BOTH an internet and a WAP connection.

internet.fido.ca
user fido password fido

http://wap.fido.ca user name fido password fido
homepage http://wap.fido.ca

ip 205.151.011.011
DNS 204.92.15.211 Alt 204.92.15.212

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 13 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Affirmative on the number of asterisks having nothing to do with the length of the password, just as Smeg has said.

Yes, you do need to set up both a proxy (WAP) connection and a GPRS (internet) connection on your 220.

Have you checked the help pages of your provider's web site to find the settings? I'm with Cingular and they have self-help pages that take your step-by-step through each setting. I don't know if they all do this, but it's worth a look.

Alternatively (or, additionally), check this page: (I can't vouch for the info being correct, just pointing you in another direction.)
http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p...amp;postcount=4

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:44 PM