11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Review of WM 5 upgrade for MPX200
oclp
post Jan 8 2006, 05:44 AM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,745

QUOTE (McPhisto @ Dec 29 2005, 10:26 AM)
Hi!! Im using WM5 in my mpx200, and i have to say that it runs great!!!
Much better than 2003, simply because it has everything 2003 has (except from file manager, resource, etc and things you can get from third party) and looks much better and runs smoother.

I installed the File Manager and Task Manager from the original MPX200 CD from Motorola (WM2002) and they both work fine with WM2005.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
infrax
post Jan 8 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 10,838
Phone: MPx200

I have a hardware problem. Keylights doesnot work and it makes an annoying sound. So I want to DISABLE KEYPAD LIGHT by registry. Any ideas how to do it ??

+Quote Post
AndrewSh
post Jan 8 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 10,805
Phone: Dopod s300
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: Asus
PMC: Other

QUOTE (infrax @ Jan 8 2006, 03:30 PM)
I have a hardware problem. Keylights doesnot work and it makes an annoying sound. So I want to DISABLE KEYPAD LIGHT by registry. Any ideas how to do it ??

Actually you have to look
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ ActivityTimers \ UserActivity
Modify the parameter "Timeout"

--------------------
Remember, just because you're paranoid that doesn't mean that everyone's not out to get you.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 8 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #84

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I had a MPx200 with this problem, and tried editing the registry to get the buzz to go away by turning the backlight completely off. It never did work. I don't think editing the registry to any value will completely turn off the backlight.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
infrax
post Jan 8 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 10,838

I agree with you. but is there any solution you made so far ? except changing the phone smile.gif

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 8 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #86

Group Icon

Replacing the phone was the easiest (and only) fix I could come up with. I was able to sell my damaged phone for the same price I got a good condition phone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pkcheng
post Jan 9 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 10,877
Google Talk ID: PKC

Thanks to all of your for sharing of your valuable experience and i managed to flash my MPX200 with WM5 and unlock the applications. biggrin.gif

Here's my little experience to share with all of you.

The steps of removal of SIM card (as in turk's movie) is very important. I have tried for 2 times (with both Kingston 128 and SanDisk 512) and the OS get stuck until i remove the SIM card and redo the steps.

My Kingston 128 work just fine as SanDisk.

For the compatibility with Dig Camera, my way is to copy everything in the card after flashing of WM5 to PC; format the mem card with dig cam and copy all the file back to the card. You can dup iit to as many card as you want.. and all my cards work. wink.gif

+Quote Post
NoNafs
post Jan 9 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 8,752
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Other

All these posts about the MPx200 are making me miss mine. I sold it a while ago to replace it with an smt5600. Did I make a mistake?? (I don't think so, but the MPx200 is by far the SEXIEST smartphone).

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 9 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #89

Group Icon

No, you didn't make a mistake. The SMT5600 is a far superior phone than the MPx200. It even has a leaked WM5 ROM available, just like the MPx200. The only advantage the MPx200 has over the SMT5600 (in my opinion) is longevity. I can't believe it got TWO OS upgrade leaks. It has really lasted a long time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tiger2380
post Jan 9 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 8,135

QUOTE (oclp @ Jan 8 2006, 12:44 AM)
I installed the File Manager and Task Manager from the original MPX200 CD from Motorola (WM2002) and they both work fine with WM2005.

where do you put those files.

+Quote Post
oclp
post Jan 10 2006, 08:19 AM
Post #91

Member No.: 2,745

QUOTE (tiger2380 @ Jan 9 2006, 06:35 PM)
where do you put those files.

You run the setup program from the Motorola MPx200 CD-ROM and it installs it over the ActiveSync (4.1) connection. The Resco versions run fine too, but they're not free.

+Quote Post
elviaitalia
post Jan 10 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #92

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,112
Carrier: Vodafone
PocketPC: HTC

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 9 2006, 06:46 PM)
No, you didn't make a mistake.  The SMT5600 is a far superior phone than the MPx200.  It even has a leaked WM5 ROM available, just like the MPx200.  The only advantage the MPx200 has over the SMT5600 (in my opinion) is longevity.  I can't believe it got TWO OS upgrade leaks.  It has really lasted a long time.

Hi Smeg et all,

I don't know anything about the SMT5600 as I never even had the occasion of laying my hands on one but, as far as I'm concerned I can say that the day I got my Mpx200 is the day I made one of the best deals of my life laugh.gif

I still remember that day... I had recently bought a beautiful (but awfully big, heavy and clumsy) iPaq 5600. Then I saw the Mpx200 which had just showed up on the shelves and immediately fell in love with it.
As I already had been shelling a good load of bucks on the counter for the ppc device I could not afford (or rather... wife would have killed me had I done that), to get this one more gadget. I so started roaming around all the italian cellular-centric sites, searching for somebody who would trade his Mpx200 for my ppc.
It took me months but I finally bumped into a guy which was looking for a pda with a big screen as he was not very young anymore and was so not comfortable with the Mpx200's diminutive display. I closed the deal very quickly and in a matter of days I received my almost never used Windows Mobile 2002 powered phone.

Since then this little thing has become the essential companion of my everyday life both at home and at work. It's been undergoing two major overhauls (from WM2002 to 2003 and now from 2003 to 2005); it's almost four years old and there are a good load of scratches and bruises on it's hide that prove it.
Nonetheless it's still my workhorse and does everything I need it to do plus a few more things. It obviously lacks some features that now seem to be all the fuss like BT and WiFi but, as I never used any of these options and don't need to I don't feel I'm missing anything. I also am one of those people who think that the lack of a camera on a phone is a plus so I'm as happy as can be.

That said lately I have been hunting for a replacement to this phone because, as I said, my trusty old friend is starting to show its age: The back cover is almost open on one side as two of the retainer plastic lips got broken. I cannot use the phone as an mp3 player because the right channel blew up so the audio signal will just come out from the left earbud. The sim card retainer lip got broken too, I had the whole phone's plastics replaced and it broke again so I'm now back to having a folded piece of paper under my battery. The display's hinges are still doing good when the flip is open but when it's closed the upper part of the phone will move as if it's stuck to the rest of the body with scotch tape. But those are minor issues for a phone that has been used as this one: scratched by keys and coins in the pockets of my jackets, squashed by my whole weight in my trousers back pockets, it has been falling on the ground from considerable heights three or four times, it even has had to cope with my wife's fury twice, thus getting hurled to the floor (!).
It has survived all this and still is here to claim its sturdiness laugh.gif

The fact is that so far the only viable option I could find is the Mpx220 which I really do not like as I am convinced that it is in no way superior to what I already have. On the contrary! Some months ago I wrote in this here forum that back in Italy the price tag of the Mpx200 is (still) higher than that of the Mpx220... there must be a reason for such a peculiar situation.
For what is about other phones they are much too expensive (e.g. Htc universal, iMate Jam), too big (put the name of your favorite pda phone here) or too ugly (candybar phones in general).

I consequently am still waiting for a phone as sexy, as small, robust, durable and reltively cheap as the Mpx200 to come out but I fear that I won't see it so I will stick to what I have. smile.gif

Last but not least show me another phone which has got such a large community of affectionate followers as this one after such a long time. You can't 'cause it does not exist so what's left to say? Long live the Mpx200! And in ten years time when we will all still be here discussing the minor problems related to the flashing of our dear old Mpx200 with the latest release of the WIM050 (Windows Intergalactic Mobile 2050) all the other phones will have been left long before gathering dust on some forgotten corner of our houses. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
NoNafs
post Jan 10 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 8,752
Phone: SMT5600

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 9 2006, 09:46 AM)
No, you didn't make a mistake.  The SMT5600 is a far superior phone than the MPx200.  It even has a leaked WM5 ROM available, just like the MPx200.  The only advantage the MPx200 has over the SMT5600 (in my opinion) is longevity.  I can't believe it got TWO OS upgrade leaks.  It has really lasted a long time.

But the bulletproof hinge, the exterior, i kno i hav a better phone, but y couldnt it look better? (i do have the wm5 upgrade for my smt and its pretty tight)

This post has been edited by NoNafs: Jan 10 2006, 09:39 PM

+Quote Post
konker
post Jan 12 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 10,956
PocketPC: HTC

Hi...anyone can comment on the upgrade wizard?
I've the version 1.20 from the WM2003 upgrade package.
The flash video by smartturk indicated using version 1.8.5.
Is it necesary?
Has anyone tried using the version 1.2 to flash to WM5?
Also, I was provided a link to download a O2_XPhoneIIm WM5 ROM which the person used to flash his MPx200.
Can anyone verify that it'll work?
Thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
post Jan 12 2006, 02:42 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 10,681
Carrier: o2
PocketPC: Dell
MP3 Player: iPod Nano

QUOTE (konker @ Jan 12 2006, 08:05 AM)
Hi...anyone can comment on the upgrade wizard?
I've the version 1.20 from the WM2003 upgrade package.
The flash video by smartturk indicated using version 1.8.5.
Is it necesary?
Has anyone tried using the version 1.2 to flash to WM5?
Also, I was provided a link to download a O2_XPhoneIIm WM5 ROM which the person used to flash his MPx200.
Can anyone verify that it'll work?
Thanks! smile.gif

you may use 1.20 without any problem biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post Jan 13 2006, 07:32 AM
Post #96

Member No.: 9,517

hi,

For some reason there is nothing on my SD-card (SanDisk 1 Gb) when flashing according to the instructions. I tried it with an older MMC kingston 256Mb card, but no luck either. However I did have a small success once. I got the second master reset with the clean and format options. I did forget to reinstall the SIM card before this reset and after that my phone wouldn't boot again.

I could reflash it with the first part and it would boot again, so I tried it again without making the mistake of leaving the SIM card out before the second master reset. No luck: since then nothing is on (either) card.

Oke: I go another 265 Mb Kingston SD card. It would install completely!!
I copied all the files over from the 256Mb card to my 1Gb Sandisc card and it is working perfertly now!!

This post has been edited by DrBrains: Jan 13 2006, 12:51 PM

+Quote Post
dmk_911
post Jan 13 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 10,987
Phone: MPx
Carrier: Alltel
MP3 Player: Creative

can someone send me a link to the 2005 rom and upgrade wizard, i tried the turks website but couldn't get it to download, kept sending me to a foreign language page, thanks

+Quote Post
Z3RatuL
post Jan 14 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 10,997
Carrier: Vodafone
MP3 Player: Cowon iAudio

QUOTE (yufeng66)
I do have one issue. When I get a call, the caller's number instead of the name is displayed on the outside screen. After I open up the phone, the correct name will show up on the main screen. Is it only me or other people is having the same problem too?

I'm also having the same problem with my external screen when someone form my Contact list is calling me. It worked fine for about 3 days, but now it displays only the caller's phone and not his name.

Ayone knows how this can be fixed?

This post has been edited by Z3RatuL: Jan 14 2006, 12:29 AM

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post Jan 20 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 9,517

Hi,

After a few days of using WM5 on my MPX200, it will no longer turn on. I googled around, but couldn't find a good sollution. I reflashed it back to WM2003 but I don't like it anymore since I got used to having WM5 on my phone.

I tried reflashing from scratch but no luck with that either...

Anyone??

+Quote Post
flowmatik
post Jan 21 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 9,420
Carrier: Alltel

i've been having this issue too. it's inconsistent though. some people's names do come up on my external display and some just come up with the number. i have a theory that it may have something to day with the sim card but i havn't investigated it yet. if anyone can shed some light on this, i'm sure we would all appreciate it.

--------------------
"Always forward I'm moving"

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:04 PM