IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cingular 3125 wm5 different version?, It didn't look like or work like my device with wm5.
runningtiger
post Nov 6 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I stepped into a Cingular store this past weekend and played with a fully working 3125. Until then, I'd only held a dummy phone in my hand. After playing with it for awhile, I was noticing that the OS doesn't totally look the same as it does on my i-mate SP5m. Is it just that the Cingular ROM has been customized, or is it running a newer version of wm5?

For instance, when I typed a few letters the contacts list would open but there was an entry box where the name could be typed. (this is totally from memory, so forgive me if I'm getting this wrong). On mine the list shows up and shortens with each new letter entry. But the "letters" are only showing up as "numbers" in the large box at the top of this window.

The "about" information on my wm5 device says:

Attached Image Attached Image

Also, "beam" is on the 3125's menu but I don't see an infrared port on the phone anywhere. Is it hidden in the circle on the outside screen? Or, did I just miss it?

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 7 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Ok, it is naturally going to look different as it is a "Cingular" ROM. Although it isn't too different from what was on my Smartflip except the internal memory, and all the Cingular add ons. Everything in my about is "newer" than what you have with the exception of the RIL version. Also keep in mind that this doesn't mean that it is a newer version of WM5 but just a newer build with all the Cingular stuff, and the things particular to the Star Trek series of phones. Here is what my about looks like (Also keep in mind that my phone came with push and the extra stuff that was offered in UPDATES to other WM5 phones).

Attached Image Attached Image

I am afraid that I am not following on the smartdial feature though. I don't see any boxes for text input when I just start dialing, or when I go into contacts. Here is the "directions" it gives me under <More Information> when there are no more matches in the book via letters/number sequence.

Attached Image

Now, for the "beam", that is simply for bluetooth. HTC has decided not to include IR any longer in most of the newer phones they are putting out. Honestly that makes sense since it is an old and under used technology, and that is what BT is for (in their minds I guess). You are correct that there is not an IR port anywhere on the phone.

Hope this helps clear some of those things up.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 7 2006, 10:03 AM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Thanks for the information Gryphon. Looks like I'll have to go back to the store and look at the phone again to see what that text entry box was that I'm remembering. Just the overall feel of the OS seemed different than mine. Not a lot different...but little things here and there. I only played with it for less than 5 minutes, so my memory of it isn't good at all.

I looked for the infrared specifically 'cuz earlier that day I was transferring files from my i-mate to our MPx220 - which I did via infrared. So, it was in the front of my brain to see what that looked like on what is probably going to be the replacement phone for the 220. But, I couldn't find it...'cuz it isn't there. Makes sense.

So, without that function, we'd need to have the OBEX authentication (passkey) required checked affirmatively on the BT settings menu of both phones in order to transfer files back and forth? I remember there is a CAB file over at Surreal Networks for enabling BT OBEX, but since it does what it does automatically I'm not sure if it's just checking this box or if it's making a registry change as well (or, instead).

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 8 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

All you have to do is have it enabled on both devices, if they are WM5. No registry edit required.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:09 AM