IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cingular's "SmartPhone Connect" UNLIMITED, can I stream radio all day long? really?
hermes323
post Feb 29 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,171
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
Secondary Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: Toshiba
MP3 Player: Other
PMC: Creative Zen

fromhermes323:

Hello I am a newbie..
I am being told my Att 8525 cannot connect to the Internet without a data plan. The account is on a family plan ( no data ) just for calling home or other ATT cell users.

CAN ATT charge me eventhough they insist I cannot connect to the Internet via WIFI without a Media plan?
Several hours wasted with CSR ( that know only to parrot " it is not possible without a dataplan" )

I guess what I am looking for is opinions on the usage of a smart phone connecting through WIFI without getting ripped off by ATT.
The managers are know saying I have "media usage charges of $1.00 eventhoug i.0 I do not have a Media plan, ii.) my 8525 has internet? block on it and iii.) NO subscription NO Internet via WIFI?

They cannot get it straight but are LOOKING to scam /defraud money from customers!!!
I use a Tmobile pay as you go SIMM ( no more money balance ) in the 8525. As they say I cannot access the web with my own home WIFI network without a data plan.

Help anyone.

Help....
Really help us with the need to connect without a data plan.

This gets me wondering...if I had Cingular's SmartPhone Connect Unlimited plan, could I stream a radio station for hours like I want to do today? That would be an ENORMOUS amount of data. Is that really OK to do, or would Cingular disconnect me if I did this daily (or, even once)? Would they take note and terminate me?
[/quote]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 29 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

AT&T has no control over wifi use. If you use wifi, the data is free. Especially if you are using a T-Mobile SIM. The only reason I can imagine they would make the claim that you must have a data plan through them is just in case you are connected via wifi, but the connection accidentally gets broken somehow. Then the phone would try to connect via the carrier data. If you didn't have a data plan, and it did connect via the carrier data, that could get expensive very fast. But if you're not even using the phone on Cingular, and are using a T-Mobile pay as you go, then that isn't a concern.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
hermes323
post Feb 29 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,171
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
Secondary Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: Toshiba
MP3 Player: Other
PMC: Creative Zen

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Feb 29 2008, 04:12 PM) *
AT&T has no control over wifi use. If you use wifi, the data is free. Especially if you are using a T-Mobile SIM. The only reason I can imagine they would make the claim that you must have a data plan through them is just in case you are connected via wifi, but the connection accidentally gets broken somehow. Then the phone would try to connect via the carrier data. If you didn't have a data plan, and it did connect via the carrier data, that could get expensive very fast. But if you're not even using the phone on Cingular, and are using a T-Mobile pay as you go, then that isn't a concern.

THanks..
by the by..
they gave me a $15.00 credit for the trouble.

I could not find others with the same experience with ATT trying to FOrce me on to a data plan

Can I make the 8525 go to wifi or lan ONLY.
And temporarily disable any data usage from a carriers sym ( ? GPRS ?)

thanks again

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:23 AM