11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Review of WM 5 upgrade for MPX200
JustinLu
post May 4 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,982

after flash the 3rd img, if you do not put a SD card into phone, can you power it on?
i think if the phone cannot read the SD card, there should be an error message on screen. but there not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ardec1
post May 4 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #182

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 11,102
Phone: SX66/PDA2k
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Other

QUOTE (JustinLu @ May 3 2006, 06:36 PM) *
after flash the 3rd img, if you do not put a SD card into phone, can you power it on?
i think if the phone cannot read the SD card, there should be an error message on screen. but there not.

You need to put the SD card in BEFORE you flash both the 2nd. and the 3rd. image.

Look at this:

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=10836

+Quote Post
JustinLu
post May 4 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #183

Member No.: 11,982

QUOTE (ardec1 @ May 4 2006, 10:47 AM) *
You need to put the SD card in BEFORE you flash both the 2nd. and the 3rd. image.

Look at this:

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=10836

thanks

i followed this steps, but also failed.

i think the rom doesn't support my mpx200.

there may be some different between my mpx200 and yours.

+Quote Post
chawks2
post May 4 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 1,800

I have had WM2005 on my mpx200 for over 2 weeks. I have been generally satisfied with performance.

I put my phone in flight mode on occasion to avoid the, "choose network" screen. Welp, when I put it in flight mode today it gave me "invalid SIM card, please enter valid SIM card" - then an "Unlock" option appeared.

Whenever I pressed Unlock it did absolutely nothing. I have no idea how this happened, I'm moderately angry because the process of getting my phone back to normal is approx. 2 hours. UGH!!!

Where is my damn Qtek 8500!!!! I can not wait any longer...

+Quote Post
GRajales
post May 16 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #185

Member No.: 11,747
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: None
MP3 Player: iPod Nano

I've done the upgrade, and is a good OS, quick enough (it runs better than the original Smartphone 2002, and has a comparable performance to Windows Mobile 2003).

But i think that something that is very annoying (at least for me) is that you can't eject the SD/MMC card with the phone ON. With 2002 and 2003, it was very easy to get out the phone, pop out the card and use it as a portatile disk. This still can be done, but it is absolutely necessary to turn off the phone (at least to avoid the system crash).. and sometimes you can't have your phone turned off even a second.

This was my primary reason to go back to WM2003.

But I liked so much Windows Media 10!!!!!!!

And this makes me use this post to ask if somebody knows is there any program, that allows library-playing like Media Player 10 in WM 5.0, for the WM2003?

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 19 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #186

Member No.: 12,008
Carrier: Orange
MP3 Player: Other

QUOTE (bryanharig @ Apr 14 2006, 05:50 AM) *
This is the same problem I am having. I followed these instructions religiously and after flashing image3 and removing and reinstalling the battery the phone is unresponsive after step 13.
The phone is a triband mpx200 and I am using a 256mb sandisk SD card. The phone does not respond to the power button or master reset. It is not detected when plugged into USB. The only abnormality I can think of is that I dont have a SIM card to use yet, so at no time durring this process have I had one to insert. I dont see how this could cause my problem though.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

It's not a missing sim card error, as after I flashed and reset mine and forgot to put the card in, it went all through the boot sequence and said the usual " bad or missing sim card"

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 19 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #187

QUOTE (slap @ Feb 23 2006, 07:31 PM) *
*edit: problem now solved by enabling DHCP. smile.gif

Thanks to everyone who contributed with all tips and tricks here. I have now flashed my phone to WM2005, and it seems to be fast responsive. However, I have one (at least for now) problem. Activesync won't recognize it. I have reinstalled Activesync 4.1, deleted the previous phone connection and restarted both my computer and my phone several times.
The thing that really troubles me is that when I connect the phone, my computer recognizes it as a network card operating at 10mbps, and tries to aquire an ip address from it.
I'm on a 6mbit dsl connection with a static ip on my machine, so I really don't need gprs for surfing. Any tips?

Hi,
Just joined this forum, both my friend [ Nokia and data suite] and I [WM3 and active sync] have had real problems connecting phones, it seems to be the dsl modem, disconnect that first and try syncing again, it worked for both of us.
Good Luck

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 20 2006, 06:31 AM
Post #188

QUOTE (JustinLu @ May 4 2006, 11:20 AM) *
thanks

i followed this steps, but also failed.

i think the rom doesn't support my mpx200.

there may be some different between my mpx200 and yours.

Hi mine crashed on the second IMG file install three or four times, used a different SD card and it worked, worth a try.

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 20 2006, 06:34 AM
Post #189

QUOTE (moonlitstargazer @ Mar 29 2006, 01:27 AM) *
[size=3]
ok just to be plain and simple wm2005 is by far the best yet.

PROS
faster os
better reception
battery life improved

CONS
no task manager ( reccomend 3rd party)
no batter or memory ( reccomend 3rd party)
that weird thing that it keeps showing numbers on the external screen
and this os has less personality ( ex you cant change the external display)

SOLUTIONS
3rd party programs
registry editer
WILL FIX ALL PROBLEMS

PS for some questions asked earlier i have a 2gb sandisk sd card i dont know what happend but now it only shows up as a 1gb i dont really know why im guessing wm5 partitioned it when it was formatting and now the second gb is just waste space

Hi, was running WM2003 and my 2 gig only showed as one gig, just upgraded to WM5 and the card is still showing only one gig.

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 20 2006, 06:50 AM
Post #190

QUOTE (ardec1 @ Feb 17 2006, 03:43 AM) *
Before you start doing anything you remove the SIM and charge the battery so it is fully charged.
Flash the first image file and follow the earlier instructions.
You MUST wait for the error message about the device ID before doing anything else.
Flash the second image and the third without doing anything else.
Remove the battery and follow the earlier instructions.
Finally, after everything is done, put your SIM card back in and start the phone.

Hi,

I'm sure I'd left my phone on charge all night [ could be wrong after a few beers ! ], but my battery died whilst formatting IPSM, it looks as though several people have dead phones, is it possibly the same problem, upgrading kills the battery especially after several failed flashes ?.

Anyway, I luckily had a spare with a low charge put that in and was able to charge it enough to hard reset the phone and carry on, I think I left it plugged in whilst hard re-setting.

+Quote Post
mpx200cat
post May 22 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #191

Member No.: 12,198
Carrier: Vodafone
PocketPC: Compaq
PMC: Other

Hey guys, i´m running the oldest version of the mpx200(smartphone 2002). And i want to upgrade to WM05. But there are a few questions here and there.

1 I'm using a kingston 1GB card, can this card be used in the upgrade procces? If not, can i use my 256 siliconpower card and then copy the files to my 1gb kingston?

2 Does the phone have to be unlocked? (mine is, but i have noticed a big amount of dead phones!)

3 Can i stil use my smartphone 2002 aplications?

4 i heard something about selecting things while upgrading my phone, what do i have to select?

5 what are the bugs?

6 And most of all, whats so goooooood about WM5?????

+Quote Post
chawks2
post May 24 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #192

FYI

My perils with WM5 continue. After another 3 weeks of being very happy, my phone just stopped working again. This time, the errors were "..can not find appman.exe" (when pressing Start) and "..cdial.exe is not a valid application"(trying to dial numbers).

The phone was completely unresponsive, and also gave a "No Service" message. On the outside LCD a full service icon existed, but it was not the case.

The issue was some corrupt files on the phone. In my setup, I need to have the directory on my SD card "_TFAT_ blah blah etc" or the phone does not boot properly. These are the raw settings from when I did the first upgrade to WM5. There are *.vol files at the root, which apparently, became corrupt because once I replaced them with the ones in the "_TFAT blah etc" directory the phone came back to life, but without my contacts mad.gif . Not really a big deal, but still an _annoyance_.

I will point out too, for those of you who are doing this upgrade, make sure your SD card is rated at a minimum of 40x.

Where is my damn Qtek?!?!

This post has been edited by chawks2: May 24 2006, 08:59 PM

+Quote Post
toomuchdogfur
post Jun 22 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #193

Member No.: 12,568
Carrier: Vodafone
PocketPC: None

QUOTE (boggyman @ Jan 7 2006, 01:37 AM) *
does anyone know is it possible to change the order of system icons in the start menu??
this one drives me crazy!!! mad.gif

QUOTE (boggyman @ Jan 7 2006, 01:37 AM) *
does anyone know is it possible to change the order of system icons in the start menu??
this one drives me crazy!!! mad.gif

OK I realise that I may be waaaaaay late on this but it seems like no one has answered it so for future reference...

Changing the Start menu\grid icon order
Open this key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMenu\Order

From there it should be bleedingly obvious wink.gif

This key will force the icons and folders you state there to appear in that order, BEFORE other icons. Hence if you put five icons/folders in that key, then your start menu/grid will have those five icons/folders in that stated order, THEN your other icons in alphabetical order, and then your folders in alphabetical order.

And of course, deleting the contents of the key completely will make ALL of your icons appear in alphabetical order.

Also note the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMRU\InitalOrder key, which you can use to define the icons that appear in your MRU after a reset. Well actually, WM5 saves the MRU icons between reboots, so editing this key is practically useless (SP2002 and WM2003 though does not save MRU icons though, so editing this could be useful on phones with those OSes).

Andrew

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Jun 27 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #194

Once again my mpx w/ WM 5 crapped out. It displays an "Unlock" in the bottom left corner, but you can not do anything with the phone. This is now the third time I have had to rebuild this phone with WM 5. I'm getting exceedingly efficient at rebuilding it. blink.gif

My Qtek should be here by 2nd week of July...woohoooo.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Xtreme
post Jul 5 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #195

Member No.: 12,780

I'm looking for the video that smart-turk made. Can't find it anywhere. Can somebody give me a link or send me a copy?

+Quote Post
raversnet
post Aug 9 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #196

Member No.: 13,118

QUOTE (AndrewSh @ Dec 29 2005, 09:32 AM) *
In addition to my previous post about the registry:
First:
I really don't understand the replies like "Did you install the Registry Editor?"
It's a good advise for people with kinda dementia I suppose! Sorry....
Second:
We fixed the problem three days ago with registry. Now it's unlocked! We already start to modify it. "We" means people from Minsk, Belarus. MPx Forum.

To all. The unlock kit is attached. You for sure must have a card reader to perform the task!

I've upgraded to wm2005 with no problems whatsoever. I briefly had an activesync issue but i found by reinstalling activesync i was able to connect immediately.

Now after applying the unlock kit i was able to view my signal strength on the outside of my phone. So i presume it worked. I did however delete the cab install file as i didnt think i needed it anymore.

Everything seems to be working fine as it is however i cant seem to install any applications. They all say:

'The installation file is not intended for this device.'

Resco Explorer is version 5.40 so its made for WM.05

Did the unlock not work or should i have not deleted the Cab file afterwards?

Thanks,

Rob

+Quote Post
raversnet
post Aug 9 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #197

Ok so i tried the unlock again. Each time it says its unlocked and the Cert.cab installs successfully. So far its the only program i have managed to install and i have tried pretty much every mentioned working program in this thread.

What am i missing? Thanks to all that have worked on this OS hack. Its greatly appreciated.

R.

+Quote Post
Takato~
post Aug 9 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 13,051
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
MP3 Player: Cowon iAudio

Hi!!

Well.. after i'm updating my mpx200 to WM2003, i upgrase sucessfull to WM5, with a SD Card of 512MB!

The system has not problem with them, it's a SD A-Data SuperSD 512MB.

I hope that this information serves other users to him.

Greetings~

+Quote Post
raversnet
post Aug 10 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #199

Turns out i was just being a dumbass. Im use to my ipaq ppc with phone function. So i was trying to install ppc versions of software and not the smartphone versions. DOH!

Thanks anyways guys. This upgrade was a piece of cake otherwise and alot faster than some have been reporting.

Cheers!

Rob smile.gif

+Quote Post
progolftool
post Aug 14 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #200

Member No.: 13,101
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: Other

Hey Samdog, great post. Are you telling me with the 2005 version, this phone works with bluetooth? Does it also work on the 2003 version?

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:38 AM