Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Luckily MobilegadgetNews is headquartered in the beautiful Denver metro area and it so happens that Sprint is rolling out their new AIRAVE, the first commercially available femtocell here in Denver. Yesterday a new AIRAVE box showed up on our porch, compliments of Sprint for testing. The AIRAVE service is currently only available in Denver and Indianapolis. OK, first what is a femtocell. A femtocell is a small cellular base station designed for use in residential or small business environments. It connects to the Sprint network via broadband (such as DSL or cable). The Sprint AIRAVE is a compact base station that works with any Sprint phone and a broadband Internet connection to provide enhanced in-home wireless coverage plus unlimited calling. Why AIRAVE? First of all you create your own cell tower in your home or small office. Nice if you have reception problems in your area. But there are a number of benefits you get by using the AIRAVE.

With the Sprint AIRAVE by Samsung, Sprint customers can:
  • Get enhanced coverage in their homes.
  • Talk all they want while in their homes, without worrying about using their wireless minutes. Unlimited incoming and outgoing calls and nationwide long distance are included while using a Sprint phone at home.
  • Take advantage of enhanced coverage and unlimited home calling without having to purchase a new phone. All Sprint phones are compatible with the AIRAVE.
  • Reduce their monthly communication expenses. AIRAVE service is priced at just $15 per month for individuals and $30 per month for families, in addition to the customer's regular wireless voice plan.
  • Easily install the device using their existing broadband Internet service and a power outlet.
  • Have their calls automatically transferred back to the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network when they leave home.

We will be reviewing the AIRAVE over the next several weeks and reporting on the various features like locking what cellphones that can use the AIRAVE and it's ISP bandwidth use. Stay tuned for further information on this innovative product.
Attached Image

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 23 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

So it's basically a gateway to connect any Sprint cellphone to a VOIP connection, correct? That's a cool idea, and being able to use any existing cell without additional software or hardware installed on the phone is a cool idea. I personally don't see using one myself (especially since it isn't available in my area yet), but I'll be interested to see how it works out for you Abatis.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:13 PM