Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

McTraveller is a world clock program with features like destination weather forecasts, currency conversion, and more.The Install:The main ZIP file for this program is downloadable from Fizz software. The demo is a full function copy of the software but you need to register to use it after 7 days. The zip file has the Fizz Software Application engine and the main program embedded in it. You need to install both to proceed.The application engine needs 733kb of storage space and the main program needs 797kb. Both installed easily on my storage card to save storage space in the phone itself. During the installation there is a shortcut installed into the Programs folder on your phone and a folder added to the start menu called mcTraveller on your desktop machine that gives shortcuts to the user manual.How do I get started:Upon launching the application on the phone you first select the language you will be using (options include English, French, German, Spanish and Italian).What with this thing do:With mcTraveller you can- Track the time in up to 4 major cities from around the world. - Perform an internet city lookup helping you add to the default database of over 200 world cities. The lookup supports over 26,000 US cities and 32,000 international cities - Set alarms in your time zone or any time zone for any city. - Understand who's in daylight and who's in darkness with mcTraveller's real-time, world daylight map. - Get weather forecasts for today, 48 hours or 5 days ahead, for any city in mcTraveller's database. - See weather and the time in your four world cities - See international dial codes. - See what cities respect daylight savings time. - Make schedules and trip itineraries. - Do all your currency conversions. - Configure your interface. - Sync your device time with an internet atomic clock. So what is it really like:The interface it pretty simple once you get the feel for it. There is a pop up menu that springs up along the bottom whit icons for your home time, world times, alarms list, international times, itinerary, currency conversion, weather, and options.The home screen displays the clock of your home city. If you don't see it on the list you can make your own. If you don't like the looks of the clock face that is there by default you can customize it in the option screen. There are 5 clock faces in the initial install and there is a clock face upgrade available that gives you an additional 20 faces with a 264kb install.The World time screen shows any 4 times from around the world with one showing a clock face. You select a city in the menu to change it.You have the ability to set multiple alarms, each alarm having various characteristics such as sounds, message and time zones. I am not sure how much added functionality this will have beyond the 5 or 6 other ways I can set alarms other that the fact that I can set alarms at local times of a different time zone making me not have to the do math.The international screen is one of those cool maps that shows what part of the world is in light and what it in darkness right now. I always liked these maps. You can use your directional pad to scroll through your 4 main cities in your world time screen. The locations are lit up with a flashing dot to help you locate them. For each of these cities, you can see the date and time at the bottom of the screen.ThemcTraveller itinerary screen will help you plan your trips or tasks, making sure you don't forget important things. You can add tasks and mark the complete or not complete, this may be a great place for you to keep a list of those travel related things you always forget like Passports, and tour books.The currency conversion screen allows you to quickly convert currency to and from any of 14 different currencies. If you want more than this you can add currencies of your own. You can also update over the air to the latest conversion rates and even you new added currencies can be updated if you have the correct letter code added (these codes are in the help documents).mcTraveller supports fetching weather by using a connection to the internet and usingCustomWeather, Inc.Four screens are available for displaying and selecting weather reports.- Select City/Current Day- 5 Day Forecast- 48 Hour Forecast- Current Condition MapsI downloaded the current forecast for my home city and after a 7k download, I had a pretty good 5 day forecast. You have to download the map manually due to it's large size, you won't want it downloaded all the time.The options screen give you an ample number of options for the program like custom colors, clock faces, and update your phone to an atomic clock over the air. I like the last feature the best, it's not necessary for the average Joe, it's just cool.So what's the overall take...This is a pretty slick little program and I think it will be a very handy tool for the traveling person. The graphics are pretty good overall and the program includes about all the functionality I would ask for from a product like this one. Overall I am pleased and for only$14.99 at Handango I think it is a pretty good deal.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:06 AM