Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SDA voice issue?
The First
post Sep 15 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,381

Hey all, I decided to get the SDA because of the rave reviews from everywhere. After about a week or so, I started having an issue which buge me soooo much...

1. First off, why does the SDA have the mouthpiece on the bottom of the phone (right above the earpiece slot)? Typically, phones have the mouth piece under the number pad so when the user is holding the phone to his head they can talk, but SDA has the mouth piece on the bottom of the phone. This causes issues when I am on the phone, the other person complains that they can't hear me, or the voice is spotty. I have had MANY ppl tell me this. I have to yell into the phone so the other person can hear me. Obviously this is an issue cause I can't speak really loud all the time. If anyone has had this issue how did you fix this (using the ear piece does not work...that makes it even worse)?

See this image of the SDA, and see how right above the earpiece slot is the mouth piece? And, what is that holw under the numberpad? It serves no purpose whatsoever...

(in case the image doesn't load: SDA image)

PS- I live in NYC, so I know T-Mobile reception is not the issue. I have been with T-Mobile ofr 3 years, and my old phone did not have this issue. And, most of my friends are on TMobile also (or verizon).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 15 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

The only thing I can think of it maybe some dirt or something got stuck in the mic hole. I'd take a pin or something and gently try cleaning it out. With the technology available today having the mic hole on the bottom or the side doesn't really make much of a difference. In fact most phones I've had do have it on the bottom. All the Treos do. So I don't think that is the issue. The little hole below the numberpad is the light sensor (I think) that tells the keypad whether to light up or not depending on the light around it.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 15 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Yes the little thing right below the keypad is the light sensor and serves a great purpose. I loved that they added that to phones. Heh, even some programs will feed off of that, i.e. Mapopolis will automatically switch to night profile (easier on the eyes in the dark), if the light sensor is needed to light up the keys. I thought that was a slick implimentation of existing hardware on the phone.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 15 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

OK, you've already been informed the hole centered under the keypad serves a great purpose!

Regarding your other issue, I'm in agreement with Smeg. Either something is clogging the mic hole - or, maybe you got a bum phone. My phone is a twin to yours and the mic hole is in the exact same place but it is adequately sensitive (quite so IMHO).

When my phone was new to me and I didn't have it figured out yet how to use the BT headset with it, I made the mistake of answering an incoming call using the green call button on the phone. I did this while my phone was at arms length away from my face. And, though I could not hear my caller, they could hear me. Actually, I eventually did hear my caller's tiny little voice yelling at me through the phone telling me they could hear me! I finally figured out that if you answer the call on your phone...you answer the call on your phone EVEN IF you have your BT earpiece on. rolleyes.gif My point is, the phone was nowhere near my mouth and my callers could hear me.

Have you tried using the voice notes app and recording your voice at different distances from your phone? For example, the first recording would be with the phone held to your ear like you're placing a call. Then try a recording with the phone on a table top in front of you like you're using the speakerphone. And lastly, maybe about 3 feet away like it might be if you had several people around a desk for a conference call.

I just did those three recordings on my phone and all are usable. The last one is pushing it...but, it's still usable. I spoke at a normal loudness for all three. From my little test just now, I now know I would have to speak quite a bit louder if it were at "conference call" distance. I just made one more recording at that distance and spoke louder...it worked great!

I'm assuming that since my phone "records" my voice fine that it translates the mic is working as it should and a person on the other end of a call would hear me the same as how my recordings sound. I hope that's a safe assumption.

Try it and see if you're phone has the same problem with recording as it does with calls. Or, is it just during calls the mic seems to not work right? I'd also have someone else use my phone and call me so I could hear what they sound like just so I could hear it with my own ears. Or, when I get a new headset I call my house and let the answer machine pick up then I leave a message. That way I KNOW for certain what it sounds like to people on the other end of a phone call talking to me. I originally tried asking other people how it sounded and realized it's all so subjective and that I need to hear it with my own ears and decide for myself how it sounds.

OH...one more thing...I just re-read your post and you say that using an earpiece makes things even worse. This really leads me to believe there is something wrong with your particular phone. Using the wired headset that came with my phone, or either of two different BT headsets that I use...the sound is terrific on mine. It is VERY LOUD.

Without a headset plugged into your phone, what profile does your phone say it's using? If it says "headset" even though you do NOT have a headset plugged in - there's a problem with the headset jack hole. I've read fixes that suggested using canned air to blow the hole out and/or quickly inserting and pulling the headset plug in and out several times to dislodge any foreign matter that might be stuck in there. At any rate, the profile should be "normal" if you're not using a wired or BT headset at the moment.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
The First
post Sep 16 2006, 01:59 AM
Post #5

Hey all, thanks for the help.

Well, when i first got the phone I had to setup my VM and I recored my message. I had to re-record my message three times because each time the message was staticy or some words weren't audible.

This how I got about having the phone...maybe that can help solve this dilemma...
My old phone (samsun E105) died on me, and I had to get a new phone. I live in NYC but was in Houston, TX when I got the phone. To get a better deal, I got a new contract (and a new number) in Houston. Now, I am back in NYC and have voice issues. The problem appears when I talk to my GF or my clients, especially when I speak in a low voice. When I talk to my GF late at night I whipser and she can never hear me. Even with a lower voice tone she (and some clients) could barely hear me. Could the issue be that I got the phone in Houston but use it NYC cause I live here?

I will try the suggestion on cleaning the voice mic with a needle (very carefully and slowly)

Any other ideas (in case that doesn't work?) Chances are I will get a new phone, but I don't want the same issue on that one also.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 16 2006, 02:38 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

This isn't a common issue by any means. If you can't easily fix it I'd call up T-Mobile or go to a T-Mobile store and get it replaced. That's one of the nice things of being under a contract with an official phone. If it breaks, they'll give you a new one. Having a Houston phone in NYC shouldn't make any difference at all.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
The First
post Sep 16 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #7

Hey, so I took a pin and GENTLY cleaned the mic hole, but I see no difference. I am going to get a new SDA and hope that one is better.

Q: Since I got the phone in Houston, can I go into any T-Mobile store in NYC and have a replacement phone? Or, do I need to call TMobile and have them mail me a new one?

BTW, at the image below what is the holes on the right and left mean? The left always blinks, but the rght one doesn't do anything. I believe the middle one is the earpiece, am i right?

(in case the image does not load: top image of SDA

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 16 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Yes you should be able to exchange it at any T-Mobile Coorporate store (i.e. not kiosk, but a real T-Mobile store, not autorized dealer). I just exchanged my Cingular 3125 in store, that I purchased on the internet.

Those "holes" are your status LED's. The one on the right that flashes (green I assume) is your Service/Signal light, it will flash green when you have service in your home network (not roaming). No flashes means no service. The one on the left prob serves as your Bluetooth and or Wifi indicator meaning that if BT or WiFi is on, then it will flash as well. I may be wrong about which is which, but that is what they are, simply status lights.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
The First
post Sep 17 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #9

Kool, thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:12 AM