post Dec 21 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,194
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
PMC: Creative Zen

Ok...so I just got this SP5, so far, I'm really impressed with the reception. I had an unlocked MPx220 on Cingular, and in areas where I had barely a signal, I now have 4 bars and crystal clear sound with the SP5...fantastic!!

But the purpose of this post is whether this phone is locked by the manufactuer or are there security layers in Windows Mobile 5.0 that preventing certain modifications or programs from running? Here's why...

When using Tweaks2K2.net version 1.70, when you select a hack, such as animate menus, the Tweaks2K2 software pops up a screen saying the "Device is locked, contact your provider...it's your right" The Tweaks2K2 writer responded with this:

1-There are at least 3 security levels in a phone. My programs check for what is called "Application lock" no about "SIM Lock". If my program says that the phone is locked that means that my program could not gain access to all keys in your registry. That means that some tricks wont be applied for that reason.
2-Tweaks2k2 is not designed for QVGA phones... I'll work in a verion for QVGA phone that should be released early next year.

Same thing happened with a small little program (TinyGPS) that has never worked for me, but I figured, what the ^*&&...it also popped up a page saying the phone was locked and to contact the GSM Provider.

So I contacted the I-Mate online tech support people (which as a side note, I haven't been too impressed with...esp when paying what I paid for this phone...but that's another issue) and I-Mate Tech support said their phone was not "Locked" that it was a WM 5.0 issue.

So that's you come in...can someone out there, that is smarter than me please tell me what is going on with my I-Mate SP5 that I bought online and am using on the Cingular Network?

And by the way...for those who are wondering...it is a really cool phone!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 21 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

First off, lucky! I wish I had a SP5. Secondly, I can't say for certain because I don't have a SP5, but it is probably an issue with WM5. The only thing you can really do is wait for the program developer to create a WM5 compatable version of the program. It is probably giving you that error because the program doesn't recognize the differences of WM5, so it thinks the cause of the problem is an application lock. I remember on the Pocket PC there were a few programs that wouldn't work with WM2003 when it came out, and we had to wait for the developers to release a compatable version.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
nickMANDERFIELD
post Dec 23 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,802
Phone: HTC Typhoon
Carrier: Other
MP3 Player: iPod Video
PMC: iRiver PMC-120

http://www.spv-developers.com/forum/showth...p=5000#post5000

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Dec 24 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

I also have the method to app and SIM unlock this device in my blog (2125 post)

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
enichols@nichols...
post Dec 26 2005, 04:17 AM
Post #5

Ok...first for Omega2008...the Reg Editor you listed, when I try to copy and paste using ActiveSync 4.1, I get an error message on my PC that I don't have permission to copy file to the smart phone. Any ideas?

Second, I was able to install the Registry Editor from Resco, but when I change the values for 1001 and 1005 to 1 and 40 respectively, the values don't change. Its as if the whole registry is locked from modification. Now, the registry editor I'm using is for the previous Windows Mobile software, so I recognize that may be the problem, but still, any registry value changed, is not saved.

another side note for anyone else with an SP5, it comes preloaded with eTrust Antivirus. For some reason, my will not update the virus software. It downloads correctly, but never updates the file.

Also...from using this phone, put phone in flight mode and then active the WiFi...with a fast DSL connection, the browser is super fast.

Another headache...there are some folders on my MiniSD card that just will not delete, even with changing the permissions and options that are available to try and force a deletion.

+Quote Post
enichols@nichols...
post Dec 26 2005, 05:30 AM
Post #6

Ok...after saving the actual zip file to the phone and unzipping it from there, I was able to get the Registry editor installed and the 1001 and 1005 values changed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:58 AM