IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> any MDA user: Q regarding Camera, On night setting, do you get "stars"?
runningtiger
post Jan 11 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

When I take a photo in a dark situation using the "night" setting the image ends up with little dots all over the place. I've tested this side by side by side with an i-mate SP5m (basically the same as the T-mo SDA) and a Cingular 3125. All three are HTC devices with 1.3 cameras and I'm using the "night" mode setting (that's the critical part since it doesn't happen in the other preset modes).

The MDA is the only one that ends up with the "stars". Is this an MDA thing or does the camera in my MDA have a problem? I tested by putting my finger over the lens and taking a picture (on night setting). That's the image that is completely black except for all the little dots. Can someone(s) do the same test and let me know what you get?

*disclaimer regarding the photos...they were done very quickly. I just hand held the "camera" and so they are on the blurry side. I've taken night photos with my i-mate while resting it on a stable surface and it turns out MUCH better. But, at least you can get the picture in regards to what my problem is.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here are the same images captured on my i-mate.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 18 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

62 reads, but no help? sad.gif Anyway...

The answer is it's not just my MDA but a documented problem...with a fix! To GREATLY reduce the stars (or, blue snow) you need to get your hands on a cab file named "Signed_CameraPatch_OV9650.sa.CAB" available here over at xda-developers. I suggest reading the whole thread, but since it's 18 pages long, I know most won't. There are a couple other things discussed in there, so it's worth the read IMHO (if you're having this problem that is).

Same camera, same setting...much different results.

Attached Image

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:12 AM