> Favorite Software
no1herd
post Feb 11 2007, 09:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,018
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: Alltel

I am new to the BlackJack I just got mine last week. So far I love it I had a mpx200 before. I want to know what is some of the favorite/best software I can look into installing I use it for business and entertainment. Thanks in advance for your help.

I've been a long time viewer first time poster.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 13 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I don't have a BlackJack, so I don't know specifically if there are better options, but for entertainment (music and video) I like TCPMP. It's free and works better than the built in media player (IMHO) because it plays more file types and I like how it handles playlists etc.

I added a free program called "Convert It" for all the basic math conversions (mm to inches etc.) and Orneta Calculator for a better basic calculator than the built in one. It allows you to see multiple entries in sort of a "tape" fashion so it's very easy to tell if you've entered the digits correctly. That was also free.

I wouldn't want to be without those three programs in my work-a-day routine (and a little play wink.gif ).

I also find Google Maps very useful (there is a java midlet version & a CAB file version that vary slightly, check them both out to find which one serves you best - if you don't have a GPS receiver than I'd go with the java midlet myself) as well as AvantGo for pre-downloading news stories etc. and having them ready to read wherever I am without needing a data connection right then & there (since they're already on my phone (I sync each morning to get all the updates for my chosen content)).

Sprite Backup is invaluable if you're going to be trying out anything other than what comes built into your phone. Invariably something will mess up and you'll have to start all over with every modification you've done to your phone since you took it out of the box. Sprite makes this a simple less than 5 minute process that I am so glad I have each time something gets mucked up.

I also use wm5torage quite a bit (that's a "five", not an "S"). It allows you (if you have a standard mini-USB connector available (if that's what your BlackJack uses) to transfer files to and from the storage card in your phone and ANY computer without needing ActiveSync installed on the PC. This way I can use the storage card in my phone as a 'pen drive'-'thumb drive'-'flash drive' WHATEVER you call it. I take files back and forth all the time this way and wouldn't want to be without it.

Last, but CERTAINLY not least, is one of the few programs I've paid for. It's called X-bar3. It's a great little utility that is a task manager, launcher, and a few other nice things bundled into one very useful interface.

It easily opens with a long press of the "action" key (center of your directional pad) and will show you all the programs currently running and with a quick key press you can close whatever you don't need. It's customizable to add whatever shortcuts you want to it's launcher so you don't always have to return to the start menu to open the programs you use most. It adds copy, cut, and paste functions as well as a few others. Plus, from any screen you, have access to the time and date (plus battery, RAM, and temp info). Love it!

There are lots of programs that help you change your homescreen depending on your business needs. I don't use any myself, so I can't make any recommendations.

Have fun!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:59 AM