post Aug 30 2006, 01:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,108
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC

New 220 update.
Just got my new mpx220 and used it over the weekend. It’s an awesome, awesome phone.
Guess what? I did not get any signals at work using my t-mobile Sims card but I borrowed some ones
Cingular’s Sims and BINGO I get full Bars with no problems. I have to confess I work surrounded by lead walls at the Hospital and I hear Cingular has a tower on our roof (big help).But no signal with my mpx200.
I like that the battery seems to last longer on the 220 but could be better; the programs settings are basically the same as the mpx200 very easy.
I like the speaker phone quality and the mute feature more on the 200.On the 220 you have to menu, scroll than Action key during your conversation. (Don’t try that while driving)On the 200 only click the Sent key.
You would think they would keep their logo theme song Hello Motto. I use it as an alarm to wake up in the morning. I had to down load it on line. And also I can’t find back to basic also a ring tone on the200.I used it to notify I have a new message. If any one can post it would be nice. I am not to “techi’ I only know how to copy paste so type slowly.
There is only one more problem. When I do a back up with sprite the party that I speak to on the other end can not hear me if I do a soft reset them everything is fine.
Over all I think the extras benefits and features over come some minor inconveniences.
It great to have more memory, faster phone, excellent signal, camera & video, the availability to go on the web, (Could not on the 200 but at one time I did.) the Bluetooth and other stuff I haven’t I clue about.
If there are stuff out their to make the 220 perform even better please let me know.
Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
surrealnetworks
post Aug 30 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,381

QUOTE (Mannydoall @ Aug 29 2006, 07:26 PM) *
...... using my t-mobile Sims card

lol @ "Sims" card

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 30 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Well, biggest problem solved in that you're now getting a stronger signal. Make sure your settings\beam is not checked to "receive incoming beams". If that is checked, it is a HUGE drain on the battery. You probably already know that from your 200, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to check the basics. The speaker is just better on the 200, nothing to do about that except live with it. Now with your new phone having BlueTooth, you may find this not to be much of an issue. Once I started using a BT headset I pretty much have ditched speakerphone. It just depends on how and why you're using it now.

Regarding the mute function, the 220 is a victim of it's operating system. You'll be glad to know that when you upgrade to your next device, if it's running wm5, Microsoft has gone back to putting "mute" on the left soft key so you don't have to go through the menu to get there. On the 220, that key says "hold". Have you tried using that in place of "mute"? I just tried it on my 220 and it kills the sound coming through the earpiece. It's late here so I can't try it with a live person on the other end to know for sure if it kills the microphone so the person on the other end can't hear you (in other words, mute), but it seems like it might. I think "hold" is officially supposed to be used for creating a conference call, or something like that. Anyway, I'd give it a test and see if it'll work to replace the hard to get to "mute". <fingers crossed> AT THE VERY LEAST, if the "hold" thing doesn't work for ya, and "mute" is something you use a lot, notice that when you are in a call and press the right soft key labled "menu" at that point you only need to press the "3" key to achieve "mute". You do not have to scroll and then action key. That might make "mute"-ing just a tad easier while you're driving.

"HelloMoto" is on both my 200 and 220. It's called "HelloMoto (wav) on the 200 and "Moto" (mp3) on the 220. Sorry, but I don't have a "back to basic" ring tone on my 200 so I can't post it for you. Interesting that we seem to have different sounds on both our phones. But, if you have it on your 200, why don't you:

1) get hooked up with your computer via active sync (I'm referring to your 200 here)
2) "explore" your phone using active sync and browse to \storage\application data\sounds and then
3) copy the "back to basic" ring tone
4) then, back on your computer, paste it somewhere (your desktop perhaps)

5) now, switch phones so that the 220 is now hooked up to your computer via active sync
6) go to your desktop and "copy" the "back to basic" ring tone file
7) "explore" the 220 and browse to \storage\application data\sounds and paste the ring tone onto your phone

8) now, go to settings\sounds\ and whatever sound category you want to use it for and select it
9) press done twice and get back to your desktop and give it a try

At this point, you should still have a copy of the ringtone on your desktop. Cut & paste it to wherever it makes sense for you to keep it. If you EVER have to do a hard reset on your phone, you'll lose the "back to basic" ringtone you just stored on the phone. So, you'll need to replace it on the phone. You should also keep a copy of the "hello moto" on your computer for the same reason. If the ROM you are using does not have these sound files, when you hard reset, they will be missing once again.

Can't help you with the Sprite issue. Sounds to me like after you back-up, you'll need to soft reset. Doesn't seem like too much of a hassle. But, if that's not how it's supposed to be, hopefully someone else will give you some help here.

My 200 surfs the web on T-Mo and Cingular without issue. It sounds like your 200 is just not quite right for some reason. Regarding BlueTooth, I have seriously enjoyed having a wireless headset. That ALONE made the upgrade from 200 to 220 worth it to ME! Not sure what "the other stuff" is that you don't have a clue about, but post more specifically and we'll try to help ya get a clue!

As far as making your 220 perform better...I don't know what ROM you're using, but mine did MUCH better using Asian 3.45. There are others around here who swear by other ROMs. But, if you're not having a specific issue with the phone, it's probably best to leave well enough alone since flashing the ROM isn't for the timid. With the ROM that came on my 220 it would re-seek a tower two minutes after booting. Once it found the new tower, I could no longer make a GPRS connection. So, I dove into the deep end and gave ROM flashing a try. It was scarey when it didn't go perfect but, it turned out well. I've been curious about other ROMs but not enough to give it another go. But, we all have to get our feet wet sometime, and if you want to do it, there is lots of posts to help you along. However, remember, it could all go horribly wrong. laugh.gif You could end up with a brick if you're not careful or, if the phone (or your computer, or the connection between the two) misbehaves (the last one is the problem I had). ohmy.gif Smeg saved me, for which I am forever grateful!

Outside of ROMs, the best thing I did on my phone was change the memory setting so it could multi-task. Without the change, my 220 kept closing programs I was still using if they were no longer the focus. When I came back to them, they were closed. This was most noticable when I was listening to music (using TCPMP (also a very worthwhile improvement to the stock ROM which has Windows Media Player built in). So, the music is playing and I go to read an email or something and the music program shuts down in 10 seconds. I don't think this is an issue if you're using wmPlayer. If you like that player, then never mind about TCPMP and then maybe you won't need this fix either. But, if you do, it involves editing the registry - which, again, can go bad if you are not careful. Know yourself and know if you are precise enough to give it a go. If you are the least bit concerned...don't do it, 'cuz once again, you could end up with a brick. Consider yourself warned. Here's the edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem

Change the value to 96

exit the reg edit program (MobileRegistryEditor for example) and soft reset your phone for the new setting to take effect.

Once you've done a reg edit, it isn't so intimidating. Just remember to only do one at a time and re-start the phone each time. Check the following recent thread for more reg edits:
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...amp;#entry54379

OK...whew, that's it! laugh.gif laugh.gif <<Helloo?? (taps on glass) Anybody still there?>>

Good luck!!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Mannydoall
post Aug 31 2006, 07:29 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Aug 30 2006, 05:56 AM) *
Well, biggest problem solved in that you're now getting a stronger signal. Make sure your settings\beam is not checked to "receive incoming beams". If that is checked, it is a HUGE drain on the battery. You probably already know that from your 200, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to check the basics. The speaker is just better on the 200, nothing to do about that except live with it. Now with your new phone having BlueTooth, you may find this not to be much of an issue. Once I started using a BT headset I pretty much have ditched speakerphone. It just depends on how and why you're using it now.

Regarding the mute function, the 220 is a victim of it's operating system. You'll be glad to know that when you upgrade to your next device, if it's running wm5, Microsoft has gone back to putting "mute" on the left soft key so you don't have to go through the menu to get there. On the 220, that key says "hold". Have you tried using that in place of "mute"? I just tried it on my 220 and it kills the sound coming through the earpiece. It's late here so I can't try it with a live person on the other end to know for sure if it kills the microphone so the person on the other end can't hear you (in other words, mute), but it seems like it might. I think "hold" is officially supposed to be used for creating a conference call, or something like that. Anyway, I'd give it a test and see if it'll work to replace the hard to get to "mute". <fingers crossed> AT THE VERY LEAST, if the "hold" thing doesn't work for ya, and "mute" is something you use a lot, notice that when you are in a call and press the right soft key labled "menu" at that point you only need to press the "3" key to achieve "mute". You do not have to scroll and then action key. That might make "mute"-ing just a tad easier while you're driving.

"HelloMoto" is on both my 200 and 220. It's called "HelloMoto (wav) on the 200 and "Moto" (mp3) on the 220. Sorry, but I don't have a "back to basic" ring tone on my 200 so I can't post it for you. Interesting that we seem to have different sounds on both our phones. But, if you have it on your 200, why don't you:

1) get hooked up with your computer via active sync (I'm referring to your 200 here)
2) "explore" your phone using active sync and browse to \storage\application data\sounds and then
3) copy the "back to basic" ring tone
4) then, back on your computer, paste it somewhere (your desktop perhaps)

5) now, switch phones so that the 220 is now hooked up to your computer via active sync
6) go to your desktop and "copy" the "back to basic" ring tone file
7) "explore" the 220 and browse to \storage\application data\sounds and paste the ring tone onto your phone

8) now, go to settings\sounds\ and whatever sound category you want to use it for and select it
9) press done twice and get back to your desktop and give it a try

At this point, you should still have a copy of the ringtone on your desktop. Cut & paste it to wherever it makes sense for you to keep it. If you EVER have to do a hard reset on your phone, you'll lose the "back to basic" ringtone you just stored on the phone. So, you'll need to replace it on the phone. You should also keep a copy of the "hello moto" on your computer for the same reason. If the ROM you are using does not have these sound files, when you hard reset, they will be missing once again.

Can't help you with the Sprite issue. Sounds to me like after you back-up, you'll need to soft reset. Doesn't seem like too much of a hassle. But, if that's not how it's supposed to be, hopefully someone else will give you some help here.

My 200 surfs the web on T-Mo and Cingular without issue. It sounds like your 200 is just not quite right for some reason. Regarding BlueTooth, I have seriously enjoyed having a wireless headset. That ALONE made the upgrade from 200 to 220 worth it to ME! Not sure what "the other stuff" is that you don't have a clue about, but post more specifically and we'll try to help ya get a clue!

As far as making your 220 perform better...I don't know what ROM you're using, but mine did MUCH better using Asian 3.45. There are others around here who swear by other ROMs. But, if you're not having a specific issue with the phone, it's probably best to leave well enough alone since flashing the ROM isn't for the timid. With the ROM that came on my 220 it would re-seek a tower two minutes after booting. Once it found the new tower, I could no longer make a GPRS connection. So, I dove into the deep end and gave ROM flashing a try. It was scarey when it didn't go perfect but, it turned out well. I've been curious about other ROMs but not enough to give it another go. But, we all have to get our feet wet sometime, and if you want to do it, there is lots of posts to help you along. However, remember, it could all go horribly wrong. laugh.gif You could end up with a brick if you're not careful or, if the phone (or your computer, or the connection between the two) misbehaves (the last one is the problem I had). ohmy.gif Smeg saved me, for which I am forever grateful!

Outside of ROMs, the best thing I did on my phone was change the memory setting so it could multi-task. Without the change, my 220 kept closing programs I was still using if they were no longer the focus. When I came back to them, they were closed. This was most noticable when I was listening to music (using TCPMP (also a very worthwhile improvement to the stock ROM which has Windows Media Player built in). So, the music is playing and I go to read an email or something and the music program shuts down in 10 seconds. I don't think this is an issue if you're using wmPlayer. If you like that player, then never mind about TCPMP and then maybe you won't need this fix either. But, if you do, it involves editing the registry - which, again, can go bad if you are not careful. Know yourself and know if you are precise enough to give it a go. If you are the least bit concerned...don't do it, 'cuz once again, you could end up with a brick. Consider yourself warned. Here's the edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem

Change the value to 96

exit the reg edit program (MobileRegistryEditor for example) and soft reset your phone for the new setting to take effect.

Once you've done a reg edit, it isn't so intimidating. Just remember to only do one at a time and re-start the phone each time. Check the following recent thread for more reg edits:
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...amp;#entry54379

OK...whew, that's it! laugh.gif laugh.gif <<Helloo?? (taps on glass) Anybody still there?>>

Good luck!!

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 31 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I think you forgot something. laugh.gif You quoted my huge post but didn't say anything new. wink.gif

Anyway...just wanted to suggest that if you are responding to the post directly above you, no need to quote the whole thing...unless it helps to clarify something, then by all means. Otherwise, the conversation will just flow down the page, no need to quote the entire post. Unless you just really want to. Then go ahead. rolleyes.gif

Glad to read from your other post that this thread was of use to you.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Mannydoall
post Sep 1 2006, 06:37 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Aug 31 2006, 04:12 AM) *
I think you forgot something. laugh.gif You quoted my huge post but didn't say anything new. wink.gif

Anyway...just wanted to suggest that if you are responding to the post directly above you, no need to quote the whole thing...unless it helps to clarify something, then by all means. Otherwise, the conversation will just flow down the page, no need to quote the entire post. Unless you just really want to. Then go ahead. rolleyes.gif

Glad to read from your other post that this thread was of use to you.

Sorry for the typo error I guess I was too sleepy.
Anyway I did find my ring tone name (new tune 3.mid) in the mpx200.When it transfers to the 220 the name changed to (bach to basic) in my sound setting. I went ahead and transfer all my old ring tones over
to the 220 because only a few were actually working. Most sounded like static. This also fixed my City
Time Alarms program Hello Moto which kept switching to a default tune every time I turn off the power.
For some reason the bach to basic sound quality in the 220 is poor and lower volume. I can live with it but I will try to pass it over again just in case.
In regards to the mpx200 beam, I do not have that setting any where on the 200 phone. Even though I have two Mpx200 phones.So I guess they did not come with the beam setting.
Thank you for your valuable info. Please keep it up.

This post has been edited by Mannydoall: Sep 1 2006, 06:46 AM

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 1 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Glad you found the ring tone you were looking for. I don't understand why the 200's tones transferred to your 220 would sound good and the original 220's sound like static. That indicates the speaker is fine on your 220, but the sound files themselves are at fault. For the record, the tones that came with my 220s ROM (Asian 3.45) sound just fine - as do all the ones I've added.

Usually when something (like a sound) disappears when you power down and then back up, it's 'cuz the OS checks to make sure certain things haven't been deleted that are part of the OS. If they have been changed, the OS will automatically restore them. But, now, just by changing the sound to this particular one, it works for you...interesting.

Your guess that 200s did not come with the beam setting is in fact a wrong guess. Were some 200s made with infrared and others without? Doubtful, but I can't say for sure. That just seems strange though. Do either/neither/both of your 200s have the dark red infrared window just below the power button? Are both your 200s still using the 2002 OS? Mine is using 2003 and I'm wondering if that might be the difference? But, if it exists in the hardware (dark red window below the power button), I can't imagine the 2002 OS wouldn't have the setting to go along with it. I'm at a loss here but have never used a device with 2002 on it, so I can't speak from any first hand experience.

I just double checked my 200, and to get to the "beam" setting I first go to "settings" and then the 7th item on the menu is "Beam". When I choose it I'm at the screen where you can check & un-check to receive incoming beams. I also just tested both transmitting a beam and receiving a beam. My 200 did both without issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mannydoall
post Sep 2 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Sep 1 2006, 04:31 AM) *
Your guess that 200s did not come with the beam setting is in fact a wrong guess. Were some 200s made with infrared and others without? Doubtful, but I can't say for sure. That just seems strange though. Do either/neither/both of your 200s have the dark red infrared window just below the power button? Are both your 200s still using the 2002 OS? Mine is using 2003 and I'm wondering if that might be the difference? But, if it exists in the hardware (dark red window below the power button), I can't imagine the 2002 OS wouldn't have the setting to go along with it. I'm at a loss here but have never used a device with 2002 on it, so I can't speak from any first hand experience.

I just double checked my 200, and to get to the "beam" setting I first go to "settings" and then the 7th item
on the menu is "Beam". When I choose it I'm at the screen where you can check & un-check to receive incoming beams. I also just tested both transmitting a beam and receiving a beam. My 200 did both without issue.

Both of my mpx200 have the dark red infrared window under the power button,
And under accessories I have infrared receive data / (looking for sending device s.)
According to my “about screen” I have a 2002, version 3.0 (build 13258).
ROM updated versions:
But again I don’t have" beams" settings on the 200.
Can you explain beams.Why and when I would use it on my 220?
I know with the infrared I can sync to my laptop computer.What's the differnces?
Thanks.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 2 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I can't help at all in regards to the 2002 OS. Sorry. I just checked the accessories folder on my 200 (running wm2003) and it doesn't have the "infrared receive data" that you describe, so again, can't help ya there.

However, wasn't what brought this "beams" stuff up your concern about battery strength on your 220? Have you gone where I've directed you to on your 220 and verified the beam is indeed off?

Beams on your 220 are of the infrared type and the BlueTooth type. A big use of them you already mentioned - syncing without being cabled up to your computer. They can also be used to transmit info from your phone to another's phone. For instance, you have a contact in your phone that your co-worker needs. Rather than sit there and peck out all the info on to the other person's phone, you can just "beam" it over to them. You can do the same with regular files and media that are on your phone and you want to move to another. Basically, it just keeps you from having to have ActiveSync setup on every computer (or phone) that you want to exchange files with or, having to remove your storage card and transfer the files that way.

The end result is the same no matter which beam you use (infrared or BT) - information is moved from one device to another. Obviously, BT has other functions it performs (communicating with headsets, printers, etc.) The only requirement is that the other device must have the same ability as your phone. Meaning, it must have infrared or BT built in or added on via dongle.

I was NEVER successful getting my laptop and phone to communicate via infrared. And, my first attempt via BT dongle failed. Finally, I bought a different BT dongle (that used a different BT stack), and it worked right off and I've been syncing via BT ever since.

Beaming is popular with the same set that likes to download music and ringtones etc. For example, at a party they'll leave their phones open to receive beams and they do all sorts of "communicating" that way. Obviously, infrared has to be within a very short distance (inches) to "see" each other whereas BT just has to be within 30-ish feet (that's one standard...there are other standards that cast even a wider net).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mannydoall
post Sep 2 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #10

However, wasn't what brought this "beams" stuff up your concern about battery strength on your 220? Have you gone where I've directed you to on your 220 and verified the beam is indeed off?
[/quote]
Cool stuff this infrared / beams .Didn‘t know its application
Yes my 220 came with the beams uncheck so I left it alone as you recommended.

+Quote Post
Nidza
post Sep 4 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #11

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 8,504
Phone: MPx220

I've noticed no actual difference in battery life whether BT or IR (or both) are on or off. There's only big difference if the phone is acutally paired with a PC or other phone. It occures often that a phone stayes in sync mode with PC for whole day, and it drains battery for sure, maybe twice or more faster then usual use.

On MPx200 the difference (WM2003) was huge. IR could drain a battery in matter of hours - just some big issue regarding that half-finished WM2003.

+Quote Post
Mannydoall
post Sep 23 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #12

[quote name='runningtiger' date='Aug 30 2006, 05:56 AM' post='54538'

[/quote]

I have rom 1.28 and I been curious about the latest updated rom version offered at motorola software update tool. IT seem easy to install. How would I go back to the old one if I dont like it or something goes wrong.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 28 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

My phone originally had 1.28 on it like yours. I never found that ROM so I don't know how you could 'go back'. I just finally decided that if the one I wanted didn't work out, I'd keep trying the others that are available until I found one I liked. I felt good about the Asian ROM that I chose since it seemed most the moderators on this board had it on their phones. But, it was unsettling knowing I couldn't undo what I was about to do. IF the ROM was available, you'd just flash it onto your phone and you'd be back in business like nothing ever happened. Maybe you'll have better luck finding the 1.28 then I did.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:21 PM