Post #1

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

Eclipse: First Wave by Alien Invention

As SmartPhones become more widespread better applications and games are beginning to surface. This is one of them. Eclipse: First Wave is a side scrolling space shooter that ranks among the best of what the SmartPhone platform has to offer currently in terms of graphics quality and gameplay. Here is what the company has to say about the game:

Eclipse: First Wave
a game for Microsoft ® Smartphone

Eclipse: First Wave is the the first in a series of three high octane shoot-em-up's, inspired by years of classic arcade shooter action, and now updated to use the strengths of the Microsoft® platform to bring the most stunning Smartphone game to date.

Pilot one of two different ships through wave after wave of enemies, across 7 varied levels through space and across landscapes.

Features
Microsoft Smartphone® 2002 and Windows Mobile® 2003 compatible
7 Levels of fast arcade action
2 Different ship types
Upgradable Weapons (cannon, bomb, shield, speed)
Over 40 different animated enemy types
Particles, Weather and other special FX
16bit graphics
Full stereo music, sound effects and speech
Rumble Mode

NEW VERSION 1.3x

Available to purchase, currently exclusively to MoDaCo at a low price of £6.99, is a brand new version of Eclipse called Eclipse: First Wave Directors Cut.

This new version includes:

New Graphics Engine made by Alien Invention (now works perfectly on C500/SP3i/SDA etc., even without hte GAPI fix, and improved performance on all devices)
Backlight fix, backlight now stays on while in the game.
Various graphical changes to improve visibility on some levels.
2 Bosses changed to improve playability and speed.
Enemy paths changed on all levels to improve playability (the game is now considerably easier)
Many other smaller bugs fixed.
Cheat Modes (see if you can find them ;))

For C500 users:

It is recommended to redefine your keys, and also set Autofire to On.

Example Key Define:

1 = Left
2 = Right
3 = Up
6 = Down

One note before I continue. I had a really hard time getting screenshots from the game, so I am forced to link to the images on Alien Invention's website to show you the two screenshots they offer. And the quality of their screenshots does not do the game justice. The game looks MUCH better.

When you start up the game you get a couple of screens about the game and the sound system. A screen about the sound system? Why? Because the sound is good. That's why. But the game has an added feature to make you feel more like a part of the game: vibration. As your ship is blown to bits the handset virates! It's like a force feedback joystick! Very cool.

You start out with a mission briefing. It seems Earth has a terraformed settlement on another planet that has been wiped out by an alien enemy. You are to lead a team to a research station to find out about the enemy and find a way to defeat them.

Your ship is on the left and the enemy comes from the right. You begin the mission in an asteroid field. Talk about a challenge! Killing certain enemies will give you power-ups like shields and multi-fire capabilities.

Not only do you have to ccontend with wave after wave of enemy invaders but also the typical space debris like asteroids and big asteroids (near planet size!) that break up when shot into smaller asteroids. You can move the ship up, down, left and right to avoid objects or to position yourself for the best shots. And the automatic shooting option helps out a lot!

The game is pretty tough. I have played it for a couple of hours and I still don't get very far before I hear explosions and my handset vibrates. But I will keep trying. Because if I don't EARTH IS DOOMED!

Pros:
Vibrant quality graphics
Excellent sound
Force Feedback like vibration

Cons:
Side scrolling seems a little slow
Ship control could be more responsive (faster)
No control over game speed or responsiveness
Cost. Seems a little high compared to other Smartphone platform games ($12.99)

This game can give you hours of enjoyment or frustration. It really depends on how good you are ;-)

EDIT: "Muff" from Alien Invention contacted me and made this correction to my review:

...just wanted to point out something on the speed of the ship - there are speed ups to pick up to make your ship move faster if you wish ;)

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:16 PM