post Jan 22 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I'm used to using a SmartPhone and am currently experimenting with a PPC device. I've been having a problem that might be a deal breaker.

I listen to music via my BT headset frequently. On my SmartPhone I can listen for hours at a time without issue. The problem I've been having with the PPC is the BT shuts off by itself sometimes.

Since I've also been experimenting with using wmPlayer instead of TCPMP (like I always have used on my SmartPhones) I'm not sure what is causing this problem. Not to mention a whole host of other possibilities since the PPC is loaded with many different programs than my SmartPhone (potential conflicts abound).

Today I've set the default player back to TCPMP and will give it a go to see if the problem continues or resolves itself.

Anyone else have this problem of BT just shutting off? It hasn't lost it's pairing with my headset. I've checked and in the Comm Manager it says BT is "x" (off). I can turn it back on and start listening again...sometimes. Sometimes it takes a reset.

It's a pain in the you-know-what!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 22 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

hmm, just noticed something wierd...I'm sitting here listening to music on my BT headset (via TCPMP) and went to the Comm Manager to use ActiveSync (via BT) and the BT button shows the "x" (supposedly meaning it's "off") which is clearly isn't!!! I'm listening to music as I type! How can that be? I clicked on BT settings and the "turn on Bluetooth" box is not checked. Again, meaning it's off...but, it isn't.

I just tried to connect ActiveSync and nothing happened. I needed to reset to get back to "normal".

I wonder if the problem is really in the Comm Manager? I upgraded my MDA to T-Mo's current ROM (when I was trying to fix the camera problem I posted about a few days ago) and the new ROM (2.26) upgrades the Comm Manager. I don't know if I was having this problem before, so can't pin the blame necessarily. Just thinking out loud...

Or, is this an issue like how TCPMP can recover a drop when streaming music better than wmPlayer can? Maybe if there's a hiccup in the BT feed, TCPMP is able to deal with it whereas the built in player doesn't. (?) Ugh. I don't know.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 22 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I have noticed the PPC BT is generally more unstable than the Smartphone BT. The Treo specifically had a major problem with turning off the BT on it's own, and I never did find a good solution for it other than turning it back on.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 22 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Nope. It drops out using TCPMP too. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 22 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 22 2007, 03:00 PM) *
I have noticed the PPC BT is generally more unstable than the Smartphone BT. The Treo specifically had a major problem with turning off the BT on it's own, and I never did find a good solution for it other than turning it back on.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Glad it's not just my setup. Drag though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jan 23 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Bluetooth functionality was my biggest complaint when I tried out a PPC Phone (iPAQ 6315), but that thing was all sorts of buggy all around. BT was horrible on it though. very unreliable.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 23 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Hmmm, well....it's one thing if it turns itself off while I'm just entertaining myself listening to some music. (Although, the time and place of that CAN be bad.) But, it's quite another if I expect my phone calls to come through my headset and instead it has turned itself off. "It" being the BT on the PPC. My headset is still on, that's not a problem.

My job involves a bit of driving and once I'm on site my hands are very occupied so, I've really come to rely on my BT headset. I can't just "drop everything" and handle the phone. I had my SmartPhone setup to answer automatically in headset mode which works great! Meaning I could take a call and never have to touch my phone (or headset for that matter). I miss "profiles" not being available on the PPC. I could only find a way to set it to auto-answer all calls no matter if you're on headset or not. That's no good since you could be in such a noisy atmosphere that you don't hear the phone ring and it's auto-answered. Not good.

But, I thought I'd give it a go and just deal with switching it when I wanted it to auto-answer (something VERY easy to do on a SmartPhone by simply plugging in or, turning on your headset). But, my phone was ringing and I was waiting for the call to come through to my headset - which it never did since the BT on the phone had turned itself off. I missed the call. sad.gif

I find it amazing this is known and hasn't been corrected. I think it's a defect not an annoying little bug that has a work-around or something.

BTW, I've found out that simply turning the BT back on works once or twice then the system stops functioning as expected and needs to be reset. <sigh> I think I had to reset my PPC five times yesterday. Like I said in my original post regarding my "experiment" of going from SmartPhone to PPC...it's been painful. I kept thinking the problems could be solved (camera issue was fixed) but this doesn't sound like there's gonna be a happy ending.

Looks like the experiment is about over. Darn...I'm going to miss the big screen size. "Cuz, I'm telling you, now the screen on my i-mate SP5m looks sooooo small. On the upside, the whole phone looks and feels small & lightweight! LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 31 2007, 03:29 AM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Jan 23 2007, 01:39 PM) *
...I find it amazing this is known and hasn't been corrected. I think it's a defect not an annoying little bug that has a work-around or something.
There is a work-around. Go to start\settings\system\Power\Advanced then untick "turn off device if not used for..." There are two entries there, one for on battery power and the other when you're on external power. I don't know yet if it's just the "on battery power" one that needs to be un-selected or, both. But, for sure the battery power has to be un-checked. I'm still testing to find out if the external matters.

This means the battery will take a hit if when you're not using your bluetooth headset and you forget to manually put it in sleep mode (or, whatever they call it when you turn the screen off). I haven't tested it for long enough yet to say how much it drains it.

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Jan 23 2007, 01:39 PM) *
Looks like the experiment is about over.
The experiment is back on!

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 31 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Nah, it didn't fix it. I thought it did 'cuz I left the PPC on all night with BT on and in the AM it was still on. But, today, using it in the real world, I've had to reset the device twice in less than 3 hours when it finally hung due to the BT turning off by itself 10(!) times in those same -3 hours. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 1 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Seems as though it doesn't matter if the "external power" is un-checked (or, not) so I re-checked to "turn off the device if not used for ..." but have left the "on battery power" setting un-checked so the device "should" stay on unless I manually put it into sleep mode.

This did not fix the problem by itself, but along with the reg edit below is better. It's lasted from a few minutes to a few hours this way. Kind of seems like the first time it shuts off is in just a few minutes but after that it goes for quite awhile. It outlasted my Plantronics 640 headset this afternoon (5-ish hours of music listening, in other words - at which point FYI my MDA battery was showing 50%). So, I switched headsets and it lasted a couple minutes then after I turned the BT back on it lasted until I shut it off quite awhile later (lost track of the exact time, but it was an hour+).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Suspend
add dword btl1:
with a value of 1

Since it didn't fix it completely, and I've read that possibly changing the value to 2 is needed, I'll try that and post back how it goes.

Still testing...

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Apr 24 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Just noticed I forgot to follow up awhile back. Nothing I tried worked. sad.gif Maybe wm6 will fix this issue? <fingers crossed>

---
May 8, 2007
Happy to report that the wm6 "vanilla" ROM that I've been using for about a week now has totally fixed the BT auto-off problem I was having on my PPC. <insert Snoopy doing his happy dance here>

The only issue I ran into was that TCPMP (my music player of choice) needed a Windows Media codecs fix (just dropped the old WM5 codecs into the \Windows directory) and that was it!
Reason for edit: Updated info

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:56 AM