IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CTIA Wireless 2007: Day Two (final day)
smeg36
post Mar 29 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

The day started with a keynote address from former Presidents Bush and Clinton. If you've never had the chance to see a President speak before (I hadn't), do. It was a very good address. President Bush talked about the impact telecommunications had on his Presidency, and how useful it was. President Clinton spoke on the impact the telecommunications industry is having on the world, and the pivotal point it is at right now. The industry has the capability to unify the world, bringing about a greater understanding through all groups. Seeing the huge diversity of people at the conference, I tend to agree with him.

But here's what we really came here for; the devices. Read the rest of this thread for info and pictures about the UBiQUiO 503G, the GSM Q, the i-mate JAQ4, the HP iPaq 510 (first HP WM Smartphone), the Dash running WM6, the Orange SPV E650 (aka HTC Vox), and interesting information about Office Mobile in WM6 Standard.

Attached Image

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 29 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Here's the UBiQUiO 503G. It's set for an end of Q2, 2007 release, and priced at $649.95. No carriers are slated to pick it up, so expect to pay retail price. It fits pretty well in the hand, and is fairly small, especially for a touch screen device. This model wasn't working, so I didn't get a chance to play with the OS, but I really liked the feel of it in the hand. One to really consider for a small PPC with a QWERTY.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Specs on the 503G:
  • WM6
  • Processor: 520MHz Intel
  • Memory: 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM
  • Display: 2.5" 320x240
  • Quad Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, Tri-band UMTS, HSDPA
  • Connectivity: USB, Stereo Bluetooth, Wifi
  • Card Slot: micoSD
  • Main Camera: 2.0MP
  • Sub camera: 0.3MP for video conferencing

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 29 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

In keeping with the Q love, here's some shots and specs of the GSM Q. This isn't supposed to be released in the US, probably because of the q9 coming soon. It has the same shape as the CDMA Q I know and love, but a slower EDGE data connection.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 29 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Here is the i-mate JAQ4. Just look at all the specs in the photo. What else do you need in a device? It was a little large in the hand, but man what specs! The screen was nice and the keyboard was very spacious.
You can also see the new IEM (Internet Explorer Mobile) in WM6. Not a whole lot of changes in it, but all of them very welcome. I look forward to the enhanced features it offers.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 29 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Here's HP's first adventure into the Windows Mobile Smartphone (now called WM6 Standard) market; the HP iPaq 510. It is surprisingly small and light. It fits well into the hand. The screen is also small, especially compared to the 2.4" screens that are becoming standard.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 29 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

This may surprise you as I have made it abundantly clear how much I love the Q, but here's my favorite device of the convention; the SPV E650 aka HTC Vox. This phone is just awesome. There's rumors that a CDMA version, the S720, is coming soon. Man I hope so because I really love this phone. It's roughly the size of the SMT5600 (small), but has a sliding keyboard. I just love this device.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 30 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Look at the last picture of the SPV E650 above. Notice anything odd? Now compare it with this photo of the Dash running WM6.

Attached Image

As I mentioned briefly yesterday, the q9 is shipping without Office Mobile for WM6 Standard. Instead it has Documents to Go. The Moto rep told me the license for Office Mobile was separate from the license for the OS, so they decided to include Documents to Go instead. When I spoke with MS today about this, they told me there are actually two separate versions of WM6 Standard, one that includes Office Mobile and one that doesn't. I didn't get an exact price difference between the two, but imagine how much even $.25 difference would be if you're shipping millions of devices. It's understandable some carriers would omit it.

Other notables-HTC was sadly missing from the convention (no booth). The Windows Mobile booth was saying a lot of people were asking about them. Sad, I had a lot to ask them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 30 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Mar 29 2007, 04:56 PM) *
This may surprise you as I have made it abundantly clear how much I love the Q, but here's my favorite device of the convention; the SPV E650 aka HTC Vox. This phone is just awesome. There's rumors that a CDMA version, the S720, is coming soon. Man I hope so because I really love this phone. It's roughly the size of the SMT5600 (small), but has a sliding keyboard. I just love this device.
Oh man, Smeg, thanks a lot. I've been trying so hard to put out of my mind getting the VOX and hold out for the HTC S730 (Wings)! I thought for sure I'd get a VOX until Wings caught my eye. But, I sort of wonder if Wings will end up being all that it's rumored to be? And if the release date is realistic? The Vox is here...now. AND HTC didn't show up to show off some pretty interesting phones that are supposed to be rolling out in the not so distant future. Makes me wonder if they're delayed? sad.gif

HOWEVER, one thing really caught my eye in your photo of the VOX specs card - they are rating it at just 3 hours of talk time!?! Say it ain't so!! This is less than half the 7 hours I'd seen mentioned previously. Ouch! What happened to the other 4 hours??? That might be a deal breaker since I use mine to listen to music...a lot. It kinda sounds like the battery might not last long enough. The VOX is supposed to have the same battery as my SP5m (1050 mAh) and I get 5 hours of music play from it. Three hours would not work for me. Hmm...wonder how much an extra battery costs? wink.gif I thought with the bigger screen it'd drain faster but after seeing 7 hours talk time I thought they'd come up with good power management elsewhere in the phone. Three hours really gives me pause. <my non-logical side still REALLY wants one though rolleyes.gif >

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 30 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

The two main upgraded features you'll be getting from the Wings is the processor and HSDPA data. So you have to ask if those two features are worth waiting for. In my case I'd say yes because I would want the HSDPA on my phone. In your situation I doubt the HSDPA matters much because you are on prepaid, and use wifi all the time. So really it's just a matter of the processor (unless there's something else I missing on the Wings that the Vox doesn't have). Is it worth waiting an unknown amount of time for a 400Mhz Samsung instead of a 200Mhz TI Omap? Also, just on a personal note, from the photos I've seen of the Wings, the Vox looks better.

That 3 hours battery life does look strangely low. I don't see anything in the specs that would make it that low. In fact, I think I've read somewhere that WM6 is more efficient on battery life. The processor is 200Mhz, so that wouldn't be eating power. Really nothing on it suggests that low of a battery life except the spec card. My bet would be that's a misprint, or they had wifi on while testing it or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 30 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Another main upgrade on Wings is built-in GPS.

You've certainly hit a couple nails right on the head as far as what I've been thinking. I think the increased processor is worthwhile but since Wings has the same 1050 mAh battery as both the VOX and my SP5m it concerns me as to what the talk (listening) time will be on that one? I'd read wm6 was more efficient also, that's why I was REALLY surprised when I read the spec card! I'd been thinking since the processor was the same as my SP5m and it did NOT have HSDPA or GPS that the 7 hours I'd seen seemed realistic and would suit my music listening tendencies really well. wink.gif Could there really have been such an oversite to mis-state the talk time at such an important event? That would be a really big muck up if so 'cuz I can't imagine they test while running WIFI. I think they want the best-case-scenario times put out there...a "your mileage may vary" thang. They tell you the top end and you get something less. If three hours is tops...that's scary.

The built-in GPS is intriguing though not necessary since I've got everything I need for that already running on my SP5m. That "unknown amount of time" waiting for Wings is the main thing that keeps me thinking about the VOX. I could probably have it for awhile before Wings ever actually materializes. <dunno> I agree with you that the VOX looks great. Being smaller with a larger screen makes for a good looking device IMHO.

All that said, the i-mate 8150 still has my attention also. It's a PPC with the standard number pad and no QWERTY. I never use the slide out on my MDA so that seems perfect to me. With the caveat being PPC turning off Bluetooth on it's own. I'm hoping wm6 has fixed this issue. I'm just still a tad skeptical of the size dimensions given for the 8150. The size info out there on i-mate's own site seem suspect given the photos floating around out there that show it to be on par with the MDA. In which case the VOX is much smaller and more appealing...as is Wings. <sigh>

Guess I'm going to have to wait for some reviews before I can make up my mind.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 30 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

That 3 hours talk time was really bugging me and after this discussion I noticed the HTC site I'd been looking at conspicuously made no mention of talk or standby times. I just changed the region I was looking at and the new s710 site that it brought up says:

Rechargeable Lithium-ion Polymer battery
Capacity: 1050 mAh
Standby time: 175 hours
Talk time: Up to 7 hours

Whew!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Mar 30 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #12

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Heh, I really don't mind waiting for the Wings since I am going to be "Out of town" and the loop/picture for the next 7-10 months. Hopefully the Wings will be out by the time I get back. Here is hoping for that. I should have plenty of money saved up by that time to be able to get all sorts of new toys...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Mar 30 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Mar 30 2007, 07:24 PM) *
Heh, I really don't mind waiting for the Wings since I am going to be "Out of town" and the loop/picture for the next 7-10 months. Hopefully the Wings will be out by the time I get back. Here is hoping for that. I should have plenty of money saved up by that time to be able to get all sorts of new toys...

I want the VOX........and WM6 is great I am using it on my 8525.....oh and Jim when are we getting HTML for Exchange hmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol tongue.gif

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Apr 2 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #14

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (omega2008 @ Mar 30 2007, 04:53 PM) *
I want the VOX........and WM6 is great I am using it on my 8525...
Really, that surprises me! I thought you were a PPC guy through and through. Is it just to play with it for awhile as a sidekick to your 8525? Or, what?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:41 AM