Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,193
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC

Hi all,
Anyone have info about international calling w/ cingular? I'm curious because I just got back from visiting my sister in South America. Before I went I looked into buying a local prepaid SIM card (I have a smt5600, unlocked) but didn't do it because my sister told me that cell service in Peru is outrageously expensive. When I arrived, I powered on my phone and it immediately connected to the network and even gave me the new voicemail alert. I was tempted to just go ahead and use my phone, cost be damned, but I chickened out. So every time I got a new voicemail, I had to go down to the corner pay phone and use a calling card to get my messages (about $10 US for an hour or so of talk time). I felt kind of stupid standing at a payphone holding my cellular in my hand to look up whatever number I needed to call. Anyway, I'm just kind of curious if I would have ended up with a 4 figure phone bill.
E
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 30 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

If you look at the Cingular International Roaming page, Peru is listed as $3.49/minute. So it probably would have cost an arm and a leg.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
earl
post May 30 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,193
Phone: Cingular 8525

Wow, thanks. It looks like I may even be billed for the incoming calls that I didn't answer because they were routed to voicemail.

+Quote Post
The Undude
post May 31 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

When I was in France a few weeks ago, my little SMT 5600 was super. And because Cingular has arrangements with so many carriers, I was getting better reception than the locals, as my phone would go to the strongest signal regardless of carrier, whereas locals seems to be stuck with their paid carrier.

When I returned to the USA however, my phone bill was really big!

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 2 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

International works great everywhere I have been. I have subscribed to the international discount rate while I am deployed. It is like $5.99 a month for a little bit off of the normal international rates. For example, when I was in Dubai recently normal rates would have been $2.69 per minute, but with the discount it was only $2.29. The rates vary from place to place as does the discount. I try to keep my calls from my Cingular SIM limited. In my next stop I plan on just getting a local SIM and using an interntaional phone card (local access number) to make all my calls back to the states, just as I did when I was in Singapore (It is a lot cheaper that way).

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:45 AM