> Broke Camera
evilman78
post Feb 19 2007, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,087
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

I have only had my SMT5600 since December 23, 2006. It is an awesome phone. I have a 2GB card in it which is plenty. However the other day I went to take a picture and I got this error message that says, "Unable to inialize camera: 'Failed to set up the camera device.' I don't know what is going on, but now I can't take pictures. Could I just be missing the camera.exe file? If so could someone post it? Any help would be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Feb 19 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Have you tried turning the phone off and on? That is the first thing I would recommend trying with an error like that.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 19 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I agree with GrYph0n, that's the first step. If that doesn't work it could be a missing .exe shortcut in the Start Menu. All the .exe files are in the Windows folder, so you could go looking through it to find the one that runs the camera. If that still doesn't work try a hard reset and see if that fixes it.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
evilman78
post Feb 19 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #4

I have tried all of those before I posted the previous topic, turning phone off and on, and hard reset. And the camera.exe is not in the windows folder.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 19 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I had a similar issue with one of my devices (not a SMT though), and it was a hardware problem. My carrier replaced it for me. I doubt you're still under warranty depending on where you bought it. If it's a Cingular branded SMT5600 I'd try calling them. They may even replace it with a newer phone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
evilman78
post Feb 19 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #6

I bought it off ebay. It is cingular branded though. Maybe they will replace it. But if anyone has the camera.exe files I would love to try that first

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 19 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

I've had stranger things happen before. I purchased a 7135 (Palm phone) for my wife off ebay for $70. It wouldn't activate on her account, so VZW sent me a brand new Treo 600 worth $400 to replace it because they didn't have the 7135 anymore. I'd give them a call and just don't mention where you got it unless they ask. Tell them the problems you're having, and see what they say.

--------------------

+Quote Post
evilman78
post Feb 20 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #8

Well I called Cingular and they said that they couldn't replace it because they didn't have a purchase date. They asked where I got it and I told them. Anyways I bet if I had that camera.exe file it would work.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 20 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

There's no file called camera.exe on my phone. Most of the .exe files in the Windows folder aren't actually named the same as the shortcut that's placed in the Start Menu. I don't have a SMT5600 to find out what exactly the file is called on it. In any case, if it isn't working after a hard reset I highly doubt it will work by simply placing the necessary file on the phone. If it is still not working after a hard reset it's either a corrupt ROM or a hardware problem, neither of which would be fixed with the .exe. One last thing you could try is finding a ROM and flashing it to see if it is indeed the ROM. If it still doesn't work you definitely have a hardware issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 20 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

I don't have a wm2003 HTC device to look at, but on my HTC wm5 device the camera shortcut on the start menu points to " \Windows\Camera.exe /i " which is a large file when compared to most the other applications. In fact, "camera.exe" is the largest application (388kb) with "CommManager.exe" being the next one down (307kb).

Our devices are so dis-similar (different generation HTC devices) that posting the camera.exe from my phone probably wouldn't be useful.

Smeg's idea of finding a ROM to flash for your phone is the advice I'd follow.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:38 PM