2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SDAWoes....
conman
post Sep 6 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,325

I, for the love of god, cant get my phone to connect to tzone. It is driving me absolutely nuts. I have tried the .CAB, the tutorials, nothing. I get- "This page contains errors and cannot be loaded" bs everytime i hit the internet explorer button. it connects, it locates, then it will not open. I added my tmobileweb thing on sunday night. I then got a text on tuesday (the day im writing this) that "Tmobile has activated the service you requested" msg. This woudl leave one to believe that tzones would wrk. BUT it doesnt... wtf.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 6 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Not sure how T-Mobile is working these days, but I know when I had them, there at the end, I needed the unlimited internet package to really do much. I have heard that you should be able to do the basics with T-Zones these days though. What do your data settings look like? Your access point should be wap.voicestream.com.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
conman
post Sep 6 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #3

all settings r correct.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 7 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

At this point, if you are sure your settings are correct, I would call T-Mobile. They have the reputation for customer service (not sure how well that applies to smartphones now that they offer them). You should check with them to make sure that everything is in order on their end, things happen and something could have dropped out of the system. Since you have an actual T-Mobile supported phone, they should be able to help you out easily. Again, if you are sure everything is right on your phone, then it really could be something on their end of the service, there have been times I was ready to pull my hair out, only to find out it wasn't me or the phone, but more along the lines of something with the service. Just a thought and suggestion.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
conman
post Sep 7 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #5

so i called tmo. they would not help me because tzones on the sda is not "supported".... im angry.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 7 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Try checking the connection settings in IE. Try some variation of having the connection set to WAP or The Internet, and having the Automatically Detect Settings box checked or unchecked. That can make all the difference, even if you have the settings input properly.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
conman
post Sep 8 2006, 07:51 AM
Post #7

its strange... my aim and yahoo messenger work.

BTW I tried your suggestion to no avail. now i get a warning saying i donot have acces to the site.

$20 paypal to whom ever figures this out.

This post has been edited by conman: Sep 8 2006, 07:55 AM

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 8 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

What's the origin of your phone? Did you purchase it directly from T-Mo? I don't have a T-Mo SDA so I don't have any first hand experience with it (my phone is an SDA twin). BUT, I do have another phone (that work provided) that is a T-Mo phone with the T-zones button etc. so I do have a little bit of experience with that.

If you bought the phone directly from T-Mo, did the T-Zones button ever work, and not working is just a recent developement? If so, what software did you add that may have changed things? If this is the case you could try back tracking and removing anything you've added OR hard-reset your phone to return it to the factory settings (there's a thread in this forum with directions how to do it) . You'll lose everything you've added to the phone, but it will be just like it was when you took it out of the box originally. The T-Zones button "should" take you directly to the site (since you've been confirmed you've signed up for it). If it doesn't, I'd take it back and demand one that does. I think you have up to a year from when you purchased it to take this action. Umm, actually, first, I'd go to a store and have them show me an SDA with working T-Zones to make certain how it "should" work.

If you didn't buy from them, say it's an eBay phone for example, then, what ROM is on your phone? Are you certain it has a T-Mo ROM loaded?

If it does not have a T-Mo ROM on it, and the T-Zones site is critical to you, how about flashing your phone to an official T-Mo ROM? It should have all the settings you need by default. No guarantees, but it's what I'd do/try.

There may be other places where you can get the official T-Mo ROM, but the place I know is at the HTC America site here:
http://america.htc.com/support/tmobile_SDA_downloads.html

I said that part about T-Zones being critical, 'cuz there are many people out there who have flashed their SDAs with ROMs from i-mate and the Cingular one as well. They all do it for different reasons - perceived improvements. But, I mentioned I have an official T-Mo phone with T-Zones access. I've taken the SIM chip from it and am now using it in a Motorola MPx220. I then loaded the T-Mo access settings cab file from this site and am VERY happy to have complete internet access as opposed to just the T-Zones on the original work phone. Work pays for the account this phone is on, so I don't know what level of service they've paid for. It's quite possible the original phone was limited to T-Zones because it was just a simple Samsung phone and had it been more advanced, it may have been able to go full internet. In other words, I don't know if I'm getting more than the company has paid for just by using a SmartPhone with the cab settings loaded, or, if the previous phone had one hand tied behind it's back since it wasn't a SmartPhone. I can't be sure.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
conman
post Sep 8 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #9

I bought my phone through tmobile.com The tmo rom is on it. If i switched roms would that help?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 8 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I don't have your phone, so this is just my best guess. Here's what I'd do:

It won't help to switch to i-mate's or Cingular's ROM, of course, because they don't have T-Zones. But, is the ROM available on the site I gave you in my last post the same one that is on your phone currently? If the one listed above is newer, it might help.

1) I'd check to see if the ROM listed above is newer than the one on your phone now. If it is NOT, I'd leave it alone and head to a T-Mo store to find out if they have T-Zones set up on their in-store SDA. If so, go through the settings with your phone right beside - verifiying everything is setup the exact same way. If so, and yours still doesn't work, ask for a new phone as the one you have is not working right. You have an official T-Mo phone, so you are entitled to getting a fully functioning one. If it was an eBay phone, you'd be on your own. But, it's not. Get face to face with someone at their store and be firm. Deal with the manager if you have to. If their in store phone is not set up for T-Zones...why not? Is there a problem with the SDA phone and T-Zones? I have no idea...'cuz I don't have T-Mo service on their SDA.

2) If the ROM listed above is newer, I'd search to see if I could find the ROM currently on your phone now so that if/when you try the one above and if it turns out you don't like it (or, it doesn't fix anything) you can go back to where you are right now (if you want to) and at that point take it up with T-Mo just like above.

3) If I couldn't find the current ROM on your phone, I'd then stress myself for a few days deciding what to do? Update/don't update. Update/don't update. This is exactly what happened to me with my MPx220. The ROM on my phone wasn't available anywhere that I could find. It had an issue I really wanted to fix and the new ROM held out the promise that it might be better. Eventually, I decided to just go for it and the new ROM was better and I never looked back. Your mileage may vary. wink.gif

Exhaust all your avenues with T-Mo before you do any ROM flashing. That would be a last resort in my book. AND, if T-Zones are supposed to work on an SDA and T-Mo didn't get it going for me, AND I was left with a last resort of flashing the ROM, I'd be P.O.'d. I'd try a hard-reset to verify that it doesn't fix the current ROM in the phone to do what you want. Then I'd move on to flashing - IF I HAD to.

As I said, I don't have an SDA (I have the i-mate version) and I'm not a T-Mo customer (I have Cingular). I enjoy having access to the entire internet on my phone which I mainly access via wi-fi, or, if in a pinch, then GPRS. I have Cingular's Pay-As-You-Go service which charges a penny a kb when you use GPRS (no charge via wi-fi biggrin.gif ). Works great for me!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 8 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #11

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Don't be suprised when they tell you that T-Zones isn't designed to work with the SDA or any Windows Mobile Device. They will then try to set you up with the $29.99 Data/Hotspot deal. You may want to consider what smeg36 suggested to someone, and look into changing your phone to a blackberry on the website, then adding the blackberry connect plan which will give you unlimited data on your SDA for the good old rate of $19.95. The T-Zones battle of working/not working has been going on for years, and I am amazed to see that it is still going, I would have figured they would have had it shut off to these devices all together.

Still doesn't hurt to try to see what you can get done in a store though, but I wouldn't mention anything about signing up for a blackberry plan. Let us know how everything works out...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 9 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (conman @ Sep 8 2006, 03:51 AM) *
its strange... my aim and yahoo messenger work.

BTW I tried your suggestion to no avail. now i get a warning saying i donot have acces to the site.

$20 paypal to whom ever figures this out.

Are the AIM and Yahoo clients built into the phone? I think I read somewhere the SDA has them built in, and they use SMS. If that's the case, it would work regardless of the data settings. If you're using a third party client like Agile, it would be using data, and that would be strange indeed.

No need to offer any cash rewards. This site is around specifically to offer free assistance so all can partake.

--------------------

+Quote Post
conman
post Sep 9 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #13

I would love to go to a tmo store. unfortunately there are none around. when i added my sda tzone plan i had to switch my phone on mytmobile to activate it. yes the im service is built in. i just dont understand why it wrks for everyone but me. The ROM is updated. and I have hard reset 4 times. Does anyone know any wrkers for tmo?

This post has been edited by conman: Sep 9 2006, 01:45 AM

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 9 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

I'd try some variations of the settings that are in the cab file. The smallest little thing, like the DNS address, can make the settings not work. The most recent settings I've got to work (a few months ago on a prepaid phone though) was these. Except instead of internet2.voicestream.com I used wap.voicestream.com, and I didn't put in the settings from My WAP in that post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
conman
post Sep 9 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #15

apparently i need to find the appropriate settings for my area. I think that will be a huge problem considering tmo doesnt even have a store hear. I am 1 of about 12 other people in town who has tmo in a town of about 150,000-200,000 people. No one even knows what tmo is around hear. ironically, i get 4 bars everywhere.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 9 2006, 04:03 AM
Post #16

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

OK, I might be exposing just how little I know here. But, that's how we all learn. So, may I ask, what is it that you want to do with T-Zones? I just went to T-Mo's site to see if they talked about T-Zones on the SDA...which they don't btw (they talk about "T-Mobile Total Internet" as an optional service you can add, but not T-Zones).

So, I looked to see what T-Zones is exactly since I don't really know. They say it is "The place to buy services—on your phone or on the Web. Check out all the fun and useful things available at t-zones."
Then they list:
messaging
music & sounds
wallpaper
games
web & apps
411 & more

These things made a lot of sense for the work supplied non-Smartphone that I mentioned earlier, but on a Smartphone you can do all these things independent of T-Zones...UNLESS whatever you want is in that "more" listed after 411. In that case, then I guess you're stuck. T-Zones was the only way the little work supplied phone could do anything on the internet 'cuz it didn't have pIE built in. But, since the SDA surfs the net with built-in pIE (using GPRS, EDGE, or wi-fi connections) I can't think of what I'd do with T-Zones.

I'm sorry. I'm probably totally missing it (probably the case, since Smeg's not questioning it), but what is it that you want to do with T-Zones? Maybe there's another way to get you what you want and put this headache behind you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
conman
post Sep 9 2006, 04:06 AM
Post #17

By enabling Tzones (TMobileWEb) you can reroute your gprs to a proxy which allows you to have internet acces for 5.99 instaed of 29.99.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 9 2006, 04:32 AM
Post #18

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Oh, i c. I wasn't thinking how it was that I got internet on my phone through Cingular. I pay a penny a kb for a GPRS connection. So, with T-Mo you can't have a pay-as-you-go account? You have to pay for some sort of data plan up front (either the "T-Mobile Total Internet" *expensive @ 29.99 or the "T-Zones" plan *less expensive @ 5.99). Thanks for pointing out what I'd forgotten. rolleyes.gif

Sorry I haven't been able to help. I hope someone pops in here who knows how to help you. If you find a successful setting, be sure to post it here for all who follow to see.

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 9 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #19

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I just went to HoFo to see what they had to say about your problem and I see you're already over there discussing this issue and there seems to be no answer there yet either. Glad you've found them. Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
conman
post Sep 10 2006, 01:08 AM
Post #20

mad.gif mad.gif So i have installed opera mobile to see if maybe that would work. and well, it does and doesnt. I open opera and it conncets to the opera web portal. i then try to hit news or sports etcc... to go to a site. I then get a very odd message that I need to purchase TMobileWeb. Well its already on my account. so i still went ahead and hit the button to add it again. After the add i receved a message stating that my bundle purchase cannot be completed ATM and to call 611. I am confsued as ^*&&.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:30 AM