IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you place calls on your PPC Phone?, Your tips and methods for quick lookup and calling
smeg36
post Jun 10 2007, 04:52 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I've been considering getting the new Sprint PPC-6800/HTC Mogul when it comes out. I've been using the Motorola Q for a while now, but was using the Treo 700wx prior to that. One of the main concerns I have with switching back to a PPC, particularly one with a slide out thumb board, is contact dialing. Right now on my Q, as well as with the 700wx, it is so simple. I just start dialing the name of the person I want to call on the exposed thumb board, and within 1-2 key stokes I usually have a call placed.

With the PPC-6800 I don't see it being an easy task. Sure, I can use the right soft key to go into Contacts, scroll through all the names I have, then press the call button on the person I want to call. But that takes an awfully long time compared to the simple method I have now. I could also use voice dialing, but that doesn't work so well in public places. So my question to all you currently using a PPC Phone without an exposed thumb board; how do you place calls on your device? I'm dying to know of any good solutions I'm not thinking of.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jadams951
post Jun 10 2007, 05:37 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,067
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 9 2007, 11:52 PM) *
I've been considering getting the new Sprint PPC-6800/HTC Mogul when it comes out. I've been using the Motorola Q for a while now, but was using the Treo 700wx prior to that. One of the main concerns I have with switching back to a PPC, particularly one with a slide out thumb board, is contact dialing. Right now on my Q, as well as with the 700wx, it is so simple. I just start dialing the name of the person I want to call on the exposed thumb board, and within 1-2 key stokes I usually have a call placed.

With the PPC-6800 I don't see it being an easy task. Sure, I can use the right soft key to go into Contacts, scroll through all the names I have, then press the call button on the person I want to call. But that takes an awfully long time compared to the simple method I have now. I could also use voice dialing, but that doesn't work so well in public places. So my question to all you currently using a PPC Phone without an exposed thumb board; how do you place calls on your device? I'm dying to know of any good solutions I'm not thinking of.

I've got the 8125 so I simply pull up the keypad and start pressing the first few letters of the name as listed in my contacts and it matches what I'm typing. The easiest though is MS Voice Command. Press the side button and say dial lucy liu cell and then confirm it and that's that.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 10 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

I never really tried dialing the name using the on-screen keypad. That makes sense though. Still, more difficult than what I'm doing now, but better than anything I'd thought of yet. That brings me to my other main concern though, screen cleanliness. I'm unhealthily obsessed with keeping my screen clean and perfect looking. As such, I never touch it with my fingers. I could put a screen protector on it to keep finger smudged off the screen, but almost every one I've ever put on had at least one little edge that didn't stick down. I can't live with that, and end up ripping it off after a few days. I'll just have to live with it I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jadams951
post Jun 10 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 10 2007, 10:04 AM) *
I never really tried dialing the name using the on-screen keypad. That makes sense though. Still, more difficult than what I'm doing now, but better than anything I'd thought of yet. That brings me to my other main concern though, screen cleanliness. I'm unhealthily obsessed with keeping my screen clean and perfect looking. As such, I never touch it with my fingers. I could put a screen protector on it to keep finger smudged off the screen, but almost every one I've ever put on had at least one little edge that didn't stick down. I can't live with that, and end up ripping it off after a few days. I'll just have to live with it I guess.

I put a screen protector on mine and it sticks down just fine no problem for over a year. I like you suffer from a slight case of OCD. I've learned to tap with my finger tips so hardly every any smudges. I just wipe it clean though every few days with the same rag I use to clean my sunglasses.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 10 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I've got lucky a few times, and got a protecter that didn't have an edge that didn't stick a few times. But more often than not it ends up being a waste of money because I'm not satisfied with it. Plus I end up spending an hour in a steamy bathroom trying to apply it. I used to swear by them, but have since given up. What brand are you using?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jadams951
post Jun 11 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 10 2007, 11:44 AM) *
I've got lucky a few times, and got a protecter that didn't have an edge that didn't stick a few times. But more often than not it ends up being a waste of money because I'm not satisfied with it. Plus I end up spending an hour in a steamy bathroom trying to apply it. I used to swear by them, but have since given up. What brand are you using?

Boxwave

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 11 2007, 04:03 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Those always were my favorite. I'll have to give them another try if I get the Mogul and see if I can't get a satisfactory application.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 16 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

I press the green phone key which brings up the phone app then just start typing the name I want to dial using the on-screen dial pad. This is exactly one more step than how I did it on my Smartphone with dedicated dial pad. On my PPC, I have to bring up the keypad with a single touch of the green phone key. No big deal IMHO.

Yes, finger prints are inescapable. Everyone wants touch screen, and so I'm wondering what the iPhone looks like after using it to do a couple things? That's a huge screen to try and keep clean or protect somehow. The new HTC Touch (Elf) has a flat surface screen (not sunken down a tad like most PPC's I've seen) so wiping the Touch clean on your sleeve or whatever is very easy. No corner/edge crud build up!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 17 2007, 03:18 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

After a few weeks of use I've ended up giving in to touching the screen. It's all or nothing, so I touch it all the time now. Really isn't that hard to lookup contacts if I'm willing to touch the screen. Plus, most of the people I call are in my photo contacts, which can be seen in the Home Screen thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:29 PM