IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> answer mode, both open flip and press external rewind?
Xeno
post Oct 6 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel

I tried out the "answer any key" setting and liked being able to push the external rewind key and immediately get a speakerphone call. But I'm in the middle of a trip now and I had to change make to the original setting where opening the flip answered the call esp when driving around a metro not known to me.
Anyway to have both or do I just change setting depending on what I think I may most need that day or week?

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Oct 11 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Haven't messed with that too much to see if something can be changed in the registry, but I at the moment that is the only way to answer in speaker phone.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 11 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Oct 10 2006, 08:39 PM) *
Haven't messed with that too much to see if something can be changed in the registry, but I at the moment that is the only way to answer in speaker phone.

Right, but you don't see any way to toggle between the two answer modes without going into start ... ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Oct 12 2006, 04:13 AM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

No, there is no real way to toggle that without going into start>settings>phone>answer mode sad.gif .

Now for those of you that didn't know or figure it out already, if you have your 3125 (any star trek) set to any button answer vice open to answer then you can use your rewind button to answer your phone in speaker phone mode.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 12 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #5

Gadget Junkie

I got this suggestion about how to hack the registry that I am quoting another person:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can have the rewind button answer and open on answer both active, but only through registry editing. Set both of the following keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Phone]
"AnyKey"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\Phone]
"OpenToAnswer"=dword:00000001

I only tried it for a short time, so it may reset itself (especially if you went into that part of the setup). Cycling power did not reset it, however.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody see any problems with this registry hack? Or is it likely to be easily reset by whatever means?

--------------------

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 12 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026

Give it a try and see what happends. If it doesn't work you can always change the keys back.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 14 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #7

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (omega2008 @ Oct 12 2006, 06:32 PM) *
Give it a try and see what happends. If it doesn't work you can always change the keys back.

I got distracted during the middle of doing this so all I know for sure is that when I turned the phone off and back on that it reset to the default values. At some point, and here is what I don't remember, the volume for my speakerphone was low --when using the external rewind button -- but now it is back to normal (at least when I have the flip open and use the menu to get to the speakerphone). I checked the side button on the phone (set to high)and the volume settings for phone...normal (set to loud) so I'm not sure what happened.

Edited to say now when I set answer mode to "any key" and use the external rewind" to answer the phone that the volume is way too low to use. And there is also an echo. Any ideas how to restore the rewind/speakerphone volume to its original volume?

See Omega2008, the reason I was hesitant to attempt this hack is that I don't know how to repair the damage when things go wrong.

Edited to say I just discovered that if I have it set to answer with any key and I use rewind that the speakerphone is low, but if I simply open the flip, go to the menu and select speakerphone then the volume is normal. Hmmm

This post has been edited by Xeno: Oct 14 2006, 11:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 16 2006, 05:52 AM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

QUOTE (Xeno @ Oct 14 2006, 12:02 PM) *
I got distracted during the middle of doing this...

Sorry that in your research to fix the problem you're having that you didn't read any warnings regarding caution when it comes to registry editing. Whenever one makes the decision to mess around in the registry one should also make certain not to become distracted. It is possible to brick your phone if things don't go right.

QUOTE (Xeno @ Oct 14 2006, 12:02 PM) *
See Omega2008, the reason I was hesitant to attempt this hack is that I don't know how to repair the damage when things go wrong...
You SHOULD be able to return your phone to exactly how it was when it came out of the box by performing a hard reset on your phone. I don't have a phone like yours, so I can't tell you how to do it. However, it may be like my phone since mine is also an HTC wm5 device. Check on your start menu for "clear storage". The icon looks like a trash can. If you find it, select it and follow the directions. This will restore all factory defaults AND erase ANYTHING you've added to the phone or any settings you've changed. Your storage card will not be erased, so that's safe. There is probably another method to perform a hard reset in case you can't get to your start menu. If you find reference to that method somewhere, you could do it that way too.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 16 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #9

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Oct 16 2006, 12:52 AM) *
Sorry that in your research to fix the problem you're having that you didn't read any warnings regarding caution when it comes to registry editing. Whenever one makes the decision to mess around in the registry one should also make certain not to become distracted. It is possible to brick your phone if things don't go right.

You SHOULD be able to return your phone to exactly how it was when it came out of the box by performing a hard reset on your phone. I don't have a phone like yours, so I can't tell you how to do it. However, it may be like my phone since mine is also an HTC wm5 device. Check on your start menu for "clear storage". The icon looks like a trash can. If you find it, select it and follow the directions. This will restore all factory defaults AND erase ANYTHING you've added to the phone or any settings you've changed. Your storage card will not be erased, so that's safe. There is probably another method to perform a hard reset in case you can't get to your start menu. If you find reference to that method somewhere, you could do it that way too.

Good luck!

Is there a way to backup the registry so it can be returned to the last save when things go wrong?

I knew to be careful. The distraction didn't put my phone at risk, but muddled my memory.

I have two concerns about doing a hard reset. One is that I read a post by someone who used the speakerphone with the rewind button and he never got a normal volume. So It is conceivable that nothing other than finding the problem with the registry will fix the problem. The other mentioned earlier is a complex hack I did that I am not sure I can repeat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 16 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #10

Gadget Junkie

I used the Cingular online chat to ask for assistance and they gave me the phone number for HTC. I called HTC and he said there are no other settings that would make a difference between using the speakerphone with the rewind key or selecting by the menu. He suggested I exchange the phone.
Since the only problem I've had with this phone is because of what I've done, I would then first try a hard reset and if it doesn't work just hope the next phone is as trouble free as this one has been.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 16 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (Xeno @ Oct 16 2006, 06:09 AM) *
Is there a way to backup the registry so it can be returned to the last save when things go wrong?...
Sprite Backup will let you make a backup (or, many backups) and then if you want to "undo" something you can just restore your phone to a prior backup before you did the thing you want undone. It works great and gets many positive comments on these boards. Check them out here: http://www.spritesoftware.com/

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 16 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #12

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Oct 16 2006, 05:54 PM) *
Sprite Backup will let you make a backup (or, many backups) and then if you want to "undo" something you can just restore your phone to a prior backup before you did the thing you want undone. It works great and gets many positive comments on these boards. Check them out here: http://www.spritesoftware.com/

Thank you. But it looks like I am one step past where I want to save a back up that can be restored. However, if I start over with a hard reset then I need to use this program to make saves along the way so that when something goes wrong I can fix it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 16 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #13

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Exactly...and, unfortunately. Live and learn right?!!

I made several backups as I "built" my phone this last time. The first stuff I put in my phone was the stuff that would always be the same. My first backup was after I unlocked it. The second was after adding all my personal info. The third after key mapping reg edits for pIE. Next was after the camera date folder reg edit. Etc. etc. After each thing I'd do, I'd make a backup so I could always step back one step if need be. It gives you great peace of mind to know that you can undo that one thing that messed up. I don't think I'll ever have to go back to square one and what a relief THAT is!

I did many hard resets before I FINALLY got Sprite. It's a very worthwhile purchase.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Oct 17 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #14

Site Administrator
Group Icon

About this speaker phone not being loud, I have a few theories on it. I tried it out once and decided it wasn't a big deal or for me. I think the design for it is so that you can answer via handsfree device or something like that. I have set mine to any key answer, and not modified the registry in anyway, and honestly it sounded like the other person was coming through the actual earpiece of the handset vice the actual speaker for music and speakerphone. Since it was so quiet on the phone that I tried it on (can't remember which one, but I am on 3125 #3, and it may have been my smartflip). I guess I could give it another shot and see what my results are.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 17 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #15

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Oct 16 2006, 06:39 PM) *
...I am on 3125 #3...
ohmy.gif I must have missed something! Why are you on your third 3125??? unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 17 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #16

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Oct 16 2006, 08:39 PM) *
About this speaker phone not being loud, I have a few theories on it. I tried it out once and decided it wasn't a big deal or for me. I think the design for it is so that you can answer via handsfree device or something like that. I have set mine to any key answer, and not modified the registry in anyway, and honestly it sounded like the other person was coming through the actual earpiece of the handset vice the actual speaker for music and speakerphone. Since it was so quiet on the phone that I tried it on (can't remember which one, but I am on 3125 #3, and it may have been my smartflip). I guess I could give it another shot and see what my results are.

You may be right about the voice coming through the earpiece of the headset, but prior to the registry hack, the volume for rewind/speakerphone was quite good. As I say, I can still get normal volume from the speakerphone by using the menu and selecting speakerphone even during a call that I started by pushing the rewind button. I learned about doing this from a group that had it working normal on their 3125s.
The changes that I made which went back to default after off/on are minor so I'm confused what else was changed that made me loose a feature that I used.
Of the two registry entries above, would you look at the first one and see if the default is "0" or "1" please?
Thanks.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Oct 17 2006, 01:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 17 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #17

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Oct 16 2006, 06:28 PM) *
Exactly...and, unfortunately. Live and learn right?!!

I made several backups as I "built" my phone this last time. The first stuff I put in my phone was the stuff that would always be the same. My first backup was after I unlocked it. The second was after adding all my personal info. The third after key mapping reg edits for pIE. Next was after the camera date folder reg edit. Etc. etc. After each thing I'd do, I'd make a backup so I could always step back one step if need be. It gives you great peace of mind to know that you can undo that one thing that messed up. I don't think I'll ever have to go back to square one and what a relief THAT is!

I did many hard resets before I FINALLY got Sprite. It's a very worthwhile purchase.

If I do a hard reset or get the volume working or do an exchange, I will buy Sprite and go from there.
BTW, if a hard reset doesn't work and I do an exchange will then send me a new phone or will it be refurbished?

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 17 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #18

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I have no experience with this. I suggest asking them. Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 17 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #19

Gadget Junkie

Well I did a hard reset and no difference when using the setting "any key" and pressing the rewind key for the speakerphone. Very disappointing. I dread going through the process of getting another phone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Oct 18 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #20

Site Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Oct 17 2006, 02:27 AM) *
ohmy.gif I must have missed something! Why are you on your third 3125??? unsure.gif

1st one had a really loose and weak hinge so I exchanged it for a more solid one. The 2nd recently developed connectivity problems that would prevent me from using data after a soft reset (tried hard reset, got a new SIM, Contacted Cingular Data/PDA support, Contacted HTC Support, etc, and nothing would get it how it should be even with messing with, removing, and reinstalling proven and working data settings), so on day 30 I exchanged it for my now 3rd. cool.gif None of my issues have ever been mentioned elsewhere so I didn't see the need to post about it until now wink.gif

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:32 AM