IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> phone suddenly turned off, is this a sign of the end?
Xeno
post Sep 18 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel

I got my MPX 220 in Jan 2007 so I don't quality for Cingular's upgrade until Oct 30. I am interested in getting the Cingular 3125 even though it lacks some MPX features that I use. I hope that adding Ms Voice Command on a 3125 will be comparable to the voice commands we have on the 220.

I used my phone like normal this weekend and this morning when I got ready to use it the unit was off. I turned it on and so far it has continued to work all day.

But is this a sign that I should get a 3125 before Oct 30 or I will be left with a dead phone? I could upgrade through my wife's account (am on family national), but would prefer to only extend the contract on my office account rather than through our personal line.

Wo what should I do?

Thanks.

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 18 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

As long as it is continuing to work I'd hold out for the month to get the much cheaper price on the phone.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 18 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Voice Command, that is what I forgot to load. I will let you know how it works out when I get the chance to load it and test it out on this phone.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 18 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #4

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Sep 18 2006, 05:48 PM) *
Voice Command, that is what I forgot to load. I will let you know how it works out when I get the chance to load it and test it out on this phone.

Please do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Sep 19 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #5

Site Administrator

Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile

Voice command will work on a smartphone?

The software requirement for you to run Voice Command is Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PC or Pocket PC Phone Edition.

Requirements for Voice Command found here.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 19 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

The official released version? No. But there has been a leaked Smartphone version of Voice Command.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 19 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #7

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 19 2006, 08:19 AM) *
The official released version? No. But there has been a leaked Smartphone version of Voice Command.

Is this a coming version of the program that can be purchased for smartphones?

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 19 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

I'm not sure if MS is going to eventually release it or not. It's been available as a leaked program for a while now, and I haven't heard anything about a commercial release ever coming.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 19 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #9

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 19 2006, 01:08 PM) *
I'm not sure if MS is going to eventually release it or not. It's been available as a leaked program for a while now, and I haven't heard anything about a commercial release ever coming.

Well, so much for me and the 3125. I don't know how to find the non-commercial version and having voice command comparable to the MPX was my main reason for holding out on switching to the 3125.

So I hope they come out with something that will work for me before my MPX completely dies. My wife was looking forward to using it next month.

Edited to say it looks like I have no choice. My MPX went dead on me again. I want the flip but don't know how to manage without the MPX voice commands.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Sep 19 2006, 10:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 20 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #10

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Voice Command is on the mark, but not available on the market and I haven't heard anything about a release as well. One of the issues is that it is a total RAM hog. It takes up about 10%-15% of my available RAM from start. I like having the features, but it just isn't worth giving up on preformance for something that will hardly get used. Besides with the built in voice capabilities I can voice dial people over bluetooth without ever taking the phone out of my pocket (something that no voice command program offers). There are other aftermarket voice command style programs out there if it is really that important to you.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 20 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #11

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Sep 19 2006, 09:18 PM) *
Voice Command is on the mark, but not available on the market and I haven't heard anything about a release as well. One of the issues is that it is a total RAM hog. It takes up about 10%-15% of my available RAM from start. I like having the features, but it just isn't worth giving up on preformance for something that will hardly get used. Besides with the built in voice capabilities I can voice dial people over bluetooth without ever taking the phone out of my pocket (something that no voice command program offers). There are other aftermarket voice command style programs out there if it is really that important to you.

Yes, this feature is critical to me. I have over 200 contacts and don't use BT headphone.

Can you point me in the direction of finding some of these other programs?

BTW, you were able to install it -- which version (?) -- but took it off because of the issues you encountered? I'm not sure that memory resources would be an issues because I don't do gaming or Internet just phone calls with voice mail and ActiveSyn. The Ms Voice Command has features that I could use so I a disappointed that it is not available for me to at least try out.

So I take it that the review at http://www.vsdotnet.be/blogs/tommer/PermaL...59360406e5.aspx is not only old but irrelevant to current smartphones, right?

This post has been edited by Xeno: Sep 20 2006, 02:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 20 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Whoever wrote that blog entry was using the generic term smartphone. To be accurate they should have said Pocket PC Phone, as that is the only WM phone that Voice Command can be purchased for. Another program you could check out is Fonix Voicedial.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 20 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #13

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 20 2006, 09:46 AM) *
Whoever wrote that blog entry was using the generic term smartphone. To be accurate they should have said Pocket PC Phone, as that is the only WM phone that Voice Command can be purchased for. Another program you could check out is Fonix Voicedial.

Thanks for the clarificaiton.

A 3125 user in the Cingular Forum tried Fonix Voicedial 2.2 and he said it was better than the software that came with the 3125 but not close to the MPX.

I notice on the Fonix web now they have 3.0 and a free download so I guess I will have to start there when my phone arrives this Friday.

Also, does anyone know how to assign the side button on the phone for voice to this particular application rather than the pathetic app that comes with the phone?

This post has been edited by Xeno: Sep 20 2006, 10:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 20 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #14

Site Administrator
Group Icon

The App itself should give you that option. If I remember correctly it will. I know MS Voice Command automatically assigns it as the "record" meaning that you just have to press and hold the side button for a second. I am pretty sure but not positive that Fonix will give you that option as well. I know it will give you some sort of hotkey option.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 20 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #15

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Sep 20 2006, 06:45 PM) *
The App itself should give you that option. If I remember correctly it will. I know MS Voice Command automatically assigns it as the "record" meaning that you just have to press and hold the side button for a second. I am pretty sure but not positive that Fonix will give you that option as well. I know it will give you some sort of hotkey option.

Obviously I am out of my field because I thought I read a post somewhere with a high tech 3125er saying he could not get the side button to activate Fonix. Then I read somewhere else that those who were using Ms Voice Command had to edit the registry to get the button to work and they had mixed results.

Seeing you mention Ms Voice Command again makes me wonder if I should not try it first esp since http://microsoft.handango.com/PlatformProd...productId=90635
lists the MPX as a device that will work with this UK version. I may much more drawn to the Ms software and don't think the memory issue will be a problem for the way I use the device.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 21 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #16

Site Administrator
Group Icon

That is still the PPC version. When they say MPX, they are saying that it has been tested on the old MPX that was going to be a PPC with the dual hinge (open as a flip phone, or as a laptop style). They are not refering to the MPX series of smartphones, all the phones listed in the compatable devices list are all PocketPC Phone Edition devices. Thought I would let you know that before you drop $40 on something that you wouldn't be able to use on your phone.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 21 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #17

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Sep 20 2006, 11:11 PM) *
That is still the PPC version. When they say MPX, they are saying that it has been tested on the old MPX that was going to be a PPC with the dual hinge (open as a flip phone, or as a laptop style). They are not refering to the MPX series of smartphones, all the phones listed in the compatable devices list are all PocketPC Phone Edition devices. Thought I would let you know that before you drop $40 on something that you wouldn't be able to use on your phone.

Thanks again. My 3125 is on the truck but if I can't find a solution to this voice command I will have to send it back. Maybe my MPX 220 will last long enough until a true successor to the MPX 220 is released somewhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 22 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #18

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

Xeno - you seem like the perfect one to ask since you're a MPx220 'voice command' enthusiast. I never 'got' the usefulness of voice commands on my MPx220. I always felt like I had to have a "conversation" with my phone to finally get someone dialed. I liked when I got my new wm5 device and found they'd returned to 'voice tags' like on my good ol' MPx200. Besides just saying one command and it's off and dialing, it also works with my BT headset - which you've already said is not a concern of yours. However, it might concern anyone living in a state that bans holding a phone in your hand while driving - no matter that it's not for a whole conversation...it's a ticket if you're observed doing so by an officer. Being able to dial ALL my contacts without looking is not a concern of mine, which it seems is your concern. I've voiced tagged my most important/frequently dialed numbers and wait to place the call if I'm on the highway and want to call someone not tagged.

From memory, since it's been awhile since I've used it, you need to long press the voice button on the side of the phone (the volume down button) then say "open dialer" (or, something like that) then you're asked who you want to call? So, you say the name. You're asked to confirm if the name the voice says back to you is correct? Which you confirm if it's correct. Then you're asked to say which number you want to call (home, work, mobile etc.) You're asked to confirm. Then it finally dials that number for you. Whew! The steps are something similar to that if I didn't get them perfect.

It felt so laborious to me. I have my most important 9 numbers speed dial ready with just one press of the keypad (equivalent to the one key press necessary to begin the voice command process). I also have all those contacts and a few others voice tagged. Clearly, though, one can't really voice tag the over 200 contacts from your example. Can you tell me how you use it and why you like it so much? I've always felt I just didn't get 'it' - but, was never sure what 'it' was. It was useful to dial numbers not stored just by speaking the digits...but, again, not via BT.

I think I've read there is voice command software smart enough to dial a number with a single key press followed with "call Robert Smith at home" for example. I could deal with that, but just never got the appeal of voice command as it exists on the 220.

Please enlighten me 'cuz I really want to know. My old 220 is still in use by another family member. So, if you help me understand how to use it better, or understand/appreciate it's benefit, I'll pass along the info. Is it that you do a lot of dialing while driving and so the voice command saves you from looking at the phone to press the keys necessary to find your contact in your phonebook? Since BT doesn't work with it though, you still need to presumably glance at the phone long enough to pick it up and then begin the 'conversation'. But, you're saving yourself (and the safety of others) from the long glances at the phone keypad to find the appropriate keys to enter a few letters of the name of the person you want to call - which we all know does take your eyes off the road.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 22 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #19

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Sep 22 2006, 04:05 AM) *
Xeno - you seem like the perfect one to ask since you're a MPx220 'voice command' enthusiast. I never 'got' the usefulness of voice commands on my MPx220. I always felt like I had to have a "conversation" with my phone to finally get someone dialed. I liked when I got my new wm5 device and found they'd returned to 'voice tags' like on my good ol' MPx200. Besides just saying one command and it's off and dialing, it also works with my BT headset - which you've already said is not a concern of yours. However, it might concern anyone living in a state that bans holding a phone in your hand while driving - no matter that it's not for a whole conversation...it's a ticket if you're observed doing so by an officer. Being able to dial ALL my contacts without looking is not a concern of mine, which it seems is your concern. I've voiced tagged my most important/frequently dialed numbers and wait to place the call if I'm on the highway and want to call someone not tagged.

From memory, since it's been awhile since I've used it, you need to long press the voice button on the side of the phone (the volume down button) then say "open dialer" (or, something like that) then you're asked who you want to call? So, you say the name. You're asked to confirm if the name the voice says back to you is correct? Which you confirm if it's correct. Then you're asked to say which number you want to call (home, work, mobile etc.) You're asked to confirm. Then it finally dials that number for you. Whew! The steps are something similar to that if I didn't get them perfect.

It felt so laborious to me. I have my most important 9 numbers speed dial ready with just one press of the keypad (equivalent to the one key press necessary to begin the voice command process). I also have all those contacts and a few others voice tagged. Clearly, though, one can't really voice tag the over 200 contacts from your example. Can you tell me how you use it and why you like it so much? I've always felt I just didn't get 'it' - but, was never sure what 'it' was. It was useful to dial numbers not stored just by speaking the digits...but, again, not via BT.

I think I've read there is voice command software smart enough to dial a number with a single key press followed with "call Robert Smith at home" for example. I could deal with that, but just never got the appeal of voice command as it exists on the 220.

Please enlighten me 'cuz I really want to know. My old 220 is still in use by another family member. So, if you help me understand how to use it better, or understand/appreciate it's benefit, I'll pass along the info. Is it that you do a lot of dialing while driving and so the voice command saves you from looking at the phone to press the keys necessary to find your contact in your phonebook? Since BT doesn't work with it though, you still need to presumably glance at the phone long enough to pick it up and then begin the 'conversation'. But, you're saving yourself (and the safety of others) from the long glances at the phone keypad to find the appropriate keys to enter a few letters of the name of the person you want to call - which we all know does take your eyes off the road.

Thanks in advance!

I guess I illustrate what you are looking for because I hate voice tags. That was one reason I gave my wife my old M V600 since she doesn't use any kind of voice command anyway.
The MPX 220 has more than dialing commands, but for me I would typically push the bar on the upper left part of the phone, then after being asked what command would say "voice dial," when asked who then I would say the name or part of the name of the contact, then I could select mobile, home, or work. If I was driving I could hand the phone to my wife and the MPX 220 understood her voice with no problems. In terms of states that do not allow you to hold the phone, I would still prefer the old headset with a cable over BT which I find bulky while the regular headset let me go through the MPX 220 routine without any problems.

I am so frustrated with the fact that the 3125 only comes with voice tag that I am planning to send it back unless I can find the right kind of software in the 30 day return period. I am trying software from Fonix, but that program does not understand my wife's name - which is slightly unusual - unless I put on the headgear and that is regardless of being in a car or in a quiet living room.

The Fonix software doesn't come close to what I have on the MPX 220. When it does finally dial, it makes it very hard for you to select between mobile, home, or work. And so on.

It looks like my case is hopeless since Ms will not release a version of its voice command for smartphones and since the smartphone version is not for sale from a regular vendor. This is very disappointing because I am worried that my MPX 220 is wearing out. I would have simply bought another one but Cingular doesn't sell them any more and I am not high tech enough to know how to buy what from Ebay and get it to work right.

If it matters one of the issues for me is that I already have around 200 contacts and there are constant additions and revisions. MPX 220 has no problem with this, but only having voice tags makes this a nightmare and I am not having much better luck with Fonix.

If anyone could please suggest alternatives, I would be most grateful. There is much to like about the 3125 but the voice command feature is a make or break feature for me.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Sep 22 2006, 02:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 22 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

There are a few other programs you can try, but I'm not sure how they will run or display on the 3125. Please do let us all know how, or if, they work. Here is Voice Signal. It says it is for upgrading your MPx220, so I don't know if it will run on any other phone, but it's worth a try. This is the same software the MPx220 had on it, so I hope it works for you. Here is a program called MobileSpeech that may or may not work. It looks like you can get a trial version of MobileSpeech here. I don't think VoiceSignal has a trial you can get to test with, I didn't see one anywhere. I'll be interested to hear your results.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:02 PM