Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

Review by Jack Spade

FIRST OFF ... AT&T MMODE is not "really" supported on this phone. According to the very forthright technicians I spoke to in the AT&T Advanced Network Services group, the MPx200's browser cannot support scripting used by many/most mmode intranet sites. In other words, 75% of all mmode sites are unviewable ...

Ok, with that said the glowing reviews are a little overdone. It's a nice phone. But honestly, I have mixed feelings about this phone. Here are the things I think stand out (good and bad):

1) The integration with Outlook - the reason I got this phone - is awesome. It works flawlessly as advertised. I love it!

2) Smartphone 2002 is slow and choppy. Forget the quick reflexes of the MOTO V60i. This thing is clunky. For example, the caller ID feature needs to ring a few times before the operating system finishes matching the name with your contacts list. WHY?!?!

I've heard there are registry tweaks you can install to improve performance. How many of you know Win32 programming or really want to learn?

Also, I spoke with AT&T and they are really not sure there is going to be an upgrade path. This is pretty uncharted territory for ATTWS. ATTWS says ask MOTO, MOTO says ask MSFT, MSFT says ask ATTWS.

3) Heavily taxed battery life. Nuff said. From what I understand, the technology just isn't there yet. Basically, long lasting batteries are not easy to make cheap.

4) Internet browsing is SLOW. This is more of an AT&T thing really.

5) The internal antaena is solid.

This phone is a cool party favor with aspirations at being a PDA replacement. It definitely succeeds on the first and comes close, but no cigar, on the second. My recommendation is to wait for phones supporting smartphone 2003 coming next year. In the meantime, if you are a tech geek expect to do a lot of your own tech support if you use AT&T - or at least figuring it out with them. Except for the guys and gals in their Advanced Network Services and Conflict Resolution groups, the AT&T tech and sales representatives I spoke to were totally clueless about this phone or their services as they relate to this phone. To be fair, after escalating I was very happy with my service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:35 PM