IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Picking a data plan, Whatever shall I choose?
switchy85
post Oct 1 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,019
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Other

Ok, so I finally bought my new phone. I purchased an SP3i yesterday and the 1gig card to go in it. Now I just have to figure out how I want to use it's interent capabilities.
I'm sadly stuck with AT&T for a little while longer, and I'm wondering which plan I should get. As I've read on here I can get mMode for the phone and I should be able to visit both WAP and HTML sites using mMode. What I really would like to know is:
1. What are the plans available? (As finding any info online is useless since AT&T doesn't exist on the internet anymore, Cingular has taken over every page)
2. Which one should I get? Is the $24.99 really worth it for unlimited? I plan to use the phone to browse the web periodically through the day, as well as probably checking email and such. I may even use it with my laptop (Using some of the ways shown on Modaco). If I ever use it for the laptop it will be very rare anyway, since I rarely carry it around with me except on trips to California (I'm in AZ).

I think I've seen that there is a 1M, 2M, 4m, 8m, and some higher than that for purchase from ATT, will any of these be enough or should I just shell out for the unlimited? Any help would be apprecaited, as I get the phone friday. biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance for any info!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 1 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

While I have never had AT&T, I always choose to go with an unlimited plan. That way you never have to count kb to be sure you are under your limit. I think that just makes the whole web browsing experience on a phone more enjoyable when I am not worried every time I get on.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
switchy85
post Oct 1 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Oct 1 2005, 07:41 AM)
While I have never had AT&T, I always choose to go with an unlimited plan.  That way you never have to count kb to be sure you are under your limit.  I think that just makes the whole web browsing experience on a phone more enjoyable when I am not worried every time I get on.

Do you think it is worth the $24.99, though? I'd be willing to pay the $19.99 offered by every other company on the planet, but I dunno about an extra $5. Maybe I'll try it out for a month and then see my data usage, then go from there.

For the ATT data users out there: Do you get locked into a data plan for a certain amount of time? Or can you change/cancel the plan whenever you want? I'm pretty sure you can change/cancel it, but I can't remember.

+Quote Post
franman
post Oct 2 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 1,736
Phone: Cingular 8125

I've been ATT user for years... just ported to Cingular.. I have found that you can change your data plan at will. They do not lock you in for any period, just have to maintain your contract for the pre-agreed period to avoid penalties. For that matter, you can change your voice plan anytime as well. They never gave me any problems with that... but regarding the Port to Cingular, it would have been a good time to do it. They probably would have let you do it without charges for new SIM or anything and Cingular has the rollover on minutes on most of their plans... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Franman
Westchester, NY
My Gadgets:
Cingular 8125 PPC, 1G MiniSD, Jabra BT500.
Jabra SP5050 Bt Speaker Phone
Backups:
SMT 5600 (unlocked) 512 MiniSD
MPX-200
Ipaq 3975 with Ivie IE-33 RTA
and Navman SE GPS Sleeve.
iPod Nano 4G

+Quote Post
switchy85
post Oct 2 2005, 03:45 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (franman @ Oct 1 2005, 08:16 PM)
I've been ATT user for years... just ported to Cingular.. I have found that you can change your data plan at will. They do not lock you in for any period, just have to maintain your contract for the pre-agreed period to avoid penalties. For that matter, you can change your voice plan anytime as well. They never gave me any problems with that... but regarding the Port to Cingular, it would have been a good time to do it. They probably would have let you do it without charges for new SIM or anything and Cingular has the rollover on minutes on most of their plans... biggrin.gif

Trust me, if I could have switched to Cingular during that whole thing I would have; sadly I am in a family plan with other people and the phone I had and the phone another person had would have to be unlocked first. This owuld have cost extra money that we didn't have at the time.
However, now I will have my new unlocked phone, and they both have unlocked phones as well. If only we would have had the extra money before. *Sigh* Oh well.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going to get the unlimited and then just look at my usage and go from there. ^*&&, if I get enough usage out of it, it may be well worth it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:15 AM