IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cingular told me the following tonight..., Unlocked SMT 5600 VS. The Cingular SIM
zeke009
post May 25 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,504
Phone: Cingular 8125
Carrier: Alltel

For all those who have unlocked phones and have Cingular SIM cards, do you experience anything where the carrier is always AT&T Wireless and your roaming icon is on? I have a Nation Wide plan, but I don't care. I do not want my phone to show me AT&T and I do not want to see the roaming icon.

Backgrounf info:

5/21 - I bought a Audiovox SMT 5600 (AT&T locked) phone, get it home and charge it up and put my AT&T SIM card in just to mess around with it. Works great, runs great, it is great! I hit Florin's IMEI service and unlock the SMT 5600 and head for the local Cingular store.

**my AT&T SIM showed my network as Cingular and didn't roam prior or after unlocking the SMT 5600**

The guy at Cinuglar gives me a blank SIM and says it would be quicker to call from home since the store was so busy. So off I go... back to my house.

I call and convert my account and all that from AT&T to Cingular, an hour later I see a text on the SMT 5600 saying conversion complete. That's when I noticed the AT&T wireless network and the roaming icon. Cingular SIM reads AT&T Wireless and roams non-stop.

5/22 - I go back to the store and the guy says, who cares... you have a nation plan. Nice attitude. I'm not paying for a half-assed service here.

5/24 - I call tonight and the nice lady (she really was nice!) tells me the same thing... who cares, you have a nation plan. Once again I say, I thought I was paying for more than a half assed service here.

Then she tells me that because I unlocked my phone, it will not read the 64k Cingular SIM properly and will never show me Cingular and instead will always show me AT&T Wireless and roaming.
----------------
Is this true? Does unlocking the SMT 5600 cause the above? If so, I'll quit bitching about it. If that is not true, I'll hit the store again and change SIMs.

--------------------
Current Device: Cingular 2125
Retired Devices: Audiovox SMT5600, MPx-200
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post May 25 2005, 02:57 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

QUOTE (zeke009 @ May 24 2005, 09:48 PM)
Is this true?  Does unlocking the SMT 5600 cause the above?  If so, I'll quit bitching about it.  If that is not true, I'll hit the store again and change SIMs.

I would credit it more to the phone than to the unlocking. They are really just telling you things to get you off their case since most of them are pretty clueless. i.e., You did something to your phone, not sure what, but that is the cause of all your problems from here on out. Sorry that I can't really confirm that they are full of it, but it just doesn't make sense that unlocking has anything to do with it considering that reading a 64 SIM would be hardware related, and unlocking does nothing to affect the hardware.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
TheSaint
post May 25 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,540
Phone: Blackjack

sad.gif I have kind of the same issue. Exept I purchased an unlocked i-mate sp3i. I have a Cingular SIM in my phone and I also see "AT&T" for service with the roaming carrot. I guess I'm not to worried about it. If it aint broke don't fix it. But if there is a fix out there I sure would like to know about it. Sorry I wasn't any help zeke009 but I feel your pain and any help out there would be appreciated. Thanks! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Current Mobile Phones: Samsung SGH-i320, i-mate SP3i

+Quote Post
zeke009
post May 25 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Well, I confirmed that what they said is true. It is the phone, I took my co-workers phone and placed my SIM in there and it worked fine and didn't show AT&T and roaming. Placed his SIM in my unlocked SMT 5600 and up came the roaming carrot and AT&T network.

I wonder what change Cingular made the line of SMT 5600's that they are selling on their website. I doubted Cingular because I've never seen a mention of this on any forum, not that I was looking for it.

As long as I'm not being charged for it, I really don't care. The phone still rocks though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ccuser
post Sep 18 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,041
Phone: MPx200

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ May 25 2005, 02:57 AM)
I would credit it more to the phone than to the unlocking.  They are really just telling you things to get you off their case since most of them are pretty clueless.  i.e., You did something to your phone, not sure what, but that is the cause of all your problems from here on out.  Sorry that I can't really confirm that they are full of it, but it just doesn't make sense that unlocking has anything to do with it considering that reading a 64 SIM would be hardware related, and unlocking does nothing to affect the hardware.

I like to ad my 2 cents.

I had same problem , i was using unlock ATT mpx200 . it was showing roaming icon and displaying att network. cingular was unable to help.

whats is the problem ? = phone you are using does not work on GSM 850 . It is most likely working on 1900 band . Cingular runs it own network only on 850. Since they bought ATT they use ATT's existing towers to run phones that are comapitble with only 1900. therefore it shows you are roaming on ATT network.

Year before now, Cingular did not even allowed to use 1900 band phones. I tried to use mpx 200 on cingular in sep. 2004 and it didn't even picked network of AT&T or tmobile as roaming. then I tried using it in Jan 2005 after the merge and it worked with little bugs.

Solution = you will need 850 band phone to get rid of roam and at&t network.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 18 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

That solution doesn't really solve zeke009's problem at all because he is using a SMT5600, which does have the 850Mhz band. There has got to be a different problem going on with the SMT5600 than that.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
zeke009
post Sep 18 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 18 2005, 03:55 PM)
That solution doesn't really solve zeke009's problem at all because he is using a SMT5600, which does have the 850Mhz band.  There has got to be a different problem going on with the SMT5600 than that.

I know I posted it here, but mysteriously my phone started displaying Cingular not too long after I posted here.

Now, if I can just stop dropping the phone I'll be golden!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ccuser
post Sep 18 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,041
Phone: MPx200

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 18 2005, 09:55 PM)
That solution doesn't really solve zeke009's problem at all because he is using a SMT5600, which does have the 850Mhz band.  There has got to be a different problem going on with the SMT5600 than that.

there are 2 verizon of tri-band smt5600 , one with 850 band (cingular brand) and one with 900.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/dev...e/americas.mspx

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 18 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

The version of the HTC Typhoon with the 900Mhz band isn't called the SMT5600. The SMT5600 ONLY have 850/1800/1900. There are other phones identicle to the SMT5600 (C500, SP3, etc.) that have the 900Mhz, but not the SMT.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
fowen
post Sep 20 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #10

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 591
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: None

QUOTE (zeke009 @ Sep 18 2005, 03:27 PM)
I know I posted it here, but mysteriously my phone started displaying Cingular not too long after I posted here.

Now, if I can just stop dropping the phone I'll be golden!

It musta knocked something loose one of the times you dropped it and that is why it started to work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hubono
post Oct 22 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,872

well here is my case and a solution. it should work if u r using wm2003se.

cingular reps have the capability to send some info packets to your fone. then you are required to remove the battery while fone is on, and leave the battery out for one minute or so.
what i think the packet does, it sends ENS info to your 64k sim.

my case:
wm5
attws 5600

situation 1:
wm2003se
attws 5600

no roaming, locks to cingular most time.

situation 2:
wm5
attws 5600

no roaming, locks to cingular most time.

situation 3:
wm5
attws 5600

roaming whether attws or cingular, locks to attws.

but two days ago, when i called to complain about the network issues, the rep said she will send some info to my fone and i have to do the above mentioned steps. now the fone locks to cingular, but the roaming sing is still there with a small g on top of it.

thus from my experience, if u have wm2003 and have cingular send u the ens info, ur fone should stop locking to attws and should stop roaming.

cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:03 PM