IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PPC4100 Firmware update, Anyone want to take the plunge?
kinggdogg
post Feb 18 2005, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,552
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Creative Zen

Found at SprintPCSinfo.com

ROM Dated Tuesday November 30th 2004.

Installer- January 17th, 2005.

The filename is SP230A_Refresh_Utility_0117.exe
My firmware is ver 0517.

I don't know if I'm gonna mess with this quite yet. Has anyone tried it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jr97ai
post Feb 20 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,467
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
Carrier: Other

QUOTE (kinggdogg @ Feb 18 2005, 06:06 AM)
Found at SprintPCSinfo.com

ROM Dated Tuesday November 30th 2004.

Installer- January 17th, 2005. 

The filename is SP230A_Refresh_Utility_0117.exe
My firmware is ver 0517.

I don't know if I'm gonna mess with this quite yet. Has anyone tried it?

Hello... first time posting here.. Just wanted to give a word to the wise to anyone that owns this device and has it unlocked. If you upgrade this rom the word out there is that it will once again become locked (assuming to AT&T). I saw this in what seems to be a post by someone and confirmed it with someone from Toronto ( one of the only people with unlocking method for PPC4100). I am curious to know what benefits or what the update does before I do it and pay to get my phone unlocked again.

+Quote Post
texasaggie1
post Feb 21 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,098

Yeah I tried it! My formerly UNLOCKED phone is now LOCKED! Don't do it!!!!

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Feb 21 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

QUOTE (texasaggie1 @ Feb 21 2005, 11:00 AM)

Did you get the update from AT&T or directly from Audiovox. Just happened to be checking their site last night and they seem to have a few different updates to include ROM for the PPC4100. I assume that they would be the same ROM's but when it comes to AT&T you can never be too sure...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
jr97ai
post Feb 22 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,467

QUOTE (texasaggie1 @ Feb 21 2005, 12:30 PM)

Yes I purchased the Audiovox from someone here in Canada as "unlocked". This guy is one of the only people in the world who knows how to unlock them remotely. It turns out that mine was unlocked from the beginning but whether you had it unlocked or it was unlocked (some of the original units were) the rom update locks it again. However, the rom update is supposed to make the unit faster and freeze less. All bonuses! This guy you can reach him at callme@rogers.com. You can pay him via pay pal and he gives you a file to replace on your pocket pc via active sync. This unlocks the device again. If you hard reset it relocks so you have to replace the file any time you rom upgrade or hard reset. But I believe its the only method. This guy is the real deal and he has lots of feedback on Ebay. The info I received on the firmware was from him.. I do trust him because he has connections at Audiovox.

Hope that helps.. oh by the way the price.. at least what I paid was 53 and something cents CANADIAN! so that makes it a great deal for US dollars.
Anyways.. hope this helps.

+Quote Post
broxman
post Feb 26 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,588

I purchased a new PPC4100 from AT&T wireless on Jan. 11, 2005 and the date of the ROM in it is Nov. 30, 2004. I see the ROM update that Audiovox has on their website as of Jan. 17. When I start the ROM update (without my PPC in the cradle) it says that the version of the udate is 1.6. Is this an update to my current ROM version. I assume it is since it was released after I purchased my PPC.

Hopefully, it will fix a couple of problems I'm having with the device. Sometimes the audio is not turned on for the phone - can't hear the other person and they can't hear me. A soft reset fixes that. The other problem is that sometimes I get a hard reset when I do a soft reset. Usually, tha's after using Activesync, my San Disk Wi-Fi SD card, or NYDITOT to get landscape mode.

Anybody have any experience or info on what the ROM udpate may fix. My phone is currently locked to AT&T so that's not going to be a problem or change for me.

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Feb 26 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,404

QUOTE (broxman @ Feb 26 2005, 09:27 AM)
I purchased a new PPC4100 from AT&T wireless on Jan. 11, 2005 and the date of the ROM in it is Nov. 30, 2004. I see the ROM update that Audiovox has on their website as of Jan. 17. When I start the ROM update (without my PPC in the cradle) it says that the version of the udate is 1.6. Is this an update to my current ROM version. I assume it is since it was released after I purchased my PPC.

Hopefully, it will fix a couple of problems I'm having with the device. Sometimes the audio is not turned on for the phone - can't hear the other person and they can't hear me. A soft reset fixes that. The other problem is that sometimes I get a hard reset when I do a soft reset. Usually, tha's after using Activesync, my San Disk Wi-Fi SD card, or NYDITOT to get landscape mode.

Anybody have any experience or info on what the ROM udpate may fix. My phone is currently locked to AT&T so that's not going to be a problem or change for me.

Since AT&T became Cingular late last year my guess would be that your unit was old stock. The rom update will most likely fix the audio problem for sure but I don't know about the hard reset problem. I will check tonight to see if I can figure out which rom is in my unit. My unit is still unlocked and I haven't had any problems with it so I am not going to upgrade at this time.

You may have a hardware issure because of the reset issue after using Activesync, etc.

Kevin

+Quote Post
faramisimo
post Apr 11 2005, 07:34 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,244

no matter where you get the rom update it will lock it to the at&t network.
if u want to unlock it again it can be easily done. just gotta know how.
my pda is up to date. i rarly have any problem with it freezing. i think they fixed a whole lot of bugs in it. i might be wrong though i never used the older roms yet.

+Quote Post
lakandula
post May 31 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,406
Phone: SMT5600
PocketPC: Dell

QUOTE (texasaggie1 @ Feb 21 2005, 08:00 AM)

I know the PPC4100 is old news around here, but I bought an ATT version of the device for $178 delivered at eBay. It was advertised as unlocked. It was locked when i got it. The seller sent me a .dll file which I copied into the PPC's Windows directory replacing an old one. This unlocked the device allowing me to use my ATT and Cingular sims. The bad part of this is that whenever I do a hard reset (or the backup battery ran out of juice) I have to copy the file again.

The device is not bad at all. It gets good reception caparable to my SMT5600. I wish it has a keypad. I am looking to get another one for me. My girlfriend has been using it the last few days and she likes it and decided to keep it for herself. I guess she'll give me back my old MPx200.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post May 31 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #10

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
MP3 Player: Creative
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

QUOTE (lakandula @ May 31 2005, 11:34 AM)
I know the PPC4100 is old news around here, but I bought an ATT version of the device for $178 delivered at eBay. It was advertised as unlocked. It was locked when i got it. The seller sent me a .dll file which I copied into the PPC's Windows directory replacing an old one. This unlocked the device allowing me to use my ATT and Cingular sims. The bad part of this is that whenever I do a hard reset (or the backup battery ran out of juice) I have to copy the file again.

The device is not bad at all. It gets good reception caparable to my SMT5600. I wish it has a keypad. I am looking to get another one for me. My girlfriend has been using it the last few days and she likes it and decided to keep it for herself. I guess she'll give me back my old MPx200.

First off I would get Sprite and use that to back everything up, but in the event that Sprite doesn't backup that .dll (it should). You should also copy it to your SD card so in the event you need to reset you can just use file manager to copy it over to the needed directory and you should be all set. That way incase you need to reset and you are on the road or away from your computer you won't be stuck with a locked phone.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Slay
post May 31 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,858

Sorry to enter this topic so late.

I talked to Audiovox tech support (UTStartcom), and they said that the release notes related to the firmware upgrade only indicated two changes to the firmware. The first change was to sharpen pictures displayed on the PPC4100. Apparently, the device had a blurry problem with pictures. Although, I've never noticed a problem.

The second change was to increase available memory. I'm not sure if this meant storage space or run-time memory.

That's all they information the tech rep had to offer. So, basically, it doesn't sound like anything was fixed that would prompt upgrading the firmware. For those not experiencing any problems on their PPC4100, it doesn't sound like it's worth upgrading the firmware.

Slay cool.gif

+Quote Post
lakandula
post Jun 2 2005, 02:50 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,406
Phone: SMT5600
PocketPC: Dell

QUOTE (GrYph0n® @ May 31 2005, 09:37 AM)
First off I would get Sprite and use that to back everything up, but in the event that Sprite doesn't backup that .dll (it should).  You should also copy it to your SD card so in the event you need to reset you can just use file manager to copy it over to the needed directory and you should be all set.  That way incase you need to reset and you are on the road or away from your computer you won't be stuck with a locked phone.

Thank you sir for the advice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:23 PM