Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,426
Phone: Dopod s300
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
MP3 Player: Creative

Hey MGNer's,

I just came across this site and it seems very friendly and helpful. And that's good because I could use some help biggrin.gif

I am a Cingular subscriber, my contract is up and I'm just on month-to-month now. I'd like to keep it that way, rather than signing my soul away under a new 2 year contract.

I came across the 2125/SDA and have seen the great reviews on it and am really impressed by this phone. I'd like to get the SDA since it has WiFi, and I'd like to avoid paying $19.99 a month for unlimited internet.

I don't want to switch to T-mobile because that again would result in being locked into a new 2 year contract. So it seems Ebay is about my only option to get this phone. Unless there are other options that you guys may know of. Also if anyone knows what the usual going price for this phone on ebay is I'd appreciate. So far unlocked ones are going for $200++, which is more then I'd like to spend if possible.

That also brings up another point of buying a locked phone and unlocking it myself. I saw mention that I might need T-mobile sim card to do that. But I don't have one myself, only Cingular. So that could be an issue.

Now for my last area of concern regarding the phone is the WiFi. I have a home WiFi router, which I have figured from others comments should work fine with this phone.

My biggest concern lies with my school WiFi. I go to UCLA and they use portal authentication to connect to their WiFi network. I'll give you the link to the info about it.
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/services/wireless/

Essentially the connection does not use WEP or WPA so you can connect fine. But you can't actually use the internet until you login to the authentication web page. They also have a means for PDA's to connect using a VPN connection. Here's the link to info on it.
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/services/vpn/pda/

So if there's anyone expierenced enough with this phone and/or networking who might be able to help me figure out if I'll be able to connect to the campus WiFi with this phone I'd greatly appreciate it.

So thanks in advance for any help!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 22 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Ebay is going to be the cheapest place to get one without signing a contract, and they do sell for $200+. If you really look and search and hunt, you can get one for less. I've seen them go for as low as $150 for less than perfect condition phones.

I believe you can do the free unlock method yourself without needing a T-Mobile SIM. My brother did it recently when he got a SDA, and I fairly certain he didn't have a T-Mobile SIM to use in the process.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Sep 22 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 8,753
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

Actually, in addition to Smeg36's comment, yes you will probably find an SDA for a cheap price, but also if you look carefully, you might find an SDA that is already unlocked. It happens every now and then. But you mention that you're in UCLA, so it is safe to assume that you know the area. Well, look for one of those cell phone stores that sell for multiple carries, you know what I mean. They might have a SDA unlocked and ready to go. Maybe. Because here in Houston, you don't have to go to a T-Mobile store to get a T-Mobile phone. Heck, there are about 8 cell phone stores around my block that deal with more than one carrier. I even have a cell phone store nearby that has all the Dopod, I-Mates, and occasionally Orange phones. He's a bit pricey but at least you're dealing in person rather than online.

Okay, I am done ranting.

+Quote Post
YodaJM
post Sep 22 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the responses so far.

What do you guys think of this auction on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A%3AIT&rd=1

He has 7 of them, and also an OBO option. Is $220 + shipping an okay price? Also what would be a decent Offer I could make him?

I'll check out some multi-carrier stores today. There is one about a block away, with a new one opening soon. So maybe I can find something there. What would be a fair price buying an unlocked on at one of these stores?

Also, is there a newer HTC model that'll be coming out soon, that is similar to this one? I'd hate to buy it just to have a better one come out in a month.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Sep 22 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #5

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 8,753
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

Looks pretty nice. Judging by the last ten sales, he is no stranger to smartphones. 50 sales with only neutral feedback here and there is a pretty good track record. Plus, the phone is already unlocked. I say sure, just make sure he offers shipping insurance and only deal with Paypal. See if $175 is a good offer, tell us what he says. Good sailing!

And as far newer HTC candybar-form smartphones, I don't know. Lately I've noticed that they have been making PDA's with phone feature and Blackberry style phones. They have the HTC Star Trek (AKA-Dopod S300/Cingular 3125) but is a flip phone and no Wifi. But it is the latest one.

This post has been edited by SkippyTheNurse: Sep 22 2006, 09:09 PM

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 22 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #6

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

Add SP5m to your eBay search as it is the same phone as the 2125/SDA. You might come up with something that way. Although, they are fewer and farther between and actually seem to be more expensive. BUT, you never know!! It's worth a look IMHO. The price generally is directly related to the condition of the phone. So, if you are willing to accept a few more scuffs etc. you can lower your price expectation. If you want a flawless phone you will pay a premium for it. Don't rush yourself into buying one and a good deal will probably turn up sooner or later.

Other options to eBay would be forums like this one. Sometimes members want to upgrade and sell their phones to other members rather than over at eBay. This way doesn't offer any of the protections you got on eBay like they and/or PayPal offer. If I went this route, I'd ONLY buy from someone I was VERY confident in. I'd judge that by seeing how long they've been a member and what kind of vibe I got off them by reading their posts. You might also see them talk about the phone their selling and be keyed into any problems it might be having. A prime example of what I'm talking about is on this site right now Gryphon is offering his Smartflip for sell. He is VERY highly regarded and I believe you could not go wrong purchasing his phone (bummer it's not an SDA wink.gif ).

I bought my SP5m off of eBay and it wasn't locked so I've never done that. But, from what I've read if does turn out you need a T-Mo SIM to unlock it you could just borrow a friend's. I'm here in SoCal too and it wouldn't be hard for me to find a friend or co-worker who's a T-Mo customer. However, I think Smeg is right and it won't be an issue at all.

Regarding UCLA's network (U ...C ...L ...A ...U ..C ..L ..A ...U.C.L.A.!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOO BRUINS!!! Huskies are goin' down tomorrow!!! laugh.gif tongue.gif wink.gif cool.gif ) Ahem, where was I? Oh yea, as you're walking around campus (or, anywhere in Westwood) watch out for someone using an SDA. Go up and ask them what you want to know about using it with the school's network. They will be able to tell you more than we can since we have no experience with it. OR...go to the T-Mo store right there in Westwood and ask them how it works with the school's network. They should be able to help you. Tell them you're still researching what phone you want and don't feel compelled to buy from them if that's not what you want to do. That's what I'd do. I'd ask an actual student SDA user first...T-Mo store second.

Regarding the auction you linked to, I notice a couple things "interesting" to note. The accessories that he shows come with his phone are all standard EXCEPT the headset does not appear to be a stereo headset and clearly the software CD is not OEM. He mentions some cool sounding stuff on that CD. But, I'm wondering if it has the ClearVue suite that comes with T-Mo SDA phones (so you can VIEW MS Word, Excel, PP files)? That particular program is available to you as a free download in a couple places IF (BIG IF) the phone has the required T-Mo ROM on it. As I mentioned above, my phone is an i-mate SP5m and so it has the i-mate ROM on it. I cannot put the "free" ClearVue program on my phone 'cuz it verifies the ROM before you upload. Mine is a no go. So, that's something maybe worth asking about if it's important to you. Besides that, it comes with an extra battery that does not come in the box if you buy directly from T-Mo. So, if both batteries are brand new, that's a nice perk! If you're gonna be wifi-ing you're gonna use up some serious battery juice! A fully charged battery will give you about 2 hours of wifi before you'll need to recharge. I had the MPx220 before this phone, and it felt like it charged quicker. This phone seems to take awhile to charge up if it's completely dead...or anywhere close to it. A second battery would be sweet.

Regarding any newer phones coming out soon that you'd regret not holding out for...wifi is the kicker here. There are some new SmartPhones on the way and a few of them do have wifi (there's a Samsung and HTC that come to mind) BUT you will not buy them for a few hundred dollars. They will be much more dinero mi amigo.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
YodaJM
post Sep 23 2006, 07:00 AM
Post #7

I sent the guy in that auction a question about the CD and the ClearVue software. Asking if it has it or some other alternative for viewing Word, Excel, and PDF docs. Thats not a big deal to me as I don't need it for business or anything.

Is there an alternative program I can use instead of the Free ClearVue?

I'll send an offer once I get an answer.

I also went around to a few cell stores today. Only found one that sold phones (and unlocked ones) but they didn't have a clue about the SDA.

I also went to a T-mo store to just hold the phone and see how it felt. The demo model had buttons that seemed very clicky. Is that how the phone is, or is it just likely because it's a demo model?

I also called the Westwood store about using the WiFi at UCLA and they pretty much had no clue.

Won't be on campus till next week, and even then finding someone with an SDA will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I also have been looking for the sp5m, but have only seen a small number of them and they are usually about $400. So unless a cheap one pops up thats not really an option.

Thanks again for the help. The search will continue!

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 23 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I want to make clear what I said about the ClearVue software 'cuz it seems something got lost in translation. IF ClearVue is not on the CD he's providing BUT the phone he is selling has an official T-Mo ROM on it...then YOU can download the program for free from a couple different sites. IF the phone he's selling does not have an official T-Mo ROM on it, then you can download an official T-Mo ROM and flash your phone. Once that is done, then you can load the ClearVue suite of programs for viewing MS Office files onto your phone. If looking at MS Office files are not important to you...then disregard all of the above. smile.gif I haven't flashed my phone, so it's running the i-mate ROM it came with. I've been very happy with it and have seen no reason to change it. I've read several T-Mo SDA users who have flashed to the i-mate ROM. I can't remember why they did, but they seemed happy they'd done so. But, of course, they lost their right to install a free copy of the CV suite. There are other differences as well, I just haven't gotten around to looking into them yet.

Regarding clicky keys...I've noticed that too with several of the new phones. I was watching a video showing the Q in action and it was clicking. Then I watched a video for one of the new Samsung's coming and it was clicky too! I did the same as you and went to a T-Mo store to check out the SDA and as it turns out the dummy phone on display was clicky as well. My actual SP5m is not as noticeably clicky as the dummy was...but it is clicky. My MPx220 did not make the noise these new phones are making! That said, you get used to it fast and I don't notice the sound anymore. The sound isn't loud enough to disturb anyone else I don't think. I guess it depends on where you'll be using your phone? I wouldn't suggest texting during a quiet scene of a movie while at the theater for example.

Drag that the T-Mo store was useless concerning how their product works on campus. I've had no luck with the ones by me either concerning anything I've ever gone in there asking about.

My suggestion to look for SP5m phones too was just to bring in more search results. I did mention they tend to be more expensive. BUT, you never know what's gonna show up! What seems like not an option now, might just be your next phone if a good deal presents itself.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
YodaJM
post Oct 6 2006, 05:26 AM
Post #9

Well I finally got one!
I got a buy-it-now for $160
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150039499925

The guy was out of town or something so thats why it took so long. But it only took 2 days to get to me once he sent it.

Of course the phone wasn't unlocked like he said in the description. But I did the free unlocked and the phone was unlocked in just a few minutes!

Haven't had much time to spend with the phone yet. But I checked out the WiFi on my home network and it was a snap to set up.

Tomorrow I'll find out if it works on campus at UCLA *crosses fingers*

But with the very little time I've spent with the phone, I'm already quite impressed. Can't wait to use it more.

Quick q: Is there a way to lock the keypad, besides pressing the power button and then 4?

Thanks again all!

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 6 2006, 06:10 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

You should be able to lock the keypad by pressing and holding the red end call button.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 6 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

What Smeg said...AND if you want a free program that'll lock your keypad for you there's AutoLock which you can download here:
http://surrealnetworks.com/mpx/SDAapps.htm

That site is very useful for SDA owners. There you'll find many goodies (read: FREEBIES). For reg edits as well as apps for both SDA and MDA start here:
http://surrealnetworks.com/mpx/

Glad to read you got your phone and that you're pleased with it! Good luck on campus!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:07 PM