Rating Legend

1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Smeg36
Review Date / October 13th, 2005

If you already read my Bluespoon 5G review, you would know I love the Nextlink Bluespoon line of headsets, including the AX. I used, and loved, the AX for a while. There were only a few minor flaws to it; slightly clunky design (the multifunction button would clank around), not the greatest battery life, and average range. So Nextlink, in their infinite innovation, designed the AX2. Everything about it looks like the original AX. To an unknowing consumer, they would be the exact same headset. The build and features is where the AX2 differs from the original AX.

Attached Image

Nextlink took their already great headset, and fixed every problem I ever read anyone having with the AX. The multifunction button is now solid and secure. There is no clunkiness to this headset. It is solid as a rock that has lots of little electronic bits inside.

Attached Image

Another complaint with the original AX that I both read about, as well as had first hand experience with, was a brittle casing. A drop even from your desk to the floor could chip the AX casing. Well, for the greater good I performed several drop tests on the AX2. The casing must be a different composition because it stood up to my drops without a scratch.

Attached Image

One of the things Nextlink definitely got right with the AX2 is battery life. The spec sheet they sent me with the AX2 indicates and estimated battery life of 8 hours of talk time, and 500-1500 hours of standby time from a single 2 hour charge. While I didn’t perform any scientific formulated tests, I was able to use it for a week and a half between charges. I make at least ½ hour of calls a day, and turn my headset off when not in use. I was very impressed, to say the least, with the battery life.

Attached Image

Another great improvement of the AX2 is the range. The spec sheet rates the range at 10-15 meters. I think that is an understatement, but didn’t do any rigorous testing to prove it. The AX got average range with most devices I used it with. With my Samsung i730 it got horrible range, which should be blamed more on the i730’s Bluetooth than the AX. I couldn’t even turn my head without getting static. With the AX2, I can go anywhere in my apartment and still get a clear signal. The range is amazing. I can run into the gas station and leave my phone in the car, and still pick up clear calls. Even walls can’t stop the AX2. It can leap a building in a single bound! Well, I guess not that far, but it is pretty great.

Attached Image

A new feature added to the AX2 over the AX is the inclusion of Bluetooth V1.2. The AX is only V1.1. V1.2 is compatible with V1.1, but also has many added features when used with a V1.2 phone. Sadly, all my devices are still V1.1 (come on USA, get with the times!), so I wasn’t able to test out any of the additional V1.2 features.

Attached Image

As with the AX, the AX2 uses Nextlink’s soft spring to hold the headset in the ear. I can’t stress enough how much I love the soft spring. It is by far the most comfortable way to hold a headset in the ear. No hooks, no disproportionate weight distribution, no nothing. It is just comfortable. I often forget I have it on. Its light weight and small size, combined with the soft spring, makes the AX2 one of the most comfortable headsets out there.

Attached Image

The AX2 is charged using an included USB to 4-pin miniUSB cable. The battery is user replaceable, so you can get a spare if the 8 hours of talk time isn’t enough for you (although I can’t imagine that ever happening). This also means that when the rechargeable battery no longer holds a charge, it will be simple and easy to replace.

Attached Image

As with all Nextlink Headsets, the AX2 comes very professionally packaged. It comes in an easy to open blister pack with the headset, USB/miniUSB cable, 2 different sized soft springs, the AX2 user’s guide, AX2 quick start guide, and a lanyard that can plug into the miniUSB port of the headset to wear around the neck.

Attached Image

I have one, and only one, complaint with the AX2. And my complaint is actually a result of one of my favorite features of Nextlink headsets. I really like the loud volume Nextlink gives their headsets. I have slightly bad hearing, and think the louder a headset is the better. The AX2 can go pretty loud. I really like that. The person calling me doesn’t feel the same way. While the call is crystal clear and super loud on my end, the caller can head an echo of themselves. I have found that if I turn the headset down 2-3 notches from max, the echo goes away completely. I can still hear the caller no problems at 2-3 notches below max, and the caller no longer had any echo, so it all works in the end. However, I am always tempted to turn the volume up to max just because I know it can go louder.

Attached Image

One other complaint that some may have, but I don’t, is the touchy mic on the AX2. I only use my headset while in my car with all windows up or at home. I don’t really use it outside or in busy environments. I have noticed while walking from the car that any slight gust of wind gets amplified like crazy. Even a little wind will render talking unhearable. You have to balance the features you want in a headset I guess. In order to pick up your voice at all with such a small headset, the mic must be amplified. The drawback to this is it doesn’t discern between your voice and someone else’s near you. As I said, this isn’t really a complaint of mine, but some people may be bothered by it.

Attached Image

Overall, I think Nextlink has hit another home run. They continue to impress with each new release, and the AX2 is no exception. Its small size, enhanced features, amazing battery life, and unheard of range make the AX2 my headset of choice. At least until Nextlink release a new one! There are a couple minor glitches, but they really don’t dissuade me from recommending the AX2 to almost everyone. Those who drive convertibles or work outdoors may want to look elsewhere, but for everyone else the Nextlink Bluespoon AX2 has an expected release of mid-late October.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FiReBReTHa
post Oct 14 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,108

I have the same issue with my moto HS850, if the volume is all the way up serious issues with echo. argggggg.....

+Quote Post
Gunr
post Nov 11 2005, 05:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,750
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell

I just picked one of these up today, have not used it yet, still charging. Damn this thing is small. Anyway, I had a hard time finding one, could not find it online or on Ebay. Did a Google search today and found out that Radio Shack of all places is carrying it for $79! I drove down to my local RatShack and they were so new that they still had them in the back and had not put them out yet. Mine also came with the A/C Charger, didn't state it on the package, and in every review that I had read, none of them stated that it came with the charger, so I guess it was a bonus! Just thought I would mention where I picked one up if others were having a hard time finding one.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 11 2005, 06:03 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I just noticed yesterday that Radio Shack has them available. That is a good price for them to. Who'd a thunk Radio Shack would have a cool product at a good price! Nextlink did tell me that the retail packages would come with either a usb cable or a wall charger. Evidentally, the Radio Shack package comes with the wall charger. I personally think I would rather have a wall charger.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gunr
post Nov 11 2005, 07:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,750
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
PocketPC: Dell

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 11 2005, 12:03 AM)
I just noticed yesterday that Radio Shack has them available.  That is a good price for them to.  Who'd a thunk Radio Shack would have a cool product at a good price!  Nextlink did tell me that the retail packages would come with either a usb cable or a wall charger.  Evidentally, the Radio Shack package comes with the wall charger.  I personally think I would rather have a wall charger.

It actually came with both, the USB and the wall charger. I went back and re-read the packaging, guess I was too excited to open the package earlier and did not notice in small print that it does state that it comes with both.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 11 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Well, that is usefull. Nextlink is great. They always continue to improve their own products, and offer more than expected.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ukyo
post Nov 15 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,209

Mine has the "clunkiness" though... the TALK button is very loose and shakes around making noise when I'm wearing it... did i get a bad one?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 15 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

I responded to your post here already. I would say get a replacement. It shouldn't shake or move around at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rebecca
post Nov 27 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,604
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Acer

I bought an AX2 in Radio Shack and when shaken it sounds like a maraca. The button is completely loose.

I exchanged it in another Radioshack store and an the replacement also has a loose button.

Aditionally the reception has been horrible. If I have the phone on my belt and there is something in between like my arm a lot of static is heard. Maximum distance I have been able to get is about 5 feet. (I am using it with an SMT 5600)

Are the sets sold in radioshack deffective?

This post has been edited by Rebecca: Nov 27 2005, 05:13 PM

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 27 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Well, I haven't tried the retail Radio Shack headset, or with a SMT5600. But you aren't the first to state the issues you are having. I guess it is possible a bad batch got shipped out. I used my AX2 with the i730 (notorious for crappy BT range), and could use it through three walls in my apartment. I would write directly to Nextlink and see what their responce is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rebecca
post Nov 28 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #11

I contacted support@bluespoons.com and they never answered.

When I contacted support@nextlink.to:

They replid that the reception problem is due to the phone.
About the button they say it is normal as long as it does not affect reception mad.gif

I have heard of other people using the AX2 with the SMT 5600 and getting 30 or more feets of good reception (I can only get 1 foot).

I am waiting for a second response from them.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 28 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

One thing you can try to help improve range is pair it from across the room, or in another room. I always pair my headsets with a wall between them, or across a room. I'm not exactly sure if it even helps, but it seems to make the range better, and decrease any static there might be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 28 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #13

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 28 2005, 12:02 PM)
One thing you can try to help improve range is pair it from across the room, or in another room.  I always pair my headsets with a wall between them, or across a room.  I'm not exactly sure if it even helps, but it seems to make the range better, and decrease any static there might be.

Interesting concept. Has anyone else tried this? Does it work? Is Smeg just a madman?

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
Rebecca
post Nov 29 2005, 01:15 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Sean @ Nov 28 2005, 12:05 PM)
Interesting concept.  Has anyone else tried this?  Does it work?  Is Smeg just a madman?

It didn't worked sad.gif

Bud definitely Smeg is not a madman biggrin.gif

I received an answer from Bluespoons.com, they also state that the headsed should have a longer range of coverage and no rattling.

Does anyone knows of another place to purchase this set online besides Radioshack?

Thanks

+Quote Post
fzara2000a
post Nov 29 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,609

I also got the headset from Radio Shack.

Have exactly the same problems (also using an Audiovox SMT).

The button is way loose and rattles even when just walking or moving my head slighly.

Also the reception on mine is about 10 feet but afther separating the headsed more than two feed apart a lot of static is heard.

If I put the phone on the belt I have to bend in order for the earpice to work without static.

What's wrong with RadioShack? I also tried exchanging and got a set in worse condition.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 29 2005, 01:33 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Some phones and headsets just don't like to play well together. When I had a SMT5600, it worked great with all headsets. My i730 is very picky about which headsets it will work with though. Previous Nextlink headsets had lots of static with the i730. The AX2 worked great though. Maybe whatever they changed in the BT stack with the AX2 makes it work poorly with the SMT5600. That still wouldn't explain the rattle in the multi-function button. As I said, I didn't have a Radio Shack version, and mine was solid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzara2000a
post Nov 29 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #17

Smeg:

Is there another small headset you recommend?

I need a small bluethoot headset badly.

Thanks.

And by the way I heard of other peple with different phones also having problems with the AX2 purchased in Radioshack not just Audiovox phones.

Also in another review of the AX2 the reviewer used the Audiovox SMT 5600 and got 40+ feet of good reception. So it is not the phone.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 29 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

You could try out the Plantronics 640. It isn't as small as the AX2, the battery life isn't rated as long, and the range isn't supposed to be as far, but it is a great headset.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ukyo
post Nov 30 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,209

Ok I just got off the phone w/ the rudest customer service rep I have ever spoken to... I sent back the AX2 and requested another one since it rattles and received one back today but it still rattles a lot. I sent them an email asking if they even bothered trying to find me one that doesn't rattle and someone called me back and said it's not their fault and their company should not be penalized for it which I totally understand but they didn't even bother emailing me back or contacting me earlier and letting me know so and ask if I would like a full refund or whatnot. He said they deal w/ "thousands" of orders so they don't have time to do that for me. And his exact words were "You bought a $60 headset not a Mercedes, what do you expect?" Granted there's a huge difference but is that something you would tell a customer? His attitude needed adjusting as well and I told him that. Even if I purchased a $1 item, customer service should always be friendly. And here's the kicker... after we finished talking, he actually called me right back and started to pull my company into it! He stated that if I used my company's name and shipping address then he has the "right" to complain about my company's customer service. I don't even work in my company's customer service dept so I told him if he has a complaint, he can contact my that dept. That was extremely petty of him. I will be returning my entire order for a full refund less their highway robbery restocking fee of 20% and shipping. On top of that I actually preordered it for around $90 which they didn't even bother reducing that price even though their site not list the AX2 for much less.

This is the site I ordered from and although their prices are fairly good, their customer service is horrible. And I'm sure it's a fairly small company so their customer service is probably only 3 people max.

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/

In other news, I actually bought one from RadioShack and it doesn't rattle AS much but it still does but I can deal w/ it rattling here and there but I also bought the Plantronics 640 Discovery and I highly recommend it over the AX2... not as small but quality is great and tons of extras and the holder even vibrates when someone calls you!

+Quote Post
fzara2000a
post Dec 4 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Ukyo @ Nov 30 2005, 10:37 PM)
Ok I just got off the phone w/ the rudest customer service rep I have ever spoken to... I sent back the AX2 and requested another one since it rattles and received one back today but it still rattles a lot.  I sent them an email asking if they even bothered trying to find me one that doesn't rattle and someone called me back and said it's not their fault and their company should not be penalized for it which I totally understand but they didn't even bother emailing me back or contacting me earlier and letting me know so and ask if I would like a full refund or whatnot.  He said they deal w/ "thousands" of orders so they don't have time to do that for me.  And his exact words were "You bought a $60 headset not a Mercedes, what do you expect?"  Granted there's a huge difference but is that something you would tell a customer?  His attitude needed adjusting as well and I told him that.  Even if I purchased a $1 item, customer service should always be friendly.  And here's the kicker... after we finished talking, he actually called me right back and started to pull my company into it!  He stated that if I used my company's name and shipping address then he has the "right" to complain about my company's customer service.  I don't even work in my company's customer service dept so I told him if he has a complaint, he can contact my that dept.  That was extremely petty of him.  I will be returning my entire order for a full refund less their highway robbery restocking fee of 20% and shipping.  On top of that I actually preordered it for around $90 which they didn't even bother reducing that price even though their site not list the AX2 for much less.

This is the site I ordered from and although their prices are fairly good, their customer service is horrible.  And I'm sure it's a fairly small company so their customer service is probably only 3 people max. 

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/
In other news, I actually bought one from RadioShack and it doesn't rattle AS much but it still does but I can deal w/ it rattling here and there but I also bought the Plantronics 640 Discovery and I highly recommend it over the AX2... not as small but quality is great and tons of extras and the holder even vibrates when someone calls you!

That company is a one man show and he is very rude and unprofessional with customers.

I purchased a defective set at RadioShack (rattle, just 2 feet range with SMT 560) and asked the Zoovy.com customer support politely if the ones they had rattled or not and and explained that there are some headsets that have the rattling problem here is his answer:

"Yeah, I think the headset is a piece of junk but people buy it so what is a
retailer supposed to do when it sells so well?"

The pice of junk is that store and their customer service.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:46 AM