Rating Legend

1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Smeg36
Review Date / July 8th, 2005

A few weeks ago, JAVOedge posted an announcement for their newSMT5600 and O2 Xphone2/i-mate SP3i JAVOSkin and JAVOSkin bundles. They were kind enough to furnish me with a JAVOSkin bundle for my i-mate SP3i to review.

Attached Image

The package shipped on a Wednesday, and arrived on Friday. I was very pleased with the fast shipping, especially since I live across the country! The JAVOSkin bundle includes the skin case, and three screen protectors. They have bundles available for many different phones and PDAs, including the SMT5600.

Attached Image

The screen protectors come in a package with a cleaning cloth, application instructions, a small card to smooth out any bubbles, and the three protectors. You may ask yourself “Why do I need a screen protector for my phone? Furthermore, why do I need three of them?”. You would be asking a good question. You need the protector because the skin, while it protects most of the phone, leaves the screen open. This is a good thing because you don’t want a blurry case covering your screen, deteriorating the quality. So to ensure maximum protection of the phone, putting a screen protector on it will leave very little unprotected. The protectors are the anti-glare variety, so it also makes the screen much easier to view in sunlight. It also makes it much easier to clean your face juices off the screen after a call, which can be difficult with a bare screen. “But why three of them?” you still ask. To answer that, I will explain something about myself. I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to the screen on my devices. Thus, I am very ambivalent about screen protectors. I love them when I can get every spec of dust out from behind it, and it applies perfectly. If there is an edge that won’t stay stuck to the screen, it drives me nuts. The first screen protector I tried from the package of three had edges that wouldn’t stay down. It probably would have been acceptable for most people, but I couldn’t stand it. So I tired another of the protectors. The second one from the package did much better, and I can live with it. There are still a couple small areas where the protector isn’t sticking, but it is barely noticeable.

Attached Image

The JAVOSkin case is a rubbery silicon material that is molded to the shape of the device, an i-mate SP3i in my case. It came packaged in a easy to open blister pack, no knives or scissors involved. The skin is about 1mm thick, so it will make your device increase by 2mm in length, width, and depth. The size difference between a bare phone, and a phone in the case is very negligible. It is one of the most form fitting, slimmest cases I have ever used for any of my devices. The silicon is also a very protective material. It will protect your phone from scratches, and is shock absorbent to protect against falls.

Attached Image

The phone is inserted into the case through the screen hole, starting at the bottom of the phone and working your way up to the top. The silicon is very stretchy, and fitting it around the phone is an easy process. Once the phone is inserted and the case is adjusted to fit properly, you have full access to all the phones features.

Attached Image

The front of the case has an opening for the screen, which is protected by our JAVOscreen protector. There is also an opening for the joystick, and the ambient light sensor. The joystick is hindered slightly by the 1mm of case surrounding it. It is a little more difficult to move the joystick around, buy I got used to the difference very quickly. All the buttons have raised moldings in the silicon so you can still feel where all the buttons are with the case on. Very little tactile feedback is lost with the case on, and I could still find most of the buttons without having to look at the phone. You can still feel all the ridges for the number buttons, as well as the bump of the left and right soft keys.

Attached Image

The back of the case has an opening cut out for the camera and the mirror. All the cutouts on the case match perfectly with the location on the phone. We also see the JAVOedge logo printed on the back of the case.

Attached Image

The left side has raised moldings for the volume up/down button.

Attached Image

The right side has a raised mold for the camera button.

Attached Image

The top of the case has a raised mold for the power button. It also has a cutout for the speakerphone.

Attached Image

The bottom has a cutout to allow for charging, the headphone jack, and the call microphone hole.

The case does not, however, come with any sort of belt clip, so it is strictly an in the pocket case. The JAVOSkin for larger devices, like Pocket PCs, does have a belt clip option. This is one of the main things I really wish could have been integrated with the case. I prefer to carry my phone on the outside of my pants pocket, and can’t do so with this case. Another drawback of the case is its tendency to attract dust. This is especially true if you place it in your pocket. The case is very grippy, which is good because it will prevent accidental drops. But it also grips dust and lint. This is easily fixed by simply blowing the dust off temporarily. Alternately, you could grab a piece of tape and press the sticky side to the case, removing the dust with the tape. The best method for dust removal is washing it in water (after you remove your device of course). Another result of the grippy nature of this case is an increased difficulty removing it from your pants. If you are wearing tight pants, it will be a little harder to get the phone in and out of your pocket.

Overall, I really like this case. If there was one case I had to use, it would be this one. It works great, particularly for those who place their phone directly in their pocket or are prone to fumbles. It protects from drops and scratches, and leaves all the functions accessible without adding much bulk to the phone. All JAVOSkin and JAVOSkin bundles, as well as numerous other great products, can be purchased from the JAVOedge Website.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
187cop
post Aug 15 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,874
Phone: SPV
Carrier: T-Mobile

This seems like the one for me! I am terribly prone to fumbles, and I drop my phone a lot too. Do you think this protector could save my phone from being dropped out of the second floor window? Only one way to know for sure, I guess.

Thanks for a good review.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Aug 15 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

OK, here's what we'll do. You go ahead and begin the scientific testing of dropping it out a second floor window. I'll be the control group and not drop it out the window to see if it breaks without being dropped. Let me know your results.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:26 AM