Rating Legend

1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Slacker
Review Date / February 6th, 2008

You just spent several hundred dollars on your new Windows Mobile device. It has capabilities other cell phones only dream about: email, web browsing, games, video, photos, and much more. You plan to carry it with you everywhere you go. It will be a well used device for sure. What happens when you drop it? Will your device survive the fall? Will it still function after you put the pieces back together? All good questions, and all things you need to think about before you drop it!

There are cases of every type imaginable out there. Leather, vinyl, plastic, rubber, metal and carbon fiber are some of the materials these cases are made from. They can be form-fitting, drop-in, armor, waterproof, or many other type designs and all offer different types of protection. The protection you need depends on what device you have and how you intend to use it. We will take a look at one of the smallest cases available: the Boxwave Active Case. Here is what BoxWave has to say about the Active Case:

Active Case™ - AT&T Tilt

Design meets form and function. The crystal-clear AT&T Tilt Active Case enables you to view your calendar and contacts conveniently, reducing the hassle of having to open a case. It is designed with two independent pieces that allow the AT&T Tilt's keyboard to slide out normally without any hindrance, as if the case wasn't there!

Active Case Features:
  • Designed with 2 independent pieces that allow the AT&T Tilt's keyboard to slide out normally without any hindrance, as if the case wasn't there
  • Cut-out design for the keyboard so that you can keep the same tactile feel as using the AT&T Tilt without a case
  • Accessible opening provides quick access to button functions
  • Custom contoured shaped to perfectly fit to the shape of your AT&T Tilt
  • Solid construction protects your AT&T Tilt
  • Locks handheld securely into place
  • Stylish crystal-clear design
  • Includes a high quality, simple-to-use, and detachable belt clip (uses Swivel Belt Clip - Model B)
  • Available in smoke grey and crystal clear color

For this review I have the BoxWave Active Case for the AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) but BoxWave makes the Active Case for many different phone models. You can look at the full list of supported devices here.

BoxWave sent me a review sample so the packaging is pretty plain.

Attached Image

The contents of the case kit include a front and back shell, belt clip, belt clip tab and screw, and a black circular sticker. I chose not to use the belt clip but attaching it is as simple as putting in a screw. What I really like about this case is its low profile, enabling it to still fit in the stock case for the unbranded HTC TyTN II.

Attached Image

When I first saw the case on the BoxWave website I made an assumption that the case was held in place with adhesive but that is not the case. There are precisely placed tabs that grab your device in places that do not impact its operation but give the Active Case a good hold. This is highlighted example of one of those tabs. It is difficult to see because it is so small but it does work well to hold the case on the device.

Attached Image

So, what does the device look like with the case attached? Almost exaclty like the device without the case. This case is so form fitting it is difficult to look and see that the case is installed.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Every connector, button, wheel and jack are exposed by way of precise cutouts. The edges of the case are cut down so that they flow into the buttons making finding things a smooth and easy task. If you are used to operating your device without looking it may take you a little bit to get used to the new feel but the case actually makes it easier to find things blindly.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

BoxWave has cut openings for all possible devices so, for example, the case that fits the AT&T Tilt will have a front camera opening in it even though the Tilt does not have that camera. BoxWave provided the small circular sticker to cover the opening if you have a Tilt and do not like seeing it.

Attached Image

In addition to allowing access to all of the controls on the outside of the phone, this case allows unrestricted access to the sliding keyboard function as well! There are no snaps to undo or tricky mechanisms. You simply use the device as you would without the case. You can also see how thin the case is in this photo, adding very little to the device overall.

Attached Image

How well does the BoxWave Active Case protect the device? It is made from hard plastic and seems very tough. The surface is very smooth and can be slippery which may give you a chance to try out its protective capabilities. So far I have not actually dropped my device but I did throw the case pieces around a bit. As expected the plastic case gets marked up a bit when subjected to impact with brick or concrete but it did not break, leaving me to believe that at least cosmetically my device would have survived the impact.

If you are looking for a case to offer protection with a minimal amount of change to the device then try out the BoxWave Active Case. You can pick them up from the BoxWave website for under $30.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Feb 12 2008, 04:20 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Yes, I am still alive, but life is hectic right now. Anyway, to the point.

I just recieved my case for my Tilt, and it is just the thing I have been missing for my phone to make me feel better. My job is very demanding and physical, it was only a matter of time until something happened to damage my phone. I am pleased with the case as it, in my opinion, gives the phone a more solid feel. That and the fact that I have greater peace of mind with carrying it in my pocket, and the added "bulk" is minimal.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:03 AM