1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Smeg36
Review Date / October 8th, 2007

Intro

The Aliph Jawbone Bluetooth Headset is a common name among bluetooth users already. They have released just one bluetooth headset, which has reached worldwide acclaim in a short period of time. I've spent an extensive amount of time using this headset, along with others, and querying my callers about the quality of various headsets. I've also gathered unsolicited comments about sound quality from various headsets and phones. So do I think the Jawbone Bluetooth Headset lives up to the hype that has developed about this headset?

About Jawbone

For those of you who haven't read about the Jawbone Bluetooth headset, Aliph has this to say about their new technology:

Jawbone is the world’s first intelligent Bluetooth headset for mobile phone and
VoIP communications. Its advanced system of sensors, software and ergonomic
features allows it to accurately identify your speech, while its speakers adapt to
background noise so that you can hear and be heard, with exceptional clarity, at
all times.

Focusing on the voice user interface, Aliph has developed proprietary DSP-based
software that identifies speech and analyzes background noise at a rate of 380
times per second. Aliph’s technology enhances incoming audio and eliminates
background noise based on the user’s noise environment.

Basically there's a little rubbery nub that sits against your cheek. Using all that amazing technology they wrote about above, it tells when you're speaking and is supposed to cancel out all sound except for your voice.

Performance

So, does the Jawbone perform up to par? According to all the data I gathered, the Jawbone headset is among the highest quality options available for callers. I did testing in my car driving 70MPH on the highway with the stereo turned up so loud I couldn't hear myself talking, but the caller said they could hear me loud and clear, with a little background noise. That alone impressed me more than any single feature of any other headset I've used. I also received multiple comments from multiple callers asking what I had changed on my cell phone to increase the call quality. In those instances I was using the Jawbone headset instead of the phone or other headsets. Again, top marks for the Jawbone in terms of caller call quality.

I mention caller call quality because it wasn't as great on my end as the callers. I found the Jawbone to be slightly quiet and in need of a little boost in volume, even on the highest setting. This may have something to do with the poor fit of the Jawbone on my ear, which will be touch more upon in the comfort section. Although the sound was low, the quality of the sound was good.

Comfort

This was my biggest issue with the Jawbone. It just didn't feel comfortable on my ear. When I initially put it on it would fit great. After a few minutes of movement or talking the earpiece would slip out of my ear canal, and the headset would start flopping around. This would also cause low volume problems. I would have to hold the Jawbone in my ear canal in order to hear callers adequately. Aliph does include two different ear loop sizes for both right and left ears (a total of 4 ear hooks), and several different shaped earbuds. Even so, I couldn't find a combination that would fit properly to my ear. The standard earbud that was included with the headset was the closest to fitting, but it was just slightly too small. This is really the reason why the Jawbone gets 4 out of 5 stars in my review. If it fit properly I imagine it would be a perfect solution. And that's not to say it won't work for you, the reader. Everyone's ears are different size and shape. While it doesn't fit properly on my ear, many people find it very comfortable and a perfect fit.

Design

The design of the Jawbone is simultaneously very chic and cumbersome. I absolutely love the look of the headset, and the three color options; red, black, and silver. But at the same time it is rather large on the head. Compared to the Jabra JX10 or Plantronics Discover 665, the Jawbone is a mammoth. I suppose that's acceptable as long as it still looks good, which it does, and performs well.

Conclusion

So, of all the bluetooth headsets I've ever used, how does the Jawbone pony up? Well, I guess the best way to answer that is by saying I still use my Plantronics Discover 665 as my main headset. While the Jawbone does perform incredibly on the callers end, the comfort issues and low volume on my end out-weight that. I would love for my callers to have the best call possible, but not at the expense of my call quality. I really want the Jawbone to work for me, and have tried several different things to get the Jawbone to fit comfortably, but in the end have it sitting as a backup, just in case.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hightech
post Oct 9 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #2

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,092

You should try the blue ant Z9 very nice headset. I had the Jawbone it works to a point but it is too big.. Just my 2 cents..

--------------------
Cheers
<span style='color:blue'>Cingular 3125</span>
Think Outside BT KEYBOARD
Dell Axim X50v
JawBone bluetooth

+Quote Post
thomasz
post May 27 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,316

What an impressive intro! It deserves to try.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 27 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

There is actually a new Jawbone headset available. It's even better than the original. We'll be doing a review of it shortly.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
thomasz
post Jun 7 2008, 03:22 AM
Post #5

Great! It's interesting!

+Quote Post
thomasz
post Oct 28 2009, 04:13 AM
Post #6

Jawbone bluetooth headset ...that's really great....

+Quote Post
Guest_happygirl007_*
post Mar 4 2010, 07:35 AM
Post #7

Guests

Mac DVD Copy is definitely the simplest solution to copy and backup DVD movie on Mac. With Mac DVD Copy, you own the most efficient way to create backup copies of your DVD movie collection. copy DVD on Mac perfectly in 1:1 ratio, or to compress DVD9 to DVD5 disc is pretty steady, fast and easy. Mac DVD Cloner is a great tool which allows you to make a backup copy of a DVD movies that you own. With Mac DVD Cloner, you can copy DVD movie to DVD R/RW disc on Mac, directly burn to the target disc makes it really quick and easy to create DVD copies and backups.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:03 AM