IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Review :: WirelessGround AT&T 8525 Powered Car Mount, Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
omega2008
post Aug 19 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

Attached Image

WirelessGround AT&T Powered Car Mount
By - WirelessGround
MGN Rating:
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

Rating Legend
1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Reviewed By: Omega2008

August 19, 2007

Attached Image

If your like me you use your Pocket PC Phone for many things like email, surfing the web, editing documents, downloading applications, etc but some of us use it as a GPS navigator either by pairing up a Bluetooth GPS receiver or if your PPC has it, an internal GPS chip. I live in the city, and I use my AT&T 8525 paired with a Bluetooth Receiver heavily, so I was in need of a good quality car mount for my device so that I could use it with ease for navigation. I came across the WirelessGround Powered Car Mount that really seemed to be what I was looking for. I was looking for a mount that was adjustable, had a good quality suction cup for mounting it on my windshield, was able to charge my device/keep it powered when using it with my GPS, and a added hands free component that I could use if my Bluetooth headset died or I forgot to bring it. So today I will be going in depth about how well this mount performed for me, my likes, and dislikes and any improvements that I would like to see incorporated on the mount.

Quality:

Quality is important to me, especially when its holding a device that cost me a pretty penny. Not only that but the suction cup that mounts it to the window needs to be strong and able to handle the weight of the device and the movement of the car while driving. When I first unboxed the mount and gave it a look over I was happy to see that it had a very nice and strong suction cup, my thoughts were reinforced when I mounted it on my windshield and it tried had to move it, I was able to take it off without decompressing the suction cup but it took a lot of force and that's what I wanted. The construction of the mount is all plastic, it seems to be quite sturdy since I did drop it on the concrete when I first got it on accident and it didn't even phase it. The wire that comes from the cradle to the speaker/car charger is of nice quality too, it's not thin like some of the other car chargers I have seen. All in all the quality of the mount is acceptable and looks like it would last a long time, which is important to me since I don't want to be having to buy more of them.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Features:

This is the first powered mount that I have used, and on top of that it has a hands free system and a speaker. This is a great added bonus if you are using your phone as a GPS and you are not using a Bluetooth headset. When I used my PPC as a GPS the turn by turn directions from my device came out the speaker on the charger (see picture below) and sound clear and easy to understand, however I believe it was under powered and was not all that loud. In fact the speaker on my 8525 was louder and of course it's much smaller. I think more power needs to be directed to the speaker to make it louder. Also the built in mic on the cradle was not that sensitive, callers could hear me but not that well, I had to speak louder to get them to hear me. Now this may not be a problem with the mount it could be my device since when I tried using the wired headset that came with it, I got the same response about being not audible enough, so I think this could be a problem with my phone, the mount and the speaker and mic could be just fine. The best feature going for it is its ability to charge your phone as you use it in a call or as a GPS or just to have it in view to see whose calling you. I love the fact on how adjustable it is. You can pretty much configure it in any position that you could want. The pictures below show the pivot points for adjustment and the points where you can rotate the cradle. The big suction cup also is a plus, as long as the suction cup and the glass surface that you are mounting it to is clean, it will hold perfectly and securely, it even came with a mounting disk so that you can mount it on the dash of your car if you prefer.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Usability:

The most important thing about any product is how useful it is and how much use you can really get out of it. I used this mount a lot in the past couple of weeks, relying on it to hold my device securely so that I could use my device as a GPS. Not once did it fall from the windshield, or dislodge my device from the cradle. The adjusting knobs made it easy to position the cradle in a location where I wanted it which is what I really liked about the product. I love the fact that this product does what it says it does, without any problems what so ever. The handsfree system seems to work very well and I am pleased with its performance however I perfer my bluetooth headset, however if I couldn't use it this handsfree system would be the next best thing.

Attached Image

Conclusions:

For the price, which is $29.95 which is cheeper than when I started this review so its an even better deal, you get everything you would need to go handsfree and to take advantage of using your Pocket PC as a GPS. The quality is great and for the 4 weeks I have used it, I have no problems with it. If you are looking for a quality car mount, with added handsfree and charging capablities all in one unit then the WirelessGround AT&T Powered Car Mount is for you, I highly suggest you give it a try and for only 30 bucks, you can't go wrong. My contact within this company was extremly nice and understanding and I am sure that there customer service is just as good. Not only do they offer powerd mounts for the 8525 but they have them for the T-Mobile Dash and the Treo 680, 750, 750v. Make sure you check out there assortment for your device, they seem to have a good selection.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:33 AM