IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Minimalist Approach to Syncing and Charging, Mac Media Sync Cable and PowerFlex
abatis
post Oct 23 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Even if you don't have a Samsung i730 or one of the Mac Media supported devices I think this review will give you some ideas on syncing and charging your phone with less bulky equipment. Recently I bought the Samsung factory USB sync cable for my Samsung i730 PPC/phone. I was very disappointed to find out that the cable did not also charge the phone while connected to my laptop.  I spent over $20 on a heavy, bulky one trick pony.  Frustrated with the factory sync cable, I started to do a little searching and I found a web comment on sync-cables by Kent from Mac Media USA. Kent suggested I try their sync-cable for the Samsung i730. The Mac Media cable was only $12.95 and it allows for data connection and USB charging.

I also added the Mac Media PowerFlex Charger ($19.95) which is discussed below. Mac Media carries sync-cables for a number of devices.

Let's start with the sync-cable. Shown in the first photo is the 3ft long retractable sync-cable. Just pull on both ends to extend the cable to whatever length you want up to 3ft. Give each end a little tug to retract the unit. A nice, compact well constructed cable with retractor.

The second photo shows the Mac Media Sync-Cable next to the disappointing
Samsung data cable. There is quite a difference in how much room is taken up in
your brief case, pocket or bag. 

Photo 3 shows the two sync cables extended. The Samsung is 4 ft long so it has a little more
reach. I really do not need the extra reach, however Mac media does make a 4ft
straight cable for the i730. 

Next grab the PowerFlex charger. It works in both AC and DC mode so one charger is all you
need in the car, office, hotel or home. The unit is well designed. It has little
tabs to make pulling out the AC adapter easy. You pull the end cover off for the
car charger option. Charge time seemed faster than the
factory charger. The unit costs $19.95.

Okay, so you travel and you want a sync-cable for connection to your PC, you
want a car charger for charging on the road, you need a wall charger for
charging  at night and you don't like tangles, weight and bulk. Take your
Mac Media retractable sync cable and your PowerFlex charger. The Mac Media
equipment on the left equals all that expensive factory gear on the right. I
know what I am packing for my next trip.

Have you ever been at the airport and you need to charge your phone. You spot an AC outlet but there is nothing to set your phone on or protect it from some bigfoot trampling it. Try this configuration with your PowerFlex and sync cable at your own risk. No cable laying around and the phone is off the ground. This is my own approach, I can't say Mac Media would approve. But sometimes you just need a charge.

In summary the Mac Media retracteable sync cable and PowerFlex charger are useful and cost effective accessories for your device. The PowerFlex can be used with most USB cables. I wish I had seen these items before I bought a Samsung Car Charger and data cable. I could have saved myself over $20.
Mac Media offers a no questions asked return policy. They are a quality web vendor and I like their cost effective sync and power options. You can order from Mac Media at  Mac Media

Regards,

abatis

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 23 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Looks cool. Something I will definitely have to get. Thanks for the review abatis.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 26 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Just ordered mine. If I'm not 100% satisfied, I'm holding you personally responsible abatis. J/K, but seriously, I will.

--------------------

+Quote Post
switchy85
post Oct 26 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,019
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

Do they have a web site? A quick gogle search turned up nothing. And neither did eBay. I'm at school and didn't have a lot of time to look, but a URl woudl be greatly appreciated as I may be interested.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 26 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

They are a quality web vendor and I like their cost effective sync and power options. You can order from Mac Media at  Mac Media

From the very end of his review. Their website is www.macmedia.com. Mine shipped within a couple hours of ordering today. I love quick shipping, so I'm very impressed so far. Now I just need to get the cable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Oct 27 2005, 03:42 AM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Oct 26 2005, 09:43 AM)
Just ordered mine.  If I'm not 100% satisfied, I'm holding you personally responsible abatis.  J/K, but seriously, I will.

Smeg,

I was thinking of you and GrYphon as I wrapped rubber bands around my Logitech Mobile Traveler to keep it from dangling like a wet noodle. But I think the sync cable will be just fine. The trick is to pull both ends at the same time. I really like the i730 and with the new sync cable and PowerFlex I am happy on the road.

Next step = selling my PDA2K- no need

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 27 2005, 03:52 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Hey, It's not my fault you have funny ears. It is a little to loose though, you're right. When I have it on my head it doesn't move, but getting it there can be annoying. I'm considering trying your rubber band trick out.

A sync/charge cable is pretty hard to mess up though, so I'm sure I'll be happy. I sure could use it right now with my power out though (going on 72 hours now, thanks Hurricane Wilma). I want to charge my extra battery in the car, but need the cradle to do that. But I'm online with my i730 tethered to my notebook, which I need the cradle for without a sync cable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
larryg
post Nov 11 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,489
PocketPC: HTC

Abatis,

does this cable also allow you to use the phone as a modem for your laptop?

Larry

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 11 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #9

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Larry,

Yes the cable works fine when using the phone as a modem. The cable supports all data, ActiveSync and charge functions available to the phone.

I wish they made laptop chargers that were this slick and compact. I would like a totally tangle free briefcase.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 11 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

I got mine very quickly, and have been very pleased with it. I have always like retractable sync cables to use while on the go.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:24 AM