IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> phone suddenly turned off, is this a sign of the end?
Xeno
post Sep 22 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #21

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 22 2006, 10:16 AM) *
There are a few other programs you can try, but I'm not sure how they will run or display on the 3125. Please do let us all know how, or if, they work. Here is Voice Signal. It says it is for upgrading your MPx220, so I don't know if it will run on any other phone, but it's worth a try. This is the same software the MPx220 had on it, so I hope it works for you. Here is a program called MobileSpeech that may or may not work. It looks like you can get a trial version of MobileSpeech here. I don't think VoiceSignal has a trial you can get to test with, I didn't see one anywhere. I'll be interested to hear your results.

Thanks for these leads. At least it gave me some hope.

I paid $20 for Voice Signal only to get the message (during installation) that "this is not a valid cd app."

I am now trying out the trial version of Mobile Speech and the results are worse than Fonix. If things change for the better I will report back, otherwise the search continues.

Edited to say things got worse. I spent $30 on Vito's Voice2Go only to learn that it does not work with the 3125.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Sep 22 2006, 06:44 PM

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 22 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #22

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

Oh man, sorry to hear how this is not working out for you! It sounds to me like you're going to be returning the 3125 unless you get pointed toward some other voice command system soon. So, I wanted to encourage you to give the eBay route a try.

You said you're not technical enough to buy a 220 from eBay and get it working right. There's two ways you can go via eBay. The first way (the way I think you're most hesitant about) is to buy a 220 that has some other ROM on it other than Cingular's and you see yourself having to flash it to make it work, or, having to input all Cingular's settings manually. First off - the ROM. I flashed my 220 to one of the Asian ROMs and it worked on Cingular's network just fine. The data settings do need to be entered as they are not there by default so, secondly there is a cab file on this site that you can install and it will do all that for you. It worked perfect with my 220. I know you can install programs so the cab file surely is not a big deal for you. The ONLY thing you WOULD have to do IF you go the Asian ROM route is a few registry edits to get the language set to English and a few other minor things. Omega has a great easy to follow tutorial on his blog on this site that will lead you through it. It's not hard at all. I did it! I think you are highly motivated and could do it too!!

The second way you could go on eBay is to just buy a 220 that is already being used on Cingular. I don't think you'd have to do anything with it besides putting your SIM card in and go.

I've bought several phones off of eBay and there is some risk of course. I find it best to deal with an individual and not a high volume eBayer. Individuals are just like you and me and you just ask up front if the phone has ANY issues (plus, will they take it back and refund your $$ if it's less than advertised) and judge the seller by their feedback. It's not perfect, but since you seem married to the 220 at this point, it might be worth the risk - not to mention maybe the ONLY avenue left open to you.

My first eBay 220 was terrible but the seller gave me a complete refund. My second one was/is wonderful and I LOVE it and would still be using it today if I hadn't decided I just had to have wifi.

There is lots of help here for you if you get a phone off of eBay that needs some tweaking to get it going on Cingular. Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 22 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #23

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Sep 22 2006, 05:11 PM) *
Oh man, sorry to hear how this is not working out for you! It sounds to me like you're going to be returning the 3125 unless you get pointed toward some other voice command system soon. So, I wanted to encourage you to give the eBay route a try.

You said you're not technical enough to buy a 220 from eBay and get it working right. There's two ways you can go via eBay. The first way (the way I think you're most hesitant about) is to buy a 220 that has some other ROM on it other than Cingular's and you see yourself having to flash it to make it work, or, having to input all Cingular's settings manually. First off - the ROM. I flashed my 220 to one of the Asian ROMs and it worked on Cingular's network just fine. The data settings do need to be entered as they are not there by default so, secondly there is a cab file on this site that you can install and it will do all that for you. It worked perfect with my 220. I know you can install programs so the cab file surely is not a big deal for you. The ONLY thing you WOULD have to do IF you go the Asian ROM route is a few registry edits to get the language set to English and a few other minor things. Omega has a great easy to follow tutorial on his blog on this site that will lead you through it. It's not hard at all. I did it! I think you are highly motivated and could do it too!!

The second way you could go on eBay is to just buy a 220 that is already being used on Cingular. I don't think you'd have to do anything with it besides putting your SIM card in and go.

I've bought several phones off of eBay and there is some risk of course. I find it best to deal with an individual and not a high volume eBayer. Individuals are just like you and me and you just ask up front if the phone has ANY issues (plus, will they take it back and refund your $$ if it's less than advertised) and judge the seller by their feedback. It's not perfect, but since you seem married to the 220 at this point, it might be worth the risk - not to mention maybe the ONLY avenue left open to you.

My first eBay 220 was terrible but the seller gave me a complete refund. My second one was/is wonderful and I LOVE it and would still be using it today if I hadn't decided I just had to have wifi.

There is lots of help here for you if you get a phone off of eBay that needs some tweaking to get it going on Cingular. Good luck!

Are there ever any new MPX 220s on Ebay that are Cingular branded?

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 22 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #24

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Never say never...but, it's doubtful. Can you get a very good condition used 220 already setup for Cingular? Better odds on this one. Can you get a very good condition used 220 NOT already on Cingular? Even better odds on this one.

The bad 220 I got was a used silver one that was already being used on Cingular's network. The seller described it as having light signs of use. I asked VERY pointed questions before I bid regarding the condition and was reassured the phone was in good condition (he had no photos for me to eyeball myself...should have been a red flag for me). This was an idividual seller with perfect feedback. When it arrived, I swear it looked like it'd been used as a hocky puck. The charging port would not work all the time. The camera took what looked like high-art photos with crazy colors and all. And, last, but not least, the phone would randomly shut down a couple times a day! ohmy.gif I wrote to him and told him the phone was unacceptable and after pointing out all the reasons why he gave me a complete refund.

Bruised...I went looking for another 220. This time I found a black 220 without the Cingular ROM (black 220s were not originally sold in the USA so they usually come with a generic ROM) from an individual with perfect feedback. I asked very specific questions about the condition of the phone and got the answers I wanted to hear. I crossed my fingers and bid. It arrived and looked and operated like a brand new phone.

You win some, you lose some...literally. Ya place ya bets, ya takes your chances. My biggest advice is to ask very directly about scratches on the screens, about charging (does it only charge via USB?), and ask if the photo posted is ACTUALLY the phone they are selling? Many sellers use someone else's image. I really want to see the actual phone I'll be getting if I win! Even at that, you might get some really blurry image. I swear, what is up with all the cruddy photos on eBay? If it's so terrible, I assume they're hiding something and I won't chance it. Also, watch out for excessivley high shipping charges. IF you get burned and need to go through eBay and/or PayPal for a refund...you will not get back what you paid for shipping charges + the first $25 (don't quote me on that). That's one of the reasons why you see things selling for a penny and $29.00 shipping. In this scenario you'd only be able to recoup the penny. But, you wouldn't even be able to get that back since it's not even $25 dollars. If the item cost $26 + $29 shipping you'd only be able to get back $1...if $25 is still the price eBay charges for going after the seller for you. Check into it and know what's at risk.

I think there are plenty of gently used phones available on eBay...and there are plenty of hockey pucks!

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 23 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #25

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Sep 22 2006, 06:49 PM) *
Never say never...but, it's doubtful. Can you get a very good condition used 220 already setup for Cingular? Better odds on this one. Can you get a very good condition used 220 NOT already on Cingular? Even better odds on this one.

The bad 220 I got was a used silver one that was already being used on Cingular's network. The seller described it as having light signs of use. I asked VERY pointed questions before I bid regarding the condition and was reassured the phone was in good condition (he had no photos for me to eyeball myself...should have been a red flag for me). This was an idividual seller with perfect feedback. When it arrived, I swear it looked like it'd been used as a hocky puck. The charging port would not work all the time. The camera took what looked like high-art photos with crazy colors and all. And, last, but not least, the phone would randomly shut down a couple times a day! ohmy.gif I wrote to him and told him the phone was unacceptable and after pointing out all the reasons why he gave me a complete refund.

Bruised...I went looking for another 220. This time I found a black 220 without the Cingular ROM (black 220s were not originally sold in the USA so they usually come with a generic ROM) from an individual with perfect feedback. I asked very specific questions about the condition of the phone and got the answers I wanted to hear. I crossed my fingers and bid. It arrived and looked and operated like a brand new phone.

You win some, you lose some...literally. Ya place ya bets, ya takes your chances. My biggest advice is to ask very directly about scratches on the screens, about charging (does it only charge via USB?), and ask if the photo posted is ACTUALLY the phone they are selling? Many sellers use someone else's image. I really want to see the actual phone I'll be getting if I win! Even at that, you might get some really blurry image. I swear, what is up with all the cruddy photos on eBay? If it's so terrible, I assume they're hiding something and I won't chance it. Also, watch out for excessivley high shipping charges. IF you get burned and need to go through eBay and/or PayPal for a refund...you will not get back what you paid for shipping charges + the first $25 (don't quote me on that). That's one of the reasons why you see things selling for a penny and $29.00 shipping. In this scenario you'd only be able to recoup the penny. But, you wouldn't even be able to get that back since it's not even $25 dollars. If the item cost $26 + $29 shipping you'd only be able to get back $1...if $25 is still the price eBay charges for going after the seller for you. Check into it and know what's at risk.

I think there are plenty of gently used phones available on eBay...and there are plenty of hockey pucks!

Good luck!

I lack expertise in this field so it would be easy for me to (1) get burned or (2) get a good unit but not know how to configure the primary fetures to work with Cingular or (3) satisfy the few demands that I put on this phone. I will say one thing about the 3125, the camera is light years ahead of the MPX 220 and that has been perhaps my primary sore spot with the MPX.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 23 2006, 01:14 AM
Post #26

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (Xeno @ Sep 22 2006, 05:26 PM) *
I lack expertise in this field so it would be easy for me to (1) get burned
yeah, that's always a possibility...but, if you HAVE to have a 220 I just don't know another way unless you wait around for someone on this board (or, another that you trust) who is willing to sell to you a 220 all set up and ready to go on Cingular. Hmm...I have a 220 all set up and ready to go on Cingular...hmm. And, I've been tossing around the idea of getting a 3125... wink.gif I kid...sort of. laugh.gif
or (2) get a good unit but not know how to configure the primary fetures to work with Cingular
I know you could get help with that right here! I'd be here to help you as well as everyone else!! smile.gif Also, the cab files work great!! Unless, I'm not understanding what you mean by that. Are you referring to getting the settings into the phone so you can text message, MMS, and surf the internet?
or (3) satisfy the few demands that I put on this phone.
Hmm, lost me there. unsure.gif What's that mean?
I will say one thing about the 3125, the camera is light years ahead of the MPX 220 and that has been perhaps my primary sore spot with the MPX.
I wonder if your 220 camera was just bad to begin with? I've heard lots of folks complain about the camera and I know we all have different expectations...but, I compared my 220's camera to my sister's brand new RAZR (look for it on this board if you're interested in what I think is an acceptable image from a phone's camera...it's in the 220 forum) and I thought my 220 shot better pics. That said, if the camera in the 3125 is the same as the camera in my i-mate (or better!)...it takes good photos (for a phone) IMHO. The 3125 and my i-mate are made by the same company (HTC), with the 3125 being newer and therefore perhaps having an even better camera on it. Though, the specs on paper look the same from what I've read. Sadly, I have to note the passing of the camera on my 220. It doesn't work reliably any longer. It works sometimes but not all the time. I just bought a new ribbon cable for it thinking that was the culprit (from all that I'd read). I installed it, and it works the same...meaning it doesn't really. sad.gif That would really bum me out if I was still carrying that phone. The phone is being used by another family member and they could care less about the camera. ohmy.gif What is wrong with them? I dunno.

Anyway...back to you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 23 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #27

Gadget Junkie

Well, I think my MPX will hopefully last long enough that a device will finally come out that gives me what I want or the software that I need for voice command will be ready to use with whatever is available.
Sorry parts of my message aren't clear, but I am just saying that I don't use a smartphone to its full potential but the few features I use are critical. So the question is whether I could get an Ebay MPX and get those few programs to work correctly. All the talk here about various ROMs, for example, are beyond my skills.
There is nothing wrong with my camera, but it doesn't do as good a job as the M V600 that I passed on to my wife. And one advantage of keeping the 3125 is that I would have a camera that is better than either one of these devices.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 23 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #28

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Sep 18 2006, 05:48 PM) *
Voice Command, that is what I forgot to load. I will let you know how it works out when I get the chance to load it and test it out on this phone.

Have you done this yet? Anything to report?

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 23 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Unrelated to getting another MPx220, you can most likely contact the places you purchased the software from and get a refund for it. I'd hate to be out $50 for software I know didn't work. Of course, if you are planning on getting another MPx220 you could keep the VoiceSignal software to load the newest version on it when you get it.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Sep 23 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #30

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 23 2006, 10:20 AM) *
Unrelated to getting another MPx220, you can most likely contact the places you purchased the software from and get a refund for it. I'd hate to be out $50 for software I know didn't work. Of course, if you are planning on getting another MPx220 you could keep the VoiceSignal software to load the newest version on it when you get it.

I couldn't find phone numbers so sent email asking for refunds, but I am not optimistic at this point esp since one web (once I read it) said no refund if wrong device. My response to that was when you order that particular software it had a list of phones one of which was the Cingular 2125 so I just thought the list was not current. It turns out they meant for the software to only go with the MPX 220 period as it says on another page I didn't read in my haste. I reacted in blind faith to posts on this forum and hte Cingular forum when I should have been much more careful.

If I keep the MPX, not sure that the "upgrade" software is something I would want unfortunately.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Sep 23 2006, 04:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:45 AM