> Corporate Cellphone Battle: Smartphone vs Blackberry
fuel007one
post Nov 16 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,175
Phone: Cingular 3125
Carrier: Alltel

I love my 3125. In my company we also have an IT person who is very reluctant to address installing goodlink on the servers to allow the smartphones here to email properly. This has much to do with all the effort put forward previously just to get 2 blackberries running remotely smooth.

We have one employee who is carrying a regular cellphone AND a blackberry.

If anyone could help me to defend the smartphone platform over the Blackberry (which I detest) I would appreciate it greatly (advantages phone reception, etc).

Need some help here bigtime or I may be forced to use a 2x4 for a phone if I cannot prevail.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 16 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I'm not 100% certain how the Blackberry software functions, but I was under the impression that it was an add-on to the MS Exchange server. If that is indeed the case, all your IT person would have to do is enable Activesync on the Exchange server, and you could be syncing with it without the need for the BB software at all. I personally think it is a much more simple and functional solution than the BB software because it is all integrated without the need for additional software bundled on top.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
fuel007one
post Nov 17 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,175

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 16 2006, 05:44 PM) *
I'm not 100% certain how the Blackberry software functions, but I was under the impression that it was an add-on to the MS Exchange server. If that is indeed the case, all your IT person would have to do is enable Activesync on the Exchange server, and you could be syncing with it without the need for the BB software at all. I personally think it is a much more simple and functional solution than the BB software because it is all integrated without the need for additional software bundled on top.

Thanks so much for the response Smeg. Omega made mention of this same solution as well earlier (i.e. no need for Good service/software). Talked with an IT manager with another company (I am anything but an IT person...) who employs 80 phones and he told me that they used Good but that it was due to their having Exchange 2002 at the time. Now that they are running 2003 Server with SP2 he told me that this should be easily done via permissioning Activesync.

I tried to drum up some white papers from MSFT and once I passed them to our IT guy he acted as if this was going to be a very large undertaking. Due to that attitude (deserved or not since I know next to nothing about servers) this is taking on a whole new dimension with management taking the position: "we already have Blackberry why don't we all just use that."

I have friends with Blackberries that are using multiple devices due to poor phone reception/performance of the Blackberry but want the email viewing "superiority" (read: another IT manager does NOT want to mess with 2 formats in the company) of the the Blackberry vs the "screwey" email push/pull functionality of the smartphone.

I do feel that this email functionality is THE MAJOR difference between SELLING smartphones to companies vs Blackberries; the RIM solution supposedly takes it offsite, off the server, hence presumably far easier for an overworked IT guy to say "let's just stick with Blackberries." Could be wrong but if true that SICKENS me.

Does anyone have any knowledge or articles on phone reception of the Blackberry vs a GSM Smartphone since that should be one of, if not the, primary concern of this????

Again, thanks Smeg.

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Nov 18 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #4

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525

This probably doesn't help your case, but our little office of around 100+ employees is going with Cingular's 8125s and 3125s. When we met last week, 8125 was the prize because the group is older and wants a keyboard. I am the only one with a 3125.
On the other hand, a big selling point was being able to work on email during the flight or Word documents or to carry Powerpoint presentations on a storage card. Some started to think that they would no longer need to carry around a laptop on theit trips.
I tried a complicated Ppt on my 3125 and all the animations didn't work plus you have to have a projector or adaptor to take the BT signal which is not common in our circles.
Anyway, as far as syn email, calendar, etc, these phones work well with the workstations at the office. And I get very good phone reception on my 3125 and suppose the same is true of the 8125.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Nov 18 2006, 11:08 PM

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43

+Quote Post
mkestu
post Nov 19 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #5

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,088
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Other

My two cents...

Sounds like your IT guys is afraid to try it because it's something new to learn....chicken!

We have an exchange server and 4-5 smartphones and 3 BB's, our IT guy hooked me up without much effort, it was his second time doing it.

He already had the server end of things setup, and as posted above, it was just a matter of a few entries to setup ActiveSync and enable "pushing".

I don't have any experience with BB's, but it seems pretty obvious that the Smartphones are far more capable.

--------------------
Mike S (mkestu)

HTC StarTrek aka 3125
1G microSD
ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Bluespoon AX2 & JawBoneII
Garmin GPS10x BT GPS

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Nov 19 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #6

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600

Here's a link to a pile of Microsoft Windows Mobile "Strategy Papers" that may help you convince your IT department to support the Windows Mobile platform.

That's the good news.

But, depending on the size of your firm, adding in another "official" mobile platform can represent a lot of work. I think it's fair to say that 99% of IT departments are understaffed. That means the "if it ain't broke" mentality becomes a pragmatic approach to prioritizing what projects to work on.

Back when NTP and RIM were playing chicken over patents and payments, Corporate America was waking up to the fact that they had become hooked to mobile e-mail from RIM. SO they started learning about companies like Extended Systems, Good, Intellisync, JPMobile, Seven, Smartner, and Visto. Many of these companies have been bought up by larger players because they deem this market so important.

So, what will it take to convince an IT department to investigate a non-RIM mobile e-mail solution? I suggest four things:

1) employee demand - especially fom the executives who forced RIM down so many IT throats in the first place
2) an easy co-existance strategy
3) lower annual maintenance costs - follow the money!
4) robust security on par or better than with RIM

I think the first requirement is building up steam fast. The second requirement I'm lead to believe exists, but does require some work from IT to implement, test and deploy. The third requirement needs to be proven - and here is where Microsoft can price things right to help. The last requirement - security - currently is currently not met, at least that's what analysts covering this market have been saying.

"Email security is also questionable for Windows Mobile devices, Avi Greengart, principal analyst with Current Analysis says.

Unlike the BlackBerry, there is no end-to-end security on the native email client," he said.

Todd Kort of Gartner Inc agreed, noting that in Windows Mobile "there's not a lot of great security" for email. Companies are better off adding in third-party software for email and mobile email security and management, he said – Good Mobile Messaging (formerly GoodLink), for example, which he believes is better than Microsoft's native email.

"I'm expecting Microsoft to get there eventually; right now, though, they're not at the first tier with RIM and Good," Kort said of Windows Mobile's email.

Source: TechTarget

And this:

"Analyst Jack Gold, who runs J. Gold Associates, says that devices running Mobile 5 — unlike those using Good Technology, Sybase or Research in Motion — can't encrypt data. Gold says that the data is encrypted between the Microsoft Exchange Server and the OS because the link is made with a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) connection. However, once the data arrives, it is unencrypted because AirSync — the version of ActiveSync used for mobile devices — can't handle encrypted data. If Gold's assertions are verified, it could be a big problem for Microsoft's mobile efforts."

Source: ITBusiness Edge

Comments like these mean IT departments can justify doing nothing for a while. That is, until there is so much demand they are forced into action.

There is a silver lining however. Large organizations across the world are implementing Identity and Access Management solutions to help streamline their IT security and ensure regulatory compliance. And required IAM capabilities are being baked into MS corporate solutions.

So, let's end on an up note. Heres' that link the Microsoft Windows Mobile "Strategy Papers" again.

Good luck!

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:17 AM