Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So far so good
sclui56
post Sep 29 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,021

After using the A11 for the last 6 days, I've found this unit to be quite nice all in all. I believe the major difference between this and other SP out there is the flip out KB, I need to preface that I am NOT very fond of thumb-boards, and I have almost never used the one on my Treo 600 except when I cannot recall the Grafitti stroke - why? because the keys are just too close together, and the last thumb-board I was comfortable in using was off the HP 200LX, so it's been a long time.

The A11 is quite stable, but I also tend to be pro-active when it comes to running tasks. Besides the somewhat minor but annoying issue with the charging circuit I mentioned elsewhere, I have yet to get the Voq personal mail to work under IMAP, I suspect it has to do with the lack of port assignment, not entirely a problem since there's always the not-so-efficient built-in INBOX.

One other bug I have come across is that sometimes when an incoming call is announced, the phone would ring once, display the caller ID, then switch to the Missed Call notification, then it would continue to ring as though there's yet another incoming call. While this is happening on the A11, the originating handset would not indicate there's a problem as it continues to ring. This is a potential problem because the call may be routed to voice mail at some point.

Other than that, I also wished SW designed the LED differently - right now it can display solid green (full charge, well actually it's not necessarily fully charge, just that the circuit stops charging), solid red (charging), and blinking green (when the phone is on the cell netwrok, this is displayed when the A11 goes into screen-saver mode).

So what about using it for message notification? As far as accessing the external card, I find it a bit slow for a device with the current processor, may be the data path is not optimized? I don;t have another MS SP to compare to so this is purely subjective. May be I'll swap out the standard SanDisk 512M SD and use my new 1G KingMax to see if there's any improvement.

As one other member had indicated, the phone feels "plasticky", but it is solid, and we really do need a fix for the power button while the unit is in locked mode, I ended up turning off the unit unknowingly while it's in a horizontal belt case, and I also kept pressing the action button (joy stick) very frequently and bringing up x-Bar2 since the joystick is not flush.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Sep 30 2004, 08:04 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Paul over at Modaco commented at the bug with the key lock and the phone turning off in his pocket. I carry mine in my pocket and haven't experienced this yet but I see it will turn off in with it locked.

I am using a 1GB PQI SD and it seems to work fine. I play movies off the SD with BetaPlayer. I have BetaPlayer installed on the SD as well and it works fine. Your perception may be the SD card you a using. I still have an MPX200 to compare to and I think this phone is smoother in operation than the MPX200.

Please keep reporting your finding. Have you settled on a Homescreen yet?

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
sclui56
post Sep 30 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I believe it's just my perception as far as the SD access goes, I switched over to the 60x 1G KingMax card and it feels almost identical, the speed I refer to is simply the initial load time, data access seems to be fine with either the SanDisk or the KingMax.

I alternate the homescreen between the built-in basic and one fairly basic one I made when I had the Mpx200, I really love some of the other ones such as the "brushed 1.2", but bewteen the required plug-in's and small fonts, I decided the more simple ones suit my failing vision better wink.gif

One thing I forgot to mention is that I find MyVoq a very useful search/shortcut tool, and the voice comand has also worked very well.

I certainly hope that this handset will gain some popularity, but it may be tough without carrier subsidy.

+Quote Post
abatis
post Oct 22 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Well I am siting here in the Baltimore Airport with my Laptop connected to my Voq and saw Slackers post on the MPX220 volume issue. It really makes me appreciate that Voq did such a nice job engineering this phone before they released it. Hopefully they will sell enough to keep their interest in the direct phone market. So far the Voq has been bullet proof for me.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
sclui56
post Oct 22 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Yes, the Voq is ready for prim time, though I still don't like the charging circuit works. Their T/S informed me that it would NOT trickle charge unit it drops to ~90% (so the green LED stays lit up to that point), then it will switch to red & begin charging. There were a few times mine dropped to 70-80% with the green LED lit.

As for the 220, I am actually using it quite a bit, the volume is fine when using BT headset, except my HBH-60 is in the process of dying, and I don't want to buy the Moto 820 until I see the new Logitech first. I don't mind keeping the 220 since I'm in it for $349+tax, though not nearly as sweet as Slacker's $250+tax deal wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:07 PM